advertisement

Cultural Imperialism via junk food

I don't quite know where it stands in the realm of cultural imperialism, but apparently KFC Germany has had to apologise after urging its customers to celebrate the anniversary of Kristallnacht by 'treating themselves with more tender cheese on their crispy chicken'.

Not sure what you can say to that.

Apart from it's wrongness on several levels, it just goes to show what happens when you rely on algorithms to run your publicity campaigns.

The black truffle, mushroom and Swiss cheese burger with onion rings at the Burger King in Phuket airport was outstanding!

I've been holidaying/touring France for over 40 years. Used to avoid péage with my old sports cars and bikes and found great Relais/Routiers, small auberges and roadside friteries. As I've got older I use the autoroute system more until a 4 week tour this year, so shocked, none of the aforementioned left. None. Every few km there are hoardings advertising the fallen arches or some other American shite export. I really thought the French were serious about their food but judging by the size of most citizens there these days, perhaps not. There's a lot of money in making poor people die younger.

There's a lot of money in making poor people die younger.

Are fast food emporiums solely aimed at poor people?

Do you associate being poor with being unable to make any choice as to where to eat?

I am not convinced that poor people are the only patrons of fast food joints.
In fact, I reckon some are unable to afford it.

Reactions: Cav

Do you associate being poor with being unable to make any choice as to where to eat?

Regarding your first point I suspect 99p Big Macs are.
Regarding your second, being poor tends to limit choice and it's natural that people may want to eat out from time to time.
Re the third I agree
Re the fourth yes 99p is more than 3 times the cost of a Lee Anderson recipe but the latter may be out of date as cooking and staying warm is dearer.

Have you ever attempted to eat soup with chopsticks?

Actually, yes:

how-to-eat-pho.jpg

What about cultural imperialism through music -rap and hip-hop - via MTV?

Or through cinema through large Corporations buying out all independent cinemas?

In the Pixar animation film Wall-e the Earth’s government is run by a massive corporation called Buy & Large.

All adults should watch it.

No, but some of their products are. Fast food outlets want to be as attractive as they can to as many people as they can, for obvious reasons.

Poor people have fewer choices as to where to eat. They aren't going to be going to The Ivy, after all.

No, they're not.

I'm sure that they are unable to afford it. I used to live around the corner from a parade of shops with a couple of takeaway outlets. It wasn't a wealthy bit of town. Whenever I passed that way, the people I saw in there were almost invariably the people who could least afford it.

There are a number of reasons why people choose to eat fast food, as with many things there is no "one size fits all" explanation, though there are certain observations that can be made as with any population. Observations such as "most people at Glyndebourne are wealthy, educated and middle class" are almost certainly true but it doesn't mean that everybody there fits that description.

I've been holidaying/touring France for over 40 years. Used to avoid péage with my old sports cars and bikes and found great Relais/Routiers, small auberges and roadside friteries. As I've got older I use the autoroute system more until a 4 week tour this year, so shocked, none of the aforementioned left. None. Every few km there are hoardings advertising the fallen arches or some other American shite export. I really thought the French were serious about their food but judging by the size of most citizens there these days, perhaps not. There's a lot of money in making poor people die younger.
The French are serious about their food, but they are prepared to have McDo every now and then as a form of culinary entertainment. They seem not to regard the stuff as food but as an interesting diversion.

Around 1960 my mother would take me to a Wimpy on Seymour street, corner of what is now the A5 but used to be Edgeware Road. Loved it! But I was 8 or 9.

Around 1960 my mother would take me to a Wimpy on Seymour street, corner of what is now the A5 but used to be Edgeware Road. Loved it! But I was 8 or 9.
I remember asking to go to a Wimpy while shopping at a similar age and being told no in such a tone that it was clear that there would be no further discourse on the subject.

advertisement

Back