advertisement

Cultural Imperialism via junk food

What impresses me most is the capacity of these food giants to make us believe that their meals were cheap. They aren’t.

If you are into really cheap ready-made food, get some at Aldi or Lidl. In truth it’s expensive too, because most of the time you’ll throw it in the bin.

If Taco Bell goes complacent and sloppy, what will be the first sign?

You should experience a well-run Taco Bell just once. The stuff almost tastes like food. It's amazing. I don't think I've come across one in over thirty years, but there used to be one here down the street from the local university. It was run by an ex drill sergeant, and he had his crew whipped into shape. I wouldn't know how to find such a thing today, unless there's a location having a Grand Opening. But there's no point, when I can find a taqueria run by real Mexicans, and it's cheaper than Taco Bell.

There's a Taco Bell in Nottingham now, close to the Victoria Centre. I haven't been, perhaps if I arrange to go to the cinema with a mate I might do. There is also a new place that's just opened up where a Burger King once lived, I think it's called Illinois Chicken or something like that!

I am not a huge consumer of junk food, generally only having it a couple of times a year

Here in Sweden, a couple of decades ago there was a burger chain called Clock. It was lousy and sloppy. But, guess what? It was owned by the Swedish government!!!!!!!

There's a Taco Bell in Nottingham now, close to the Victoria Centre. I haven't been, perhaps if I arrange to go to the cinema with a mate I might do. There is also a new place that's just opened up where a Burger King once lived, I think it's called Illinois Chicken or something like that!

I am not a huge consumer of junk food, generally only having it a couple of times a year

Ay Up Duck, yerrate?

Enough with the pleasantries.

We saw that Taco Bell the other day, and there is on now near what was the Rosemary centre in Mansfield as well.
Not patronised the establishments because the food doesn’t suit me. I have been in a Taco Bell in Chicago, once was enough.

I haven't set foot in most of the named 'restaurants' in the Grauniad article. It's just rubbish as far as I'm concerned. In an emergency (I get properly 'hangry' as the kids say) I'll have KFC or McD's. And regret the fact that I ate it.

It's no wonder we have an obesity problem, I find that I really have to look quite hard for healthy options in cafes and restaurants. Small independents are best, I find.

Don't beat about the bush, Bob!

Presumably everyone else within range too.
I blame the corporatist European Union Hegemon, particularly the French. There’s no one like the French for collaboration with the plastic cheese style polymer ( low melting point for lower margins), tomato style paste, mushrooms ( raised on Three Mile Island drainage flow) and the famous cheese filled crust. C’mon who doesn’t love that perfect corn syrup, trans fat, NaCl cocktail?
Let’s be havin our Brexit Island discounts,

pB1hhoR.jpg

I blame the corporatist European Union Hegemon, particularly the French. There’s no one like the French for collaboration with the plastic cheese style polymer ( low melting point for lower margins), tomato style paste, mushrooms ( raised on Three Mile Island drainage flow) and the famous cheese filled crust.
There was a Franco-Belgian chain called Quick (although I think they may now have been absorbed into Burger King.) After experiencing a meal in one of their restaurants Bill Bryson surmised the name was short for ‘Quick, a bucket!’

We spent some time in the States recently. Fast food is everywhere.

But it doesn't have to be all burgers and chips.

Panera Bread for example was eveything but that.

Huge choice of salads and breads. Unsweetened tea on tap.

It seemed very popular too.
All the people are inside.

Last edited:
I don't quite know where it stands in the realm of cultural imperialism, but apparently KFC Germany has had to apologise after urging its customers to celebrate the anniversary of Kristallnacht by 'treating themselves with more tender cheese on their crispy chicken'.

Not sure what you can say to that.

advertisement

Back