advertisement

Heathrow

Perhaps if they offered salaries a bit higher than £12 an hour for baggage handlers etc. they could gear up quicker. Increase the salary on offer and you are more likely to get people applying and fill those positions.

Perhaps if they offered salaries a bit higher than £12 an hour for baggage handlers etc. they could gear up quicker. Increase the salary on offer and you are more likely to get people applying and fill those positions.

the airport operator doesn’t employ baggage handlers - the various handling agents do that .

most likely an issue with security staff numbers and capability.

Flying is shit currently. Every single flight sector I have had this year has been between 2-3 hrs late leaving, delayed over an hr getting a landing spot and/or gate or just cancelled under 3 hrs notice - last Monday fro example.

Main issue seems to be airport capacity due to firing all the staff during COVID and the hired folks not wanting to come back to less money, worse terms and back to an employer who fired them during the biggest job uncertainly period since the war.

I will not miss flying when I finally stop doing it. I love travel and being in amazing places but the process has got so awful now.

Airlines have a terrible couple of years but most get through and ramp up again: recruiting and training thousands of staff to get those expensive planes flying again.
Then in the peak season Heathrow halves contracted capacity and tells them to dishonour tickets already sold and sell less in future !
Heathrow 'management' should be fired.

Unrelated except it’s in the tourism sector:

Guy at work was the restaurant manager at Center Parcs, and when Covid hit, they were put on zero hours contracts, and at a low hourly rate. Fair enough, there are very few customers.
He came to us, as his dad works here, and he has settled in well. Loves the job, especially the hours and not having to deal with the public.
A few months ago, Center Parcs contacted him, offered him his old job, but… still on zero hours, still at a low hourly rate.

While the public won’t/can’t pay a reasonable amount for their holidays, the businesses serving them will struggle to offer decent pay, simple as that. Many still think they should be able to travel to Prague for £30 return. Ok, maybe, but you might not get home again, up to you.

We should all be flying less anyway.......................... no loss as far as the environment is concerned

Regards

Richard

Tens of millions of people want/need to fly. Apart from business, tourism is a huge part of some economies: ask Sri Lanka. It provides about 100 million jobs globally.
edit tourism is estimated at 10% of global GDP or $9 trillion.

Tens of millions of people want/need to fly. Apart from business, tourism is a huge part of some economies: ask Sri Lanka. It provides about 100 million jobs globally.
edit tourism is estimated at 10% of global GDP or $9 trillion.

I agree with you regarding the impact. Flying is indeed big business and employs large number of people both directly and indirectly but like private car transportation it is essentially based on a (false) premise of "cheap" fuel - as we are now becoming increasingly aware there are "costs" to pay beyond just the fuel.

The world needs to change the way it does things as painful as it may be - do we need to see the whole world on fire and suffering major drought before we agree that something needs to be done?

Regards

Richard

And people should not have more than 2 children either. Good luck with that one...
Holy Smeg! I’ve got four turntables, three amps, six Tonearm, five phono stages a dozen cartridges , loads of cables and other bits and bobs.

We already know 83% of air traffic is "non-business"!!!!!!

Regards

Richard
"Business" is often unnecessary these days.
Recently a minister and the French ambassador flew from Malaysia to Guiana to watch a comms satellite launch, 1st class I suppose.
Is it needed?

Tens of millions of people want/need to fly

No, they would like to fly - there is a significant difference

And people should not have more than 2 children either. Good luck with that one...

I can't claim to have not contributed on that front, but there are ways of achieving a reduction. Like all the other things that "just are" they are not cast in stone and very substantial behavioural change is required. Your statement "good luck with that one" demonstrates where the challenges lie!!!!!

Is it needed?

Most probably not.

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back