advertisement

External dac for Node 2i?

GF670

pfm Member
I’ve found myself using my Bluesound Node 2i a lot recently for streaming Qobuz over wifi, and am curious as to whether the sound quality can be improved by connecting it to an external dac.

I have no experience at all of using dacs and from the limited research I’ve done it all seems a bit daunting in terms of choices etc.

With that in mind, I’m wondering whether an external dac is a worthwhile investment, and if so does anyone have any recommendations as to what would be good?

In terms of amplification I’m using a Croft 25R (zero gain version) and a Radford Revival STA25. In some ways I wonder whether a dac with volume control (and a remote) directly into the Radford might be an option from a convenience perspective?

Under a £Grand the RME is an excellent bit of gear - Volume, EQ, Remote and decent Headphone amp. Bit complicated once you dive in but out of the box the basics work fine. Used about £600, new about £850.

There are 2 versions, due to AKM shortage new ones are ESS chip based, the onboard software (firmware) gets updated too. Help suggestions if you state your budget.

https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html

Cue significant entrenched arguing.

An external DAC can change, and can improve SQ depending on what you perceive as an improvement. Though by all acounts the Node 2i sounds decent on its own. There's no real substitute for trying it for yourself.

Given then general direction of your existing gear and desire for a volume control at least as an option, I'd suggest looking at NOS (non-over sampling) models, starting with a Metrum unit on trial from Elite Audio.

Cue significant entrenched arguing.

An external DAC can change, and can improve SQ depending on what you perceive as an improvement. Though by all acounts the Node 2i sounds decent on its own. There's no real substitute for trying it for yourself.

Given then general direction of your existing gear and desire for a volume control at least as an option, I'd suggest looking at NOS (non-over sampling) models, starting with a Metrum until on trial from Elite Audio.
Agreed, best bet is borrow off a mate or get a couple to try on sale/return. I’ve not had the Radford but have owned the same Croft and a Node 2i, currently have latest NODE. I did prefer using an external DAC with the Node but on its own it is pretty good, I use the new NODE in my office system without an external DAC, prefer it to the DAC in my Cyrus Pre. Nodes seem to be a popular units to upgrade the power supply in.

Personally I think the Node's greatest strengths are its versatility and ease of use.
I use mine infrequently now but have experienced a significant uplift in sound quality with a Rega Dac R and more recently with a Qutest.

TBH I’d probably invest in a linear psu first assuming you don’t already have one. I have a Fidelity Audio one and although I use an external DAC (Weiss), I’m aware that users report significant sonic improvements when used without a DAC.

I love using my Bluesounds and have trialled in a number of different systems.

Node 2i into Meridian 861 digitally and analogue - SQ improved significantly

Node 2i into Naim DacV1 both ways - again Naim improved SQ but Node2i sounded good via analogue also

Node 2i into Chord MScaler then TT2 - can’t test analogue in but sounds awsome.

From my experience I would recommend using a seperste DAC but you’ll likely need to buy one that was +£1k new to provide a meaningful upgrade.

I love using my Bluesounds and have trialled in a number of different systems.

Node 2i into Meridian 861 digitally and analogue - SQ improved significantly

Node 2i into Naim DacV1 both ways - again Naim improved SQ but Node2i sounded good via analogue also

Node 2i into Chord MScaler then TT2 - can’t test analogue in but sounds awsome.

From my experience I would recommend using a seperste DAC but you’ll likely need to buy one that was +£1k new to provide a meaningful upgrade.

Have you trialled linear power supplies?

Found a big improvement with a Chord 2Qute.

Audiolab Q-DAC far less if any improvement (over the Bluesound one).

Wouldn't lose your 25R without trying other options first...

I find that the Node 2i makes a great streamer, mainly because I like the BluOs user interface, but I like the feature set of the RME ADI-2 DAC (Parametric EQ) so I chose to partner my Node 2i with the RME. Try a few DACs, see if you think they offer any benefit to you over the one internal to the Node 2i.

How about if I want to "fully decode" MQA files. It seems like many of the recent Topping and SMSL and other DACS that do full MQA are MQA over USB only. The only one I can think of that does MQA with coax or optical is the Topping D90SE. Does anybody know of others? Around $1000 US or less?

Please no debate about the SQ of MQA, thanks.

Personally I think the Node's greatest strengths are its versatility and ease of use.
I use mine infrequently now but have experienced a significant uplift in sound quality with a Rega Dac R and more recently with a Qutest.
Is the Qutest a major step up, compared to the Rega Dac R?

Is the Qutest a major step up, compared to the Rega Dac R?
I had both for several weeks and the biggest difference I found was the amount of additional detail that the Qutest was able to retrieve.
It also widened the soundstage and tightened up the bass.
Of course it would have been better for my bank balance if the difference had only been marginal.:)

There are many dacs that will outperform the internal dac (based on my experience and preferences). I use the internal dac of my Moon amp, you really need to audition as many as possible to see what works for you, if at all, and within your budget. Bear in mind the the type and quality of digital cable you use to connect will come into play as well, so you need to include that in your costs.
Good hunting!

If you haven’t tried your Bluesound with a good linear power supply, I can honestly tell you that you’re missing a trick.

My DAC is better than all the DAC’s mentioned on this thread (with the possible exception of the TT2) and with a reputation for class leading jitter. It still made a significant performance difference. Power supply first, then DAC imo.

Thanks for the replies lots to think about! The RME looks like a really interesting option and the Qutest could be an option as well.

TBH I’d probably invest in a linear psu first assuming you don’t already have one. I have a Fidelity Audio one and although I use an external DAC (Weiss), I’m aware that users report significant sonic improvements when used without a DAC.

Thanks this sounds like a good option too. I’ve just looked at Fidelity Audio and they seem to have quite a few different options. What would you recommend?

Thanks this sounds like a good option too. I’ve just looked at Fidelity Audio and they seem to have quite a few different options. What would you recommend?

I honestly don’t know because I just have the most basic Fidelity Audio one, conscious that they do get expensive though.

Check PFM old threads as there is loads
of stuff about linear psu’s on here. The one I’d have probably bought had I not acquired a bargain Fidelity Audio one would have been from this Polish company who also usually sell on eBay: https://pd-cf.com/product-category/bluesound-node-2-en/.

If you haven’t tried your Bluesound with a good linear power supply, I can honestly tell you that you’re missing a trick.

My DAC is better than all the DAC’s mentioned on this thread (with the possible exception of the TT2) and with a reputation for class leading jitter. It still made a significant performance difference. Power supply first, then DAC imo.

I see that some of the powersupply solutions for the Node run into £400-500 - the big questions then become: 1) is the Node of sufficient quality to justify spending the same as its cost on new PS ? and 2) if adding in a further say £500-1,000 for a DAC, will this then outperform the Auralic Altairs and Lumins and Innuos' that cost roughly the same amount? In other words, at what pont does the Node reach its limits?

I also note that the secondhand value of the modded Nodes drop off the cliff but i suppose that isn't of concern if the owner intends to use it for a long time

advertisement

Back