advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

Don’t know if you know Luke Bloom, Chrsisty Moore’s brother, here’s a couple for your dilection.

p.s. I really like M.G. Boulter, best I’ve heard since Sam Carter, thanks for the heads up.

@notaclue - Brilliant, can’t believe that’s the same Steve Winwood that gave us “Higher Love” and “Back In The Highlife Again”.

@maccar - the story telling and honesty of Boulter’s delivery is very good,really enjoyed Clifftown.
just heard 1 track of Jim Malcolm, phrasing is very trad Rabbie Burns, I like it will delve more.

@maccar, don’t know if you heard of Josienne Clark & Ben Walker, they’ve since split up but their 2014 release “nothing can bring back the hours” is essential listen if you are into folk, I think they called it Chamber Folk at the time,
the album is available on YouTube, here’s a couple of track to whet your appetite.

I’ve got a copy of their EP The Birds , I think I bought it when they supported Richard Thompson on tour. I must confess I’ve not kept up to date with them since then.

Thanks for that BJ, i'll look out for a copy in C.D in due course,
i fell off the cart concerning Josienne and Ben too,
i remember when i bought '' nothing can bring back the hour'',
it contained a hand written thank you note for the purchase.

Thanks for that, will check out Will Varley, I tend to post in spurts but picked up some great recco’s and surprises this week.

As I’ve said I’ve not followed or bought anything for a long time,
but I’d like to mention one I particularly like back in the day was Transatlantic Sessions,
I used to have a load of DVD’s from it and watched them vehemently, highly recommended.

Good bit of fusion going on with Mishra, another unknown for me,
i like the dulcimer intro with its oriental feel and the banjo Infuses blue grass,
the bongos give its North African/Middle Eastern feel with trad folk singing,
yeah…it’s very interesting, thanks. :)

Just listening to Kate Rusby on Women's hour (Radio 4). They played a track from her new album. She was in a studio in London and her guests on the track were in a studio in South Africa, when it was recorded. (Ladysmih Black Mambazo) Sadly ,imo, they sounded 3,000 miles apart. I did'n't think that her voice integrated at all with African jive. Later, in the interview, she sang , with her guitar, and sounded so good.

Right, just had a quick listen to Kate and LBM, her voice doesn’t suit the strong Afro vibe,
i think it demands a stronger voice (she’s too delicate),
more dexterity/intonations in its delivery and she sounds recessed in the mix,
I’ll have another go and maybe it’ll grow on me.

advertisement

Back