advertisement

Folk/Acoustic

Just listening to Kate Rusby on Women's hour (Radio 4). They played a track from her new album. She was in a studio in London and her guests on the track were in a studio in South Africa, when it was recorded. (Ladysmih Black Mambazo) Sadly ,imo, they sounded 3,000 miles apart. I did'n't think that her voice integrated at all with African jive. Later, in the interview, she sang , with her guitar, and sounded so good.

I'm inclined to agree, but I will say there some good more stripped back tracks further into the album.
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
Just listening to Kate Rusby on Women's hour (Radio 4). They played a track from her new album. She was in a studio in London and her guests on the track were in a studio in South Africa, when it was recorded. (Ladysmih Black Mambazo) Sadly ,imo, they sounded 3,000 miles apart. I did'n't think that her voice integrated at all with African jive. Later, in the interview, she sang , with her guitar, and sounded so good.
I'm inclined to agree, but there are a few nice more stripped back tracks further into the album

Know of her for as many years but never checked her out, it’s nice.

p.s. I am still listening to Clifftown, I do like it a lot, checked his touring schedule but he’s not crossing the borders,
I’d love it if he does Celtic Connections (January), needn’t be a big venue as his following is not big up here,
I’d love it if he could get a supporting slot to a bigger name, 20 mins set would be great.
On his own Oran Mor would be nice, squeeze a hundred in maybe,
The Brel pub diner, the conservatory squeezes in a bout 50,
few small tables and chairs on back wall, then it’s grab a big cushion,
really intimate concerts and couple of beers with like minded strangers.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for him, I’d maybe pop over the Pennines if he comes to north of England.:cool:

Know of her for as many years but never checked her out, it’s nice.

p.s. I am still listening to Clifftown, I do like it a lot, checked his touring schedule but he’s not crossing the borders,
I’d love it if he does Celtic Connections (January), needn’t be a big venue as his following is not big up here,
I’d love it if he could get a supporting slot to a bigger name, 20 mins set would be great.
On his own Oran Mor would be nice, squeeze a hundred in maybe,
The Brel pub diner, the conservatory squeezes in a bout 50,
few small tables and chairs on back wall, then it’s grab a big cushion,
really intimate concerts and couple of beers with like minded strangers.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for him, I’d maybe pop over the Pennines if he comes to north of England.:cool:

Listening to the album now, It's not one I'll ever get bored of.
They're my kind of venues... we have a very small theatre here, holds about 50... got Gilmore and Roberts and the Paul McKenner band on soon.
I would go to the latter, but my wife's not really a Folk fan and I need someone to go with as I'm blind and as much as she's willing, I don't like to subject her to it too much.
Might be going to see Katherine Priddy in Brighton if I can get a ticket though.

Yes, it’s a very honest album, paints a lovely geographic picture and folk of his town.

That’s a pity your better half is not a fully onboard folkie, maybe she’ll grow into it as she age…lol
i am lucky in that respect as I am on my own, I’ve travelled to various parts of Scotland to catch acts,
when you are alone, I come and go as I please.

Yes, it’s a very honest album, paints a lovely geographic picture and folk of his town.

That’s a pity your better half is not a fully onboard folkie, maybe she’ll grow into it as she age…lol
i am lucky in that respect as I am on my own, I’ve travelled to various parts of Scotland to catch acts,
when you are alone, I come and go as I please.

Scotland is a real hotbed of Folk music... I have a brother who lives in Weems Bay and is always telling me about gigs in Glasgow etc
Have you listened to Boulter's other albums? Don't quite do it for me, but worth a listen.

Scotland is a real hotbed of Folk music... I have a brother who lives in Weems Bay and is always telling me about gigs in Glasgow etc
Have you listened to Boulter's other albums? Don't quite do it for me, but worth a listen.
Aw..your bro is so lucky, Wemyss Bay is lovely, the train station at the pier is a piece of Victorian architecture gem,
the view from the caravan park across the Clyde to Rothesay and Loch Lomond and beyond is beautiful.

No, only listened to your recco, I’ll dig a little deeper into his discography later.

Last edited:
Had a listen to MG’s other albums.

The water or the wave - it’s listenable nothing stood out.
With wolves the lamb will lie - very good, would definitely turn into a fan if I’d heard this first.
Clifftown - said good things about this already, a cracking follow up from the last album.
How to read - load of arty pointless ditty’s, it’s rotten.
Blood moon - love this, it’s simple beauty is a joy to listen to.

Had a listen to MG’s other albums.

The water or the wave - it’s listenable nothing stood out.
With wolves the lamb will lie - very good, would definitely turn into a fan if I’d heard this first.
Clifftown - said good things about this already, a cracking follow up from the last album.
How to read - load of arty pointless ditty’s, it’s rotten.
Blood moon - love this, it’s simple beauty is a joy to listen to.

Haven't listened to Blood Moon, nor the Samantha Waites album, although I do have a couple of her albums... good, but not in the same class as MG.

Valerie Miller is nice, she reminds me of part Lucinda Williams and part Emmy Lou Harris. :cool:

Have since checked out Samantha Waites last night, a bit ponderous at times, see bits of Joni Mitchell in her repertoire.

Threaddift: I’d like to comment your system is to die for, I am huge Accuphase fan and the only brand I aspire too,
i still remember my visit back in Hong Kong (early 90’s I think, memory is vague now),
was exposed to a set up belonging to my bro in-law’s cousin via conversation when we Yum Cha,
she found I was into hifi and treated me to visit her home, in her apartment was a full Accuphase pre and mono,
and the speakers were Avalon Transcendent, I forgot what the TT and C.D. player was,she mentioned her Koetsu cart that I remembered,
i was away with it on the music and those amps and speakers, and seeing all the cables dressed perfectly and speaker cables sitting on pegs stands to lift off the parquet flooring….unreal, mines at home are a tangled mess,
but the cut was deep, Accuphase stands as the only amps I aspire to, I like Airtight too,
heard them in a much lesser system with LS3/5a in a pigeon hut sized apartment.

Valerie Miller is nice, she reminds me of part Lucinda Williams and part Emmy Lou Harris. :cool:

Have since checked out Samantha Waites last night, a bit ponderous at times, see bits of Joni Mitchell in her repertoire.

Threaddift: I’d like to comment your system is to die for, I am huge Accuphase fan and the only brand I aspire too,
i still remember my visit back in Hong Kong (early 90’s I think, memory is vague now),
was exposed to a set up belonging to my bro in-law’s cousin via conversation when we Yum Cha,
she found I was into hifi and treated me to visit her home, in her apartment was a full Accuphase pre and mono,
and the speakers were Avalon Transcendent, I forgot what the TT and C.D. player was,she mentioned her Koetsu cart that I remembered,
i was away with it on the music and those amps and speakers, and seeing all the cables dressed perfectly and speaker cables sitting on pegs stands to lift off the parquet flooring….unreal, mines at home are a tangled mess,
but the cut was deep, Accuphase stands as the only amps I aspire to, I like Airtight too,
heard them in a much lesser system with LS3/5a in a pigeon hut sized apartment.
Thanks for the compliments re set up... must admit, can't ever see myself ever changing from Accuphase, as long as funds allow of course.
my cables are pretty messy too.

Honestly, if you lived nearer, I’d invite myself just to be seduced and ear assaulted by your set up,
I am an ex SHL5 owner Tiger Ebony finish, my top 3 speaker ever,
but lost it all due to financial melt down in 2008, :(
you are a man of taste, health to enjoy it.:cool:

p.s. those Avalon’s, ive never felt like hugging a speaker before,
what sexy speakers but that day it was “look, don’t touch”, :D
by far the most exquisite speakers I ever clapped eyes on,
I think the creator went on to found Ayre.

advertisement

Back