advertisement

Her Majesty the Queen RIP

Putting the final pieces in place for my own personal vigil of remembrance. Borrowing a wheelchair from Pam next door to transport the sleeping bag and various bits to the Green Park side of the Mall tomorrow night. Plan to select a good pitch and spend the night. Added advantage is no one will stand in front of me on the big day because they will assume I’m an actual cripple.

Hearing the TV interviews with members of the queue it struck me that most are on a secular pilgrimmage. The hardships are part of the archetypal process.

RIP eventually.

What an extraordinary experience it must have been for those in Westminster Hall during the national silence.

Well here I am at Green Park and I’m very excited about seeing all the sailors. Luckily there is a Portaloo nearby and at 7.00am only a 20 minute queue! Had a good clear out and now back in the chair and looking forward to paying more respects. We have merry band of mourners here; Joyce and Brian from Farnham to the left and Doreen and Stuart all the way from Moffat to the right. Stuart’s got a little Union Jack which shows we are still very much a United Kingdom. A Kingdom united in grief.

The great and the good are piling into Westminster Abbey. Some lovely scenes from HM travels throughout the commonwealth being shown on the BBC.

Well here I am at Green Park and I’m very excited about seeing all the sailors. Luckily there is a Portaloo nearby and at 7.00am only a 20 minute queue! Had a good clear out and now back in the chair and looking forward to paying more respects. We have merry band of mourners here; Joyce and Brian from Farnham to the left and Doreen and Stuart all the way from Moffat to the right. Stuart’s got a little Union Jack which shows we are still very much a United Kingdom. A Kingdom united in grief.

One Scotsman does not a Kingdom make.

Hearing the TV interviews with members of the queue it struck me that most are on a secular pilgrimmage. The hardships are part of the archetypal process.

RIP eventually.

Secular?

She was head of the state church and 'defender of the faith'.

The Archbishop of Canterbury remarked on her coronation 'This country and commonwealth last Tuesday were not far from the Kingdom of Heaven.'

Not a lot happening just now so I thought I'd update on the journey down from MK- home of the mighty Dons! Very busy train but due to the wheelchair bagged a disabled table so all good. Raised a glass of stout to Her Maj and someone kindly gave me a sausage roll. It is humbling to think I am on the verge of being part of “the most important event the world will ever see”.

Listening on Radio Four with my Trough-Line made in 1957. I prefer radio to TV, so have not had one or a TV License since 2002. I could get a huge fine for watching a livestream of video ...

I shall enjoy the music when we get to the actual funeral.

Best wishes from George

It really isn't the most important event the world will ever see. It's not even the most important thing in the world right now. It's an important event in the UK s history. It's the funeral of our head of state. Due respect is due, and given, the message ends.

Let's face it, the coffin being carried into the church is an impressive sight. And one thing you brits master like no others, is choral music. I'm not interested in the ceremony, but the beginning was worth watching for the choir alone.

You have to admit that the Anglican Church does music well - that final chorus of "The day Thou gavest, Lord, has ended" with the soaring descant and brass reinforcement, was quite spine-chilling.

advertisement

Back