advertisement

COUM & Throbbing Gristle on BBC4

I watched it last night. Really nice and reminds me to listen to their music more.

One thing, though, is that I felt it was a bit rushed at only 1 hour. I feel like it could have had an extra 20-30 minutes to see/hear more of their work. Every time they discussed an action or gig, you only got maybe a 10-second view of it, which left me wanting more. TBH, I had the same problem with the Zappa documentary.

Also, I know it was only focused on the COUM/TG years, but it felt strange that they completely elided Gen's time with Lady Jaye in New York and the Pandrogeny project. Considering much of it occurred between the break-up and reunion of TG, a time which they otherwise covered textually in a "where are they now" style (including Genesis's first marriage & children), it felt odd to avoid mentioning that very major transition even if only in passing.

Agreed. Very rushed, but about as good as one could expect given the allocated time. A three part series (COUM/TG/later projects, each one hour) would have made more sense, but would have been a big ask for a mainstream TV channel. It is a fascinating history/legacy.

I'm definitely happier having only 1 hour than having nothing. It was fairly bold for BBC, I think. A 3-part series might have pushed the envelope a bit too much!

Another possibility is that Genesis developing leukemia in the middle of production may have, for all we know, cut things short. Maybe they just didn't cover all of the topics they wanted.

advertisement

Back