advertisement

Choosing a new DAC

Oh, it's pretty good on its own. And the Pardo TXPS works perfectly with it, being rather dramatically less expensive than a XPS-DR or 555PS-DR.

Yes the Teddy XPS works very well. I had one of the first production run bitd and it improved over time with the various firmware updates too.

€400 sounds a bit too good to be true! The Naim DAC is great but not before you add a power supply, which really adds to the cost.

Bargain., I'm sure they usually go for more on the s/h market
Not sure if Naim have discontinued these ?

I had a Chord Hugo and V1.
Hugo was impressive but awkward, tiring in the long run, battery change required, never used the HP amp, too much hassle, sold on.
I ended up prefer a Rega DAC.

I'm thinking of buying a new DAC. I'm using a CA DacMagic 100 and though I am happy with it, I am aware that this €150 bargain can be bettered. I bought a Chord Mojo last year but found the DacMagic to be more enjoyable, so moved it on after just a week. I'm hearing good things about Topping, Denafrips Ares II and the RME ADI-2 but have not heard any of them. Any advice? A lot less than a grand would be preferable. System is NAC82, Qudos NAP180 and Allaes.
The newest DAC Magic looks fabulous. And CA is a great company.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/row/en/products/hi-fi/dacmagic/dacmagic-200m

If you want to try R2R, Musician Pegasus is available on Amazon. I have it and like it.

Musician Pegasus R2R DAC Decoder DSD1024 PCM1536 Coaxial Optical USB AES/EBU I2S 32-Step FIR Filter Audio Amplifier(Black) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0891X8...abc_J3TJJ4RSA4WB9VJ3J1RB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
There are dedicated Lps for your DM100 for £95 on eBay currently.
I’ve got the DM100 and the RME DAC. Happily swap between them which says there is a lot going for the former still.

Losing hope for the Naim DAC tbh. The ad has been online for 2 weeks, with 160 views, so I would assume one of those viewers would have snapped it up already. Still no reply from seller though.
I’ve got the DM100 and the RME DAC. Happily swap between them
That's interesting. Are they that close in peformance?

Losing hope for the Naim DAC tbh. The ad has been online for 2 weeks, with 160 views, so I would assume one of those viewers would have snapped it up already. Still no reply from seller though.

That's interesting. Are they that close in peformance?

Tricky. I use both exclusively through headphones so when I’m using the DM100 it’s mated to a Graham Slee Solo/PSU. This combination gives a warmer sound than the RME. I enjoy having both setups and rotate them every 3/4 weeks.

I have a Dacmagic 100 also and there's something about its diminutive size and low cost that makes it constantly stick out in my mind as the thing that needs to be replaced. It's probably irrational, as I'm not convinced the rest of my system is revealing enough to show any improvements from upgrading, but it persists nevertheless. In my case, I would likely look at the NJC Audio Reference DAC for the increase in build & component quality and the focus on long-term support, but he doesn't ship outside of the UK so not much help to the OP. The Naim DAC-V1 and Rega DAC-R are also on my radar.

Sorry, not much help to @Seanf, but I guess all this just to say, I feel where you're coming from (albeit with a much nicer surrounding system than my humble NAP150/NAC122X + DALI Oberons...) and I'm very curious to see where you end up.

I was in a similar predicament and it probably ended up going too far, but after seeing the cheap audio man offer a load of hype to the Ares 2 DAC I got pretty set on an R2R ladder DAC, which then led on to non-oversampling etc and in the end a mighty old (and currently untested) splurge. Prior to that I was interested in the RME ADI-2 and a MiniDSP SHD. I think there are Denafrips vendors on here that might be able to offer a loaner or buy with ability to return if it doesn't meet the hype (@Musicraft is that you?)

2 other options (though one is more than a DAC): the Matrix Mini 3 Pro and the Schiit BiFrost 2 (which I found more engaging than the RME but the RME does come with a lot of extras). There is also the very good Chord Qutest, as was mentioned up thread.

There's an Exposure DAC going pretty cheap on *b*y. There aren't much better at the price.

£784 offer still on at Hifonix. Took a punt myself and it’s just arrived. Too early for any serious listening feedback yet, but sounds impressive so far. It’s the newer ESS Dac version too.

£784 offer still on at Hifonix. Took a punt myself and it’s just arrived. Too early for any serious listening feedback yet, but sounds impressive so far. It’s the newer ESS Dac version too.

The menus take a bit of time to explore ;) but it's well worth the effort.

The menus take a bit of time to explore ;) but it's well worth the effort.

Haha yes that’s an understatement Fortunately owned one (briefly) a year or so back so went through that pain/learning process then. Unfortunately didn’t give it much time at all back then as was on the Chord hype treadmill, but this time I’m going to give it the full 14 days before deciding whether to keep it or not. Probably my imagination, but sounds far fuller-bodied than I last remember. Impressively balanced musically top to bottom too. OK not as impressive visually perhaps as my old Chord TT2, but do love the meters and the sheer amount of options available. The designer is very active on their own forum and seems like a good chap too. Good videos posted on how to use their gear over at YouTube. No pretentious waffle about taps or being the only person in the world who understands digital best etc etc either - refreshing

Bargain., I'm sure they usually go for more on the s/h market
Not sure if Naim have discontinued these ?

I had a Chord Hugo and V1.
Hugo was impressive but awkward, tiring in the long run, battery change required, never used the HP amp, too much hassle, sold on.
I ended up prefer a Rega DAC.

I really like the Rega DAC-R as well. I paid £290 for a pre-loved one on EBay in the UK. Looks like you can get one on the German bay for around 400 Euros. If you don’t want to spend up to the 1k mark, then it is a lot of DAC for the money

I think there are Denafrips vendors on here that might be able to offer a loaner or buy with ability to return if it doesn't meet the hype (@Musicraft is that you?)

Unfortunately due to long lead times for products then for the foreseeable future at least we are not be able to offer our products (regardless of brand) for home loans/dems.

advertisement

Back