advertisement

I'm hoping I don't regret this...

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
After sorting out my subs amp, I was struck by the sonic performance of the Artcoustic PA-300. They weren't expensive new, but second hand they're a total bargain, but I was struck by how much better the performance was compared to my beloved Adcom amps.

I found myself looking at amps to replace the Adcom amps with, needing an amp that could (1) push some power out, and (2) be safe with a 2 ohm load. The Snells are 8 ohm nominal, but dip to 2.9ohm at 3.7khz!

As my system is a bit of a hybrid, dealing with both audio and video (with the emphasis firmly on audio), I started looking at A/V amps, and finally settled on an Anthem MCA225. They're still around new at around 2400, I've managed to pick up a 3 year old one in VGC for a little under £1000. It arrives tomorrow :D

It's not a perfect fit for my system - recommended gain to suit the pre-amp is 31db, but it's closer to this than the Adcom amp I'm using (29db vs 25db), and the inputs on the rear of the case are rather far apart for left and right channels. Good to minimise interference/crossover, but a pain in the arse for cabling.

But.. here's hoping. I joined a few Anthem groups to talk to owners about their impressions of this amp, so I think I'm on the right track. This is a pic off the web of the rear, not "my" amp, showing the inputs.

1700130-cefeb820-anthem-mca-225-power-amplifier-amp-only-4-weeks-of-use-gene-rubin-audio.jpg

Anthem in general is one of the best value of sound quality vs price here in Canada so you can’t go wrong.
If your unit has some large toroidal transformers, you won’t be disappointed.

Reactions: RoA
Nothing is ever straightforward for me, it seems. my amp started off in the Midlands, and now, the day after it's supposed to have been delivered (to Cardiff) I see that it has left... Newcastle.

Fedex. I'm hoping that Newcastle is their main sorting hub, I'm also hoping that it doesn't arrive wrecked.

This doesn't feel good.

No point worrying about something that hasn't happened ... it'll hopefully all be OK and you'll enjoy your new acquisition soon.

Good luck on your purchase.Hear good things about these amps.I’m sure it’ll arrive as sent! Be optimistic. And if it’s been through Geordie.and, don’t worry. You’re in good hands.

Status has now updated - apparently it teleported to Pontyclun, it's now on the back of a wagon out for delivery :D

All I have to worry about now is the cables I bought off various people :cool:

Oh my goodness. It arrived.

My first impression was "is this box going to fit in the porch?" The seller (Midland Audio Exchange) had packed the amp into a box that had previously held a self-propelled petrol mower... as well as the obligatory fraggle tape they'd used some nylon packing strips with crimp connectors - just as well, since the tape had been peeled away and the lid flap folded back in one place. Not much to see here, thieving couriers, move along...

There wasn't a spare inch inside that wasn't packed with cardboard. Getting to the amp itself (found the original manual in there along the way, and a decent power cable), it was triple wrapped with VERY high quality bubble wrap. Removing this revealed a power amp that I would have said was brand new. Apart from the nose prints that mysteriously appeared... the hellhound does like to know what's going on. The only thing I had to do pre-racking was change the power preference to "manual" instead of "trigger only."

And a careful wipe with a clean micro-fibre cloth.

So, in it went. connected up to the EWA starting point RCA's from the power amp, and to the starting point speaker cables. On with "Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms" for the most important bit of listening - "what DOESN'T this amplifer do that the last one did?" - and the answer right now is - nothing. More slam, more detail, more separation, I'm hearing things in this recording that didn't come through with the previous amp, and I am happy.

I've got some fun cables to play with after evaluating the EWA cables - incidentally, they're rather good - a better writeup will follow! - but I owe them another few days of burn-in, particularly the RCA's which started rather lean and harsh, and are mellowing nicely. Or maybe I'm getting used to them? Either way, I'll switch back to Cable Talk Monitor RCA's for a comparison before I do my writeup.

Right now I'm just.. relaxing. Not just because the sound I'm getting is so good, but because this amp is so good. It's driving a pair of difficult bastard speakers like they're crossoverless (is that a word? It should be. soddit.) full range drivers, not 4 way crossover speakers with a dip from 8 ohms to under 3 at points.

What I'm REALLY happy about is that I've got some Acoustic Zen Hologram II speaker cables coming. With the variety of interconnects and speaker cables I have now, I should be able to find best synergy for the setup as a whole.

Oh my goodness. It arrived.

My first impression was "is this box going to fit in the porch?" The seller (Midland Audio Exchange) had packed the amp into a box that had previously held a self-propelled petrol mower... as well as the obligatory fraggle tape they'd used some nylon packing strips with crimp connectors - just as well, since the tape had been peeled away and the lid flap folded back in one place. Not much to see here, thieving couriers, move along...

There wasn't a spare inch inside that wasn't packed with cardboard. Getting to the amp itself (found the original manual in there along the way, and a decent power cable), it was triple wrapped with VERY high quality bubble wrap. Removing this revealed a power amp that I would have said was brand new. Apart from the nose prints that mysteriously appeared... the hellhound does like to know what's going on. The only thing I had to do pre-racking was change the power preference to "manual" instead of "trigger only."

And a careful wipe with a clean micro-fibre cloth.

So, in it went. connected up to the EWA starting point RCA's from the power amp, and to the starting point speaker cables. On with "Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms" for the most important bit of listening - "what DOESN'T this amplifer do that the last one did?" - and the answer right now is - nothing. More slam, more detail, more separation, I'm hearing things in this recording that didn't come through with the previous amp, and I am happy.

I've got some fun cables to play with after evaluating the EWA cables - incidentally, they're rather good - a better writeup will follow! - but I owe them another few days of burn-in, particularly the RCA's which started rather lean and harsh, and are mellowing nicely. Or maybe I'm getting used to them? Either way, I'll switch back to Cable Talk Monitor RCA's for a comparison before I do my writeup.

Right now I'm just.. relaxing. Not just because the sound I'm getting is so good, but because this amp is so good. It's driving a pair of difficult bastard speakers like they're crossoverless (is that a word? It should be. soddit.) full range drivers, not 4 way crossover speakers with a dip from 8 ohms to under 3 at points.

What I'm REALLY happy about is that I've got some Acoustic Zen Hologram II speaker cables coming. With the variety of interconnects and speaker cables I have now, I should be able to find best synergy for the setup as a whole.
Nice when things pan out and you can blow a sigh of relief that you’ve made a good choice. Enjoy.

Well…enjoy partner…and I hope you find comfort in them there hills.

Don't worry, I'll be back on the prog-rock and the electronica later :D Although you could do worse than have a listen to this artist on Youtube, his cover of Highwayman Song is beautiful. He did a song for the Sons of Anarchy TV series, "Come Join The Murder" that stirs the emotions too.

advertisement

Back