advertisement

Texting Whilst Driving

Spraggons Den

pfm Member
I usually walk the dog in the evening and tbh its a bit of a route-march after a long day at work.

Over the last couple of weeks though I have been walking the cavapoo twice a day at mid-morning and mid-afternoon as part of my convalescence from surgery. We have been going slowly as she likes to sniff every tree, lamppost, branch, blade of grass and I couldn't help noticing during our dawdle the number of motorists who are looking down (presumably at their phones) or driving with one hand on the wheel whilst texting with the other. I know it's against the law but I assume they feel there is no real threat of sanction because you hardly ever see a policeman nowadays.

So am I right in thinking they are risking injury to themselves and others for their own selfish reasons or is everyone doing it and I am just a middle-aged boring old fart?

.... or is everyone doing it

No, just the morons imo (though I'm certainly a boring middle-aged fart too).

I got shouted at by a cyclist not so long ago. While waiting at a t-junction for them to dawdle slowly past I was staring down at my grubby fingernails or something and they yelled 'put your bloody phone down' (or something similar). I managed to resist the vague urge to drive after them and knock them into the hedge :D

It’s amazing, everyone does it. But it’s not just text it’s Facebook/WhatsApp/Emails.

If involved in an accident the police now request the drivers phone provider to provide data so they can see if the phone was active (ie being used) at the time of accident.

There are a string of YouTube videos made by the police, showing actual on-scene footage from accidents caused by this.

The first one that I saw was caused by an HGV driver who killed 3(?) people and caused total chaos as well, not to mention almost countless injuries. He hit the back of stationary traffic, one car was buried under his cab so that the rescue services did not realise it was there. One family who were killed were traced via their microchipped dog, also killed.

I beleive he got 3 years. It was unintended, but stupid on a scale that defies belief. He should have got a lifetime ban as well.
He is interviewed in the video, and looks to be in prison.

If involved in an accident the police now request the drivers phone provider to provide data so they can see if the phone was active (ie being used) at the time of accident.

They have been doing that for a VERY long time. They can get conversations going back months, as in actual recordings.
An ex of mine in the CPS told me of a young lad (boy-racer), very early morning, talking dirty to a lady he was on the way to "visit". He killed an old boy crossing the road to or from the local papershop. This was at least 8 years ago.

I used to do it too, setting the music on spotify.

For the last couple of weeks I resorted to leaving the cell phone in the backpack, on the back seat.

Radio is good enough. And I feel safer. And the GF too, so that's said.

I see it all the time on my commute. Worst culprits are young blokes but there are plenty of middle aged people doing it too. Rarely see anyone who looks over 60 doing it.

If I’m later than normal getting out of London and get caught in traffic, there is a strong smell of cannabis up Blackheath Hill and across the Heath. I close my windows on the A2 but I bet you can smell it on there too.

Cheers BB

I've started back training at the gym I trained at for 20 years before Covid lockdown (not that it stopped the muppet who runs the gym as he made the national news for not closing etc) o_O

Only going there twice a week but going at around half 4, 5 o'clock and the amount of folk I notice looking down whilst stationary (generally young women and van drivers) and you can blatently see they're texting/WhatsApp'ing etc..

Clearly no shits are given until they roll into the back of someone... :rolleyes:

As with drinking or using drugs while driving, speed cameras and ANPR won't pick these things up. We've left the policing of road use to cameras, and this is what we get. Some of us saw this coming at the time, and argued against it. We were told we were were just anti speed-camera because we wanted to hurtle round the place killing and maiming people. :rolleyes:

6 points, £300 fine, plus a lot extra on your insurance.
Obviously not enough of a deterrent.
Until it is looked upon the same as drink driving it will persist.

As with drinking or using drugs while driving, speed cameras and ANPR won't pick these things up. We've left the policing of road use to cameras, and this is what we get. Some of us saw this coming at the time, and argued against it. We were told we were were just anti speed-camera because we wanted to hurtle round the place killing and maiming people. :rolleyes:
Well, there was at least one of these in use a few miles from me, not been past in a while.
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1527527/new-driving-law-roadside-cameras-mobile-phone

Many - most? - modern cars come with the equivalent of a tablet computer imbedded in the middle of the dashboard from which you control everything, including the radio, satnav, hands-free phone calls etc etc etc. My daughter has one in her Fiat 500. To get it fully functional you have to pair it with your smart phone which involves endless tapping, poking and swiping of both devices. Car manufacturers are encouraging this distracting and bloody dangerous behaviour.

Many - most? - modern cars come with the equivalent of a tablet computer imbedded in the middle of the dashboard from which you control everything, including the radio, satnav, hands-free phone calls etc etc etc. My daughter has one in her Fiat 500. To get it fully functional you have to pair it with your smart phone which involves endless tapping, poking and swiping of both devices. Car manufacturers are encouraging this distracting and bloody dangerous behaviour.
Agree. I've just changed my car and opted for a previous generation model (Volvo) because the current generation is all touchscreen and I want to be able to hit a button for a system or service, if I'm driving.

You only have to pair once?

FWIW depending on the consequences/offence type the said phone would be seized and checked.

advertisement

Back