advertisement

External dac for Node 2i?

I see that some of the powersupply solutions for the Node run into £400-500 - the big questions then become: 1) is the Node of sufficient quality to justify spending the same as its cost on new PS ? and 2) if adding in a further say £500-1,000 for a DAC, will this then outperform the Auralic Altairs and Lumins and Innuos' that cost roughly the same amount? In other words, at what pont does the Node reach its limits?

I also note that the secondhand value of the modded Nodes drop off the cliff but i suppose that isn't of concern if the owner intends to use it for a long time
Agreed, I'd worry about the resale value of a modded Node, personally I'd trade for one of the units you mention or similar. IME improvements are incremental rather than game changing adding powers supplies and the like.

I see that some of the powersupply solutions for the Node run into £400-500 - the big questions then become: 1) is the Node of sufficient quality to justify spending the same as its cost on new PS ? and 2) if adding in a further say £500-1,000 for a DAC, will this then outperform the Auralic Altairs and Lumins and Innuos' that cost roughly the same amount? In other words, at what pont does the Node reach its limits?

I also note that the secondhand value of the modded Nodes drop off the cliff but i suppose that isn't of concern if the owner intends to use it for a long time

General consensus is yes it is but I get where you are coming from.

Most of the power supply mods are completely retrofitable. I actually had a Node2i but then bought one with the Fidelity Audio psu on the Bay on one of those promotion days. By the time I sold mine, the upgrade cost me £78. Result!

I have the Node2i with the ‘pro’ Fidelity Audio LPSU into a Hegel HD30 DAC. I added the LPSU last and it made a discernible improvement to the sound quality.

As others have mentioned, BluOS is excellent!

I bought my Node 2 6 years ago and I have been upgrading it and the power supply over the years.

Prior to owning the Node 2 I had a Sonos system and I had that running into a Rega Dac-R, so when I bought my Node 2 I ran it straight into the Rega.

After inheriting a Leema Acoustics Antila IIS Eco from my late uncle I traded it in for a Primare DAC30 and ran the Node 2 into that. That was an improvement over the Rega.

In the first lockdown I kept reading about these guys on Hifi Wigwam who were upgrading the power supply on the Node 2i, so I thought that I would go for it as well. I bought one of the of Polish power interfaces and an Allo Shanti power supply. I was very pleased with the results. Less background noise and better separation of the instruments.

This Christmas I managed to pick an SBooster power supply off Ebay and an Atlas Opal digital interconnect. I plugged them into my main system and again I got another boost in performance. My main system has never sounded so good :)

The performance of the Node 2 (and other variants) is scalable. Yes, you could buy a more expensive streamer in the first place, but I could not afford to do that.

My upgrade steps have not cost me that much and I have received a lot of enjoyment out of them. I do admit that I was lucky to obtain the Primare DAC30 back at the beginning of my upgrade journey though.

I also like the BluOS app and after using it for so long I am quite used to it.

The only niggle I have had with it happened just over 5 years ago. For some reason the app would regularly not see the player when I opened it up. It would work okay if I turned the Node on and off, but that was a bit of a faff and detracted from the experience a lot. I raised it with the Bluesound technical guys and whilst they were helpful they could not offer a solution.

A couple of months later, after a software update, the problem was gone and it has been rock solid since (touch wood!)

A friend came round with this the other day and wow it made a big difference to my 2021 Node
I so want this DAC now

I’d treat it as two separate questions, DAC and pre, which you may find you can answer with one solution. But I’d try DACs first and then swap your Croft in and out.

I own the Node 2i and actually sold my Croft 25 to fund it and own an Audiolab M-DAC to Event Opals. I probably preferred the sound with the Croft but tended not to use it because I favour XLR and remote for volume etc. The sound without wasn’t necessarily worse, but certainly different.

I’ve also tried the Node direct to the Opals, it’s a very passable sound. The M-DAC sounds marginally better than the Node’s DAC, slightly less grainy, better dynamics and detail, perhaps a little less digital. But really, it’s close.

I’d not buy the M-DAC now as a cost effective upgrade if I didn’t own it.

without spending RME money and way beyond don’t expect huge gains. As some have suggested a power supply might yield more noticeable results.

ultimately, differences will be small compared to changing speakers etc, results will often just be different rather than night and day improvements, and given the cost involved you really need to hear for yourself to determine whether you enjoy those changes and whether you think it is money worth spending.

I know it has its detractors but I found the Musical Fidelity M1Dac( later edition) an excellent Dac for the money. It’s standout feature for me was its speed and its articulate bass, made possible by its choke regulation power supply apparently. Some found its top fallible but it wasn’t an issue for me.

I'm a 2i user with fidelity audio interface and Sbooster PSU -excellent value for money imho. I also have the RME DAC although can't compare to any others.
Should you (anyone) be interested in trying an upgrade I actually have a spare fidelity audio interface board and the standard one, either of which I'd be happy to sell..!

I used mine with a Burson Conductor V2+ (DAC/Pre with remote) that is now for sale that would fit your budget and also provide headphone and preamp capability.

It would leave enough left over for the power supply mod and an LPS as well.

Personally I think the Node's greatest strengths are its versatility and ease of use.
I use mine infrequently now but have experienced a significant uplift in sound quality with a Rega Dac R and more recently with a Qutest.
+1 for this
nice warm analog sound with the DAC r, recently changed to the qutest, can get same analog feel but with a bit more resolution

advertisement

Back