advertisement

Audio equipment with cult status

Naim CD players for their dynamic presentation. I have three of them, all working fine. The earliest is from 1994.

A bit Brittcentric so far...

- Various Mark Levinson's.
- Beveridge speakers.
- Electro Research A-75 (Well, anything American with 'Research' in the name).
- Apogee speakers.
- Marantz 10B.
- B&O tangential trackers.
- Pioneer 1980 receiver.

Naim bolt down era gear:

NAC12
NAC 32
NAP110
NAP120
NAP 160
Not sure if all of these were available in bolt down versions but agree 100% with that list nevertheless.
I also own some recent Naim amps, pre and psu but they don’t get me as excited as my 32.5, CB Hicap, 110 CB and my 160 BD.

I have CB 32.5/HiCap/110 as my second/TV system. One day I’ll get the serviced but they do make a joyful noise, if a little raw compared to the main system.

I have CB 32.5/HiCap/110 as my second/TV system. One day I’ll get the serviced but they do make a joyful noise, if a little raw compared to the main system.
I installed some Neil Jadman’s boards in my 32.5 and an Avondale TPR4 module in my CB Hicap and paired with my 110, it’s now signing without any harness at all while keeping all the PRaT Naim is known for. Treble became very sweet and human voices are jaw dropping. Couldn’t believe the benefit myself but extremely satisfied now.

CULT?
You mean worshipped by a mass of believers?
No idea.
Well that's a lie. i do, but none of it reached planet Rockmeister's definition of good.
I can think of a few bits of kit that were, and still are sighed over by audiophiles worldwide.
15" Tannoys from the 70's.
Yamaha NS1000's
both with good reason
EMT decks and arms
Thorens TD 124's
Pink Triangle decks
Old Leak and Radford valve amps
Quad ESL's
SME arms

Not sure if all of these were available in bolt down versions but agree 100% with that list nevertheless.

I stand corrected on the 110 and bolt down case, it's the only one on the list I don't own. It is often talked about in very favourable terms.

The 120 is a bit of an outlier, it's case styles are unique, until now I didn't know there two versions, the later one with a toroid. It predates chrome bumper era stuff so feel justified in including it in the list of BD equipment. The case is a closer match to 12 and 32 than CB equipment.

Rhaido, as extreme a example of chasing a single audio, priority, obsession I’ve heard.
Only time I liked was on end of FM accoutics amps which cost more than my house.

advertisement

Back