advertisement

The 2022 Formula One Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
EC5-F8-B53-8111-4246-95-BA-E38905823-FF8.png

Phew.

Too right. That was heart in the mouth stuff seeing it happen. All credit to the designers. A life saved there.

Shame most people here just want to go on about politics and hate.

Mick Schumacher did really well.
I'm relatively ambivalent about Verstappen but it really looked like Mick was almost run off the track several times in those last few laps...he did well to stay in there IMHO.

That crash was terrifying. A real win for the halo thingy.

Good fun race all in all. Great to see Merc kind of back in the mix and some really good racing at the front end of the pack.

Channel 4 also ignored Stewart, don't know if Brundle did. Suspect if Stewart digs unnecessarily at Hamilton much more he will get formally called out for what some of us suspect he is.

Yeabutt everyone knows there are no racists in Scotland cos Decameron sez, so it must be some other aspect of Lewis’s personality or physicality that Sir Jackie takes offence at or maybe he just resents other Knights of the Realm?

Channel 4 also ignored Stewart, don't know if Brundle did. Suspect if Stewart digs unnecessarily at Hamilton much more he will get formally called out for what some of us suspect he is.

It’s already been done but was fairly quiet on the UK press front. There are a lot of racist sympathisers in the industry and this thread but his time will definitely come for maximum exposure.

https://thegrandprixclub.com/black-racing-driver-calls-jackie-stewart-racist/amp/

From ESPN on Twitter

Look closely

He is so, so lucky there was no fire. A full tank of petrol in there and we have seen some fires in recent years.

There are a lot of safety lessons to be learned from this one. Every track now needs assessment for anywhere a flying car could get wedged like this and those spaces removed. F1 really got a break here, they should IMO now act as if that car ignited and the clearly trapped driver burned to death. I suspect that was a very likely outcome.

Thanks for posting this view of the crash. I initially thought that the roll hoop or tyres had caught in the transition between the access road and the gravel and caused it to flip over and up in the air, but it started further back in the gravel, with some of the on the ground motion converted into upward motion which resulted in the car clearing the barriers (front right wheel did hit the tyre barrier but did not stop the car clearing the barrier and hitting the chain link fence).

As mentioned upthread, if the car had caught on fire with a ruptured fuel tank / fuel lines, then it would have been more serious and very difficult to get ZHO out due to the proximity of the Armco behind the tyres and the chain link fence.

On the plus side the driver survival cell worked extremely well so the general direction taken for safety in F1 cars continues to work very well.

I do not remember seeing an accident like this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back