advertisement

Gear you can't stand the look of

Would black make it more acceptable?

05_b1c1-1.jpg
If that pair came up locally I’d be buying that, an older Yammy or the big Pioneer Elite pre/power are on the radar.

Golden gear. I am not a fan of burl or rosewood either. Glossy horns. Large Wilsons and Vivid Giyas.

Another nod to chord electronics…. Look like they are made at the Early Learning Centre (no offence to anyone)

I’ll go against the flow and say I like the styling of Chord products, especially the glowing orb of the TT2 volume control. I also like that its 1/10 the size of other DAC/Amps in its class.

The thing I don’t understand is why blue LEDs are so much worse than others. I really like the big red LEDs on things like the BBC Micro, ‘chrome bumper’ Naim etc. I’ll happily have those in a listening room. Green is fine too.

PS FWIW I’m no fan of modern white LEDs either, again I suspect it is a bandwidth thing.

It's because we can't correctly focus the blue light as it's scattered within the eye.

The top unit is a C-1 pre from late 70’s, they fetch £2K plus. Never seen the bottom unit in the flesh. The Pioneer pre/pwr I fancy is the C73/M73.

I was wrong, the amp isn't a 5-channel AV amp, it just has switching for five pairs of stereo speakers. So I suppose it's a proper mate for the C-1.

I was wrong, the amp isn't a 5-channel AV amp, it just has switching for five pairs of stereo speakers. So I suppose it's a proper mate for the C-1.
It’s a UC-1 box to let you control 5 sets of speakers. The matching power amp is the B-1.

Was never a big fan of the looks of a Chord but actually I’m getting used to it now. I also caught a pic of some ATC electronics in black a few years back and I’m sure it had brown or orange knobs on it! Looked very strange as in all black it would gave been fine.

I tend to agree that retro Jap kit looks a bit stuck in the 80's .. not my flavour at all.
Nowt wrong with the 80s

If that pair came up locally I’d be buying that, an older Yammy or the big Pioneer Elite pre/power are on the radar.
The problem with the C-1/B-1 is unobtainium FETs. I'd want a fully operational, unmolested set. But those command steep prices. I've settled for a set of Pioneer C-21/M-22 instead.

I own:

Michell Orbe
McIntosh MC275
McIntosh C49
ESL 2912

I did like the look of some of the gear at the time but aftering getting used to it, I'd rather have something that looked different.
However, there's the issue of sound quality and money...

Reactions: irb
I have a Hugo TT2. The sound wins out. The look of all their products do indeed have the smack of V-Tech toys though. That said, dim the light display, put it on the bottom shelf and I rarely look at it. I’d much rather focus on listening to music.

However, focusing on just the looks with Chord takes it down to a simplistic like/don’t like discussion. What that misses is that the usability of the things is awful and the usability is directly related to that dreadful design.

Using colour to distinguish volume or sample rate is a basic accessibility fail. However, why on earth would you place that on the top of the box when anyone using it would have racks of gear where the front is what gets viewed if anything. Equally, a device which can be switched from DAC mode to pre but is often used in pre mode into a pre to match voltages. Get that wrong and you could damage a pre and yet you’re expected to control it by colour and a tiny LCD display positioned halfway between the top and front so that viewing it at the angle most would expect to view it renders it unreadable. Add in the general failure of most manufacturer to sensibly label inputs and, if nominate, it would surely win some kind of award for appalling design.

By all means make your products distinct but please recognise when you make them far harder to use in consequence. I would love to have a serious word with their designer. Talk about being disconnected from the user experience.

advertisement

Back