advertisement

IKEA announce a new turntable (!)

The last time I could remember that you could buy something with a turntable in your favorite IKEA store it was 1971. The 'Hifi' line was sold under it's own brand 'Renn', it had the same chunky styling as this device. The turntable was made by BSR (I think), little hope it will be British this time? The line was very short lived, BTW.

I rather fail to see the point of a TT of such poor quality that MP3 from any smart phone will utterly trash it on SQ grounds.... and that the medium is the message! Ooh listen to the authenticity of those pops and crackles, the rumble, and the HF distortion! No I'm not the intended customer base...

The last time I could remember that you could buy something with a turntable in your favorite IKEA store it was 1971. The 'Hifi' line was sold under it's own brand 'Renn', it had the same chunky styling as this device. The turntable was made by BSR (I think), little hope it will be British this time? The line was very short lived, BTW.

Yes, here it is, the "Renn Professional turntable"
QPwvHVs.jpg

More about the development here: https://about.ikea.com/en/behind-sc...er-by-ikea-and-swedish-house-mafia-came-to-be

It’s for people without records. It will be total crap, fail to see the point when you can get a decent budget TT for circa £200. Or, two tanks of petrol.

I really want it to sound quite good.
Imagine if you got Bill Firebaugh to design a sub £125 turntable for Ikea, that would wipe the smiles off some of your faces.

Err.. he already has it just costs a bit more and sounds better than most.

I rather fail to see the point of a TT of such poor quality that MP3 from any smart phone will utterly trash it on SQ grounds.... and that the medium is the message! Ooh listen to the authenticity of those pops and crackles, the rumble, and the HF distortion! No I'm not the intended customer base...
Commenting from a position of utter ignorance of the product

I will wait to see one in the flesh before deciding whether to get one and stick it away unopened.
Past short run, low sale IKEA items now demand high prices.

I suspect that it may sound ok. They have a nice Sonos range of speakers so if it’s on par with those it should be at least listenable. Rather than judge it now let’s just wait and see.

I suspect that it may sound ok.

Why? Has it been designed by an audio engineer who has put performance before appearance? Is it not made almost entirely out of plastic as it appears? Is it not cheaply made, as it appears?

Why would it sound good and why is it of any interest to anyone who values musical reproduction quality? Other than it being another sad piece of evil sounding crap which will only serve to put young vinyl newbies off the format.

I suspect it'll be made to a price point to appeal to that section of the population that thinks it's now trendy to have a turntable.
Half of them will probably never be used for anything else other than just being an ornament. I see plenty of TTs now in adverts and
TV programmes. It's the thing to have for the in-crowd!

Andy

Because this hobby is so imbued with snobbery, myth and magic, it would be really nice to see the Ikea democratic design principles of 'affordable, accessible, sustainable solutions for all', applied to a turntable.

I doesn't look like that has happened though because it looks too conventional. I would have thought simplifying Firebaugh's design ideas would have been a better start point and that big box doesn't seem to make sense. But then they are not stupid so I will wait and see.

As long as it is good enough not to damage their likely very expensive vinyl that’s a win IMO. It makes me cringe that people are playing good vinyl on Crosleys etc, especially given a new LP is typically £20-30 these days. The AT cart is fine, that should do no harm as long as the rest works.

Everyone needs to start somewhere. My first record player was a huge old 1950s mono valve radiogram given to me when my grandparents upgraded to a music centre in the mid-70s. It had one of the cream Garrard autochangers with a flip-over ceramic stylus that likely tracked at about 8g and the VTF was set with a spring. Not the best thing for vinyl but I still have a couple of records from that period that look and play fine.

4082721682_8556a9ceed_c.jpg

So my benchmark is will the Ikea be kinder to vinyl than this? My guess is it will, though I bet it won’t sound as good as that ancient Bush with its valve amp and chunky Celestion speakers!

advertisement

Back