advertisement

I'm hoping I don't regret this...

Don't worry, I'll be back on the prog-rock and the electronica later :D Although you could do worse than have a listen to this artist on Youtube, his cover of Highwayman Song is beautiful. He did a song for the Sons of Anarchy TV series, "Come Join The Murder" that stirs the emotions too.
Have you listened to the new James Blake album? His best IMO. Beautifully layered, not just the lyrics.

I didn't know Anthem was produced by the Paradigm speaker company....

Neither did I! They're doing a cracking job, I know that much. 10/10 would buy again :D It's a shame I'm about at max spend now for this system, otherwise I'd hunt down another Anthem amp for my subs.

The worst thing I can say about the amp is it's too damn big and heavy.

I like the Anthem amps quite a bit, probably off the general radar due to Anthem being more typically associated with A/V, not so much typical 2-channel stuff for whatever reason. I used to own the same amp along with the smaller PV series 3-channel that I used along with an Anthem AVM-30 pre-processor in my A/V rig. It was a darn nice sounding setup for mutli-channel or straight up stereo. Their gear is typically pretty bullet-proof/reliable, and when things do go wrong, they are very good to deal with in my opinion. Enjoy!

I like the Anthem amps quite a bit, probably off the general radar due to Anthem being more typically associated with A/V, not so much typical 2-channel stuff for whatever reason. I used to own the same amp along with the smaller PV series 3-channel that I used along with an Anthem AVM-30 pre-processor in my A/V rig. It was a darn nice sounding setup for mutli-channel or straight up stereo. Their gear is typically pretty bullet-proof/reliable, and when things do go wrong, they are very good to deal with in my opinion. Enjoy!

I'm using an Arcam FMJ SR250 as pre-amp, connecting to 2 amps via the pre-outs. The Anthem is on the main frequencies - 80hz upwards, and doing a sterling job. suddenly I'm getting a much cleaner sound, and hearing new things in familiar tracks. I think I can live with this! Just got to re-adjust the sub levels now to match the new amp, and all is sorted.

The Anthem is still impressing me.

What can I say? In terms of "bang per buck" if you get a chance to listen to an Anthem MCA Gen 2 series amp, I would suggest taking that chance. Most expensive audio purchase ever, but £960 for a 3 year old amp that could pass for brand new has given me a heck of an improvement to my main system. It's definitely an amp for those of us sat in the cheap seats, but it doesn't feel or sound like it.

Glad you are still enjoying it.A very good sign. How do you find the cables?

For what they are - an entry level cable - very good indeed. Something I don't mention in the writeup that I did is that I think these are a cable that will maintain a decent resale value if looked after. The speaker cables are better than the RCA's in my opinion, but neither is a slouch.

I will be going back to my Cabletalk Monitor RCA's for pre-amp to main power amp, I need to try a couple more cables for pre to subwoofer power amp amp before I decide on another RCA purchase.

In terms of speaker cable, I have some interesting stuff coming - a set of Acoustic Zen Hologram II's. They weren't cheap, but they're hopefully going to be THE cables I stick with for the Snells. If they're not, I have a buyer for them at my cost. I also have a buyer for my Ortofon SPK 300 cables if they don't end up on subwoofer duties, again at my cost (I'll lose postage on these, but it's a mate).

The problem I have right now is that I have a few other speaker cables to try, although I may well end up buying a set of the EWA starting point cables for the bass frequencies.

Thank you "GruntPuppy"

No worries. It's been a great deal of fun listening to my system with these cables in - with the possible exception of the first few days with the RCA settling down (M.E. has left me vulnerable to audio-induced headaches) and I've enjoyed the experience.

Do yourself a favour... Put a different name on the Starting Point speaker cable, and hike the price. Significantly. LS-15?

No worries. It's been a great deal of fun listening to my system with these cables in - with the possible exception of the first few days with the RCA settling down (M.E. has left me vulnerable to audio-induced headaches) and I've enjoyed the experience.

Do yourself a favour... Put a different name on the Starting Point speaker cable, and hike the price. Significantly. LS-15?

No price hike allowed we want to give a fair and value for money no rip off products that more folk can enjoy great music without going bankrupt.

No price hike allowed we want to give a fair and value for money no rip off products that more folk can enjoy great music without going bankrupt.

In that case, I congratulate you on a win. In my system at least, those speaker cables really have punched well above their price-tag. Obviously there could be an element of synergy involved, but the fact that I'm considering using a pair of £90ish cables together with a pair that would cost well over £1k new on a system (two different amps) is indicative of their performance.

advertisement

Back