advertisement

IKEA announce a new turntable (!)

.. it would be really nice to see the Ikea democratic design principles of 'affordable, accessible, sustainable solutions for all', applied to a turntable.

You mean like Rega have been doing for decades?

Put an IKEA badge on a P1 and it would be perfectly at home in the IKEA product range. Rega have used clever cost cutting and engineering solutions to make a musically satisfying, stylish and fun turntable at a reasonable price. They don't make little plastic boxes like this because they sound awful.

IKEA aren't trying to further the cause of vinyl here. They're just cashing in on it. I don't see anything to applaud.

I suspect it'll be made to a price point to appeal to that section of the population that thinks it's now trendy to have a turntable.
Half of them will probably never be used for anything else other than just being an ornament. I see plenty of TTs now in adverts and
TV programmes. It's the thing to have for the in-crowd!

Andy

My post was maybe intended rhetorically:) I realise that yes they are bought by idiots purely because it's trendy. This is the worst reason for the purchase of anything!

I think some peeps are getting their knickers in a right royal twist for the sake of it :D

I'm cutting IKEA some slack because:

A. It might actually sound fine - and at the right price point be quite popular with those 'new-to-vinyl' to dip their toes

B. The first four record players I had (including a Garrard) were unquestionably cheap shite but gave me the (fatal) upgraditis I still suffer from.

C. I think it looks fabulous and am quietly confident that Dieter Rams would thoroughly approve.

D. I am a big fan of minimalist 'Bahaus' inspired gems such as this one - particularly if they aren't over-priced pretentious 'look at me' stuff.

According to Wired, IKEA plans on calling this "Obegränsad" which the article suggests means "Unlimited" in Swedish.

The Google translates it as "Unrestricted".

According to Wired, IKEA plans on calling this "Obegränsad" which the article suggests means "Unlimited" in Swedish.

It is said that the naming of IKEA products is up to two middle age ladies at the world headquarters in Älmhult, Sweden (a rather small hamlet), not over payed brand image consultants. Yes, it means unlimited/unrestricted. I would have suggested, maybe, 'spår' (groove)...

D. I am a big fan of minimalist 'Bahaus' inspired gems such as this one - particularly if they aren't over-priced pretentious 'look at me' stuff.

Snap! I keep looking at the Braun Audio speakers and trying convince myself I don’t need any, they do get good reviews in the Gaerman hifi press. A pair of white LE03 speakers on matching stands keep calling and my Braun watch also says buy them.

https://www.braun-audio.com/en-GB/

A doddle for the hipsters then, seeing as they can't even get vinyl right.

It is said that the naming of IKEA products is up to two middle age ladies at the world headquarters in Älmhult, Sweden (a rather small hamlet), not over payed brand image consultants. Yes, it means unlimited/unrestricted. I would have suggested, maybe, 'spår' (groove)...
They must keep the old dears in sensory depravation tanks.

Has anyone actually heard this yet?
No, but that doesn't stop the Pigmeister and his band of merry followers from slagging it off. I hope it sounds great just to piss them off :D I did laugh at the earlier comment of how if it sounded bad it might put young people off the format. The 'format', however, is selling like hot cakes to young people many of whom don't own a turntable or have the cheapest option possible of spinning their vinyl. These people grew up on a diet of accessibility and MP3 level audio, they are not put off by sound quality... unlike us I doubt they even give it a second thought. And yet we are the 'sane' ones?

Many of us didn’t start our lives with an LP12. We listened to music through our parents music systems that included Jo average turntables. But this often ignited our passion. This is the exciting thing about IKEA bringing out a vinyl player. This will stimulate burgeoning audiophiles and helps vinyl to live that bit longer. This is surely the reason to celebrate.

The 'format', however, is selling like hot cakes

Now this is tidy
preview.jpg

Many of us didn’t start our lives with an LP12. We listened to music through our parents music systems that included Jo average turntables. But this often ignited our passion. This is the exciting thing about IKEA bringing out a vinyl player. This will stimulate burgeoning audiophiles and helps vinyl to live that bit longer. This is surely the reason to celebrate.

So true that. My mum bought me a cheap plastic turntable amp and speakers. I wish I could remember the manufacturer. Started me off in a humble way and I found a pair of Russian speakers in a junk shop which I replaced the plastic ones with. They were wooden and heavier, I didn’t know anything but it sounded better. It got nicked when we got kicked out of our squat in the Elephant so I upgraded to a Dansette, it worked, all I needed and I was as happy as I’ve ever been with my hi-fi.

‘Now as I was young and easy under the apple boughs…

My first interest in classical came from my Nan. I remember listening to Prokofiev and being stirred. I think it was on a Matsui.

Snap! I keep looking at the Braun Audio speakers and trying convince myself I don’t need any, they do get good reviews in the Gaerman hifi press. A pair of white LE03 speakers on matching stands keep calling and my Braun watch also says buy them.

That is awesome. The ingenuity of some people amazes me.

Which pink fishy reckons they can do a uk version using the Argos catalogue (rip MFI)?

advertisement

Back