advertisement

MoFi SourcePoint 10

That's a narrow description of a horn. Any flared surface that uses increasing volumetric cross section to give increased output amplitude counts as a horn. Shallow curve, or straight sided, doesn't matter.

I imagine it'll not be without its niggles re thd fine detail of the handover between drivers, but I also imagine it'll be a riot.

$3699 will be £4k+ with the state of the Quid

Bookshelves must be a lot bigger in the States
mofi-sourcepoint-10-loudspeaker-walnut-on-stand.jpg
Oh my:p

Both pepper pots and tulip Tannoy DC s have horn loaded HF. The pepper pot compression ratio is 15 to1 whilst the Tulip is a 5 to 1 device, the former has an exponential horn the latter is hyperbolic, both require 5-6 dB/octave crossover compensation common to compression drivers, both profiles control directivity it's just that the pepperpots came before the term acoustic waveguide was coined.
These mofi look totally unremarkable.

Given the elevated prices of HiFi these days I don’t think these look out of line at all. In fact I was a bit surprised they haven’t been pitched higher. Reading through the specs I was fully expecting price to be something along the lines of these:

106551851_3683404648342386_8301368271781410709_n-1.jpg

Finkteam Kim at £10,700. What else is available these days with 10” mid/bass units in a 50 litre cabinet, serious designer cred and strongly influenced by controlled directivity performance. I think they have the potential to be very good and a really popular speaker at this price point. My only reservation is that MoFi Electronics seem to oriented towards the vinyl/turntable world and I hope (perhaps unjustified) they haven’t been tuned to provide a warm, soft, “unchallenging” sound (that was a bit of a nitpick levelled at his otherwise well received Elac Debut Reference standmounts). If he’s gone for good and neutral objective performance, I.e. a flat on-axis anachoic response with a smooth directivity index and properly tilted in-room response, I think these have a good chance of sounding right up my street.

Given the elevated prices of HiFi these days I don’t think these look out of line at all. In fact I was a bit surprised they haven’t been pitched higher. Reading through the specs I was fully expecting price to be something along the lines of these:

106551851_3683404648342386_8301368271781410709_n-1.jpg

Finkteam Kim at £10,700. What else is available these days with 10” mid/bass units in a 50 litre cabinet, serious designer cred and strongly influenced by controlled directivity performance. I think they have the potential to be very good and a really popular speaker at this price point. My only reservation is that MoFi Electronics seem to oriented towards the vinyl/turntable world and I hope (perhaps unjustified) they haven’t been tuned to provide a warm, soft, “unchallenging” sound (that was a bit of a nitpick levelled at his otherwise well received Elac Debut Reference standmounts). If he’s gone for good and neutral objective performance, I.e. a flat on-axis anachoic response with a smooth directivity index and properly tilted in-room response, I think these have a good chance of sounding right up my street.
I didn't say this, but I was thinking it! :)

Don't Tannoy GRFs, as an example, count as a horn-loaded speaker from the mid-bass on up?

1968c.jpg

Joe

I don’t subscribe to the “point source is the be all and end all” theory, personally.

However, that said, given how impressed I’ve been with some of his previous designs, particularly the Elac Debut B6.2s which were utterly astonishing, I’d expect these to be pretty good.

Based on many of Guttenburg's reviews, kind of lukewarm. The biggest ding seems to be a bit of a bright tweeter. Feedback from the CAF this weekend will be interesting.

Based on many of Guttenburg's reviews, kind of lukewarm. The biggest ding seems to be a bit of a bright tweeter. Feedback from the CAF this weekend will be interesting.

just about everything at CAF sounded bright to me last year. Looking forward to checking these out Sunday

I’ve not watched the video (will do later), but if it is a proper dual concentric point source it really won’t care as the bass cone is the horn. Treble won’t see any of the baffle, and the bass doesn’t care. The faceting is cosmetic, the point is to get the horn to the front of the cab and away from diffraction, which it looks to do. I’d personally be more concerned about mass, that looks like a heavy baffle!
The baffles is 2 inches thick and the speaker weighs 21kg

It does seem a strange mix of retro cabinet (that looks like it should take a cloth grille) and storm trooper baffle that presumably can't. I also tend to think that a point source is only really relevant for near field listening or small rooms where you're sitting in the "sweet spot".

Edit: it would appear that they do actually come with grilles and they actually look a lot nicer with them on ;)

They are priced pretty much the same as the recent reboot of the Tannoy Eaton, which makes sense. A different take on the same basic concept.

advertisement

Back