advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it correct to say that Covid cases/deaths only reduced (as dramatically as the went up) in Israel because they recently rushed in a large scale Pfizer booster programme ?
And that the UK is not following that booster example due to what ? Shortage of vaccines ?

It appears to be the case, yes. There isn't a shortage of vaccine as far as I know (the exact amount is a commercial secret), it's the logistics of the problem taken together with the flu vaccinations apparently. The schools programme has been hampered by long term cuts to the schools vaccination services.

This is a challenge from the NHS Confederation after the Government had ruled out doing anything at all earlier yesterday - apparently the Cabinet hasn't even discussed it. Hopefully half term will be a bit of a dampener.

They're out this morning rejecting the idea

"In response to the NHS Confederation comments, UK Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng says the government does not "feel that it's the time for Plan B right now".

Kwarteng tells BBC Breakfast that the UK's return to normal life has been "very hard won"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58978351?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=616fc56a17cef931bb3d1e3a&Not the time for Covid 'Plan B' - business secretary&2021-10-20T07:36:05.913Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:53a8dbe0-ea69-4be2-8692-3f8096a81077&pinned_post_asset_id=616fc56a17cef931bb3d1e3a&pinned_post_type=share

In response

The chief executive of the NHS Confederation, Matthew Taylor, has been on Radio 4’s Today programme.

On the reintroduction of social distancing rules, he says: "What we're facing here is a perfect storm. Winter is always very tight for the NHS for a number of reasons, you add in then the number of Covid patients in hospital and that number seems now to be rising.

"Mask wearing in crowded places, avoiding unnecessary indoor gatherings, I think working from home if you can.

"I don't underestimate that these are inconveniences but we have to make a choice if we can see what is almost inevitable down the line."

Taylor says pressures mean hospitals are now “right at the edge”.

"I talk to health leaders every day, and I have literally not spoken to any leader who doesn't say that their service is under intense pressure now. This is the middle of October. Things are only going to get worse," he says.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-58978351?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=616fc14e17cef931bb3d1e31&Health service facing 'perfect storm' with Covid and winter - NHS confederation&2021-10-20T07:27:27.238Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:197d69c6-29aa-4057-9aa8-239cbb551a5a&pinned_post_asset_id=616fc14e17cef931bb3d1e31&pinned_post_type=share

This is classic Johnson: procrastinate, distract, avoid. The problem with Covid is that failure to get ahead of rising infections inevitably ends in more deaths, a swamped health service and public health restrictions anyway.

This is classic Johnson: procrastinate, distract, avoid. The problem with Covid is that failure to get ahead of rising infections inevitably ends in more deaths, a swamped health service and public health restrictions anyway.

Johnson is being dictated to by his backbench 'rebels'. He'll put political expediency above everything else.

Out here they are still controlling the situation by high vaccination rates, strict masking, travel restrictions etc. Schools have started reopening after waiting for most teenagers to get get dosed. The effects of the schools and relaxed travel rules are showing in the hospital numbers. 50% of the UK population https://covidnow.moh.gov.my/

It's all OK, listening to the Saj right now. Don't know what you fellas are worrying about.

Not only is everything going splendidly and according to plan, but we are also finding time to save millions of lives around the world while we have everything under control here.

Press conference just now suggests it's a case of 'here we go again' in a few weeks...

What it suggested to me is that all bets are on boosters -- pharmaceutical interventions. I thought the introduction of a self booking system if you haven't been invited to get your booster after six months and a week was a significant step in the right direction, if it works.

I don't know anything about the science of this, but maybe someone who does can answer this question. 2 jabs wane after 6 months. Can we draw any conclusions at all about how long it will be before 3 jabs wane and a fourth is needed?

it's a case of 'here we go again' in a few weeks...
In January, i.e. after Christmas -- if, and this is a big if, there's a very nasty looking flu epidemic on the horizon. That's my bet as to what will happen. Between now and Christmas we're set for encouragement to be careful and get vaccinated.

It's all OK, listening to the Saj right now. Don't know what you fellas are worrying about.

Not only is everything going splendidly and according to plan, but we are also finding time to save millions of lives around the world while we have everything under control here.
It’ll be “there’s something wrong with our bloody NHS today” when the deaths are peaking. As Boris said, “let the bodies pile high”.

You can bet your bottom dollar that another lockdown is as sure to happen as eggs are eggs when they roll out idiots to tell you one thing then you can be assured that the complete opposite will happen.

Any know where I can buy some diesel MR mainwarring?

The Saj: “people need to take personal responsibility”. The PM has his back,

gOOvOfV.jpg

It's impossible for those that want to be careful, if no-one else is. I still think the British public are getting the government they voted for. As for Javid, saying that the NHS isn't at breaking point? That disgusts me. They are all at breaking point. It would be very convenient to set the NHS up to fail, less outcry when it is dismantled to provide money for their friends.

"Get Covid jab or restrictions more likely, Sajid Javid says"

The BBC headline currently.
Hmm... anyone who hasn't had it yet is unlikely to be swayed by that I'd say...more likely the reverse...

"Get Covid jab or restrictions more likely, Sajid Javid says"

The BBC headline currently.
Hmm... anyone who hasn't had it yet is unlikely to be swayed by that I'd say...more likely the reverse...

Are they going to start slinging mud at the anti-vaxxers now? Running out of targets, admittedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back