advertisement

Choosing a new DAC

Seanf

pfm Member
I'm thinking of buying a new DAC. I'm using a CA DacMagic 100 and though I am happy with it, I am aware that this €150 bargain can be bettered. I bought a Chord Mojo last year but found the DacMagic to be more enjoyable, so moved it on after just a week. I'm hearing good things about Topping, Denafrips Ares II and the RME ADI-2 but have not heard any of them. Any advice? A lot less than a grand would be preferable. System is NAC82, Qudos NAP180 and Allaes.

Ditch the NAP180, not Naim's finest and the 82 deserves much better. An Avondale NCC220 based amp will be a huge jump forward.

Are you actually 'hearing good things about Topping' Or have you read the results of a bench test on a certain website?

Have you maxed out the power supplies on the 82? You'll need to get that delt with.

The Denafrips isn't available on Amazon, I was thinking of second hand anyway.

Naim is also an option of course. Though I am in Germany so would have to scour the market here.

My 180 is Avondaled. It has NCC220 boards inside and sounds magnificent. The 82 is powered by a Teddy Dual Cap, so fully maxed out.

'Hearing good things' is just a general term for 'popping up a lot' I suppose. The only DACs I have actually heard are the DacMagic, Mojo, Dragonfly and a couple of Sharkoon things that I use on my computers.

Imo, the best DAC under the 1K mark is the RME ADI2, but I haven't heard any of the Denafrips., or Holo
Mac

I would consider trying the iFi Signature Zen Dac v2. You can try this with 30 day money back option.

USB only and minimal facilities, but if that works for you then it is one of the best sounding DAC’s under £1K.

iFi’s implementation of Burr Brown chips is not as sparkly clean as many other DACs seem to be, but it’s more analogue sound is why I have settled on it. Preferred it to a Topping D70 and Chord Cutest.

I’ve been through a fair few DACs over the last couple of years. Not had Denafrips though I have had the others you mention plus the Naim DAC in a full Naim system.

Best overall sub £1k for me is the RME, kept it after a head to head with the Qutest. I still use the Dacmagic with SONOS, it's a bargain if you’re not worried about the higher res formats. Preferred the D90 to the SONCOZ, much nicer build and better menu system. Dunno if you’d get a used one in budget where you live but the Matrix Sabre Pro is well worth an audition, great sound and build quality, it’s what I currently use in the office system with Cyrus/ProAc.

I have an RME and Chord 2qute doing different jobs. I agree that the RME takes some beating - perhaps the Chord does the soundstage thing a little better if that's your thing but the EQ adjustment and versatility of the RME is a winning combination.

I have an RME and Chord 2qute doing different jobs. I agree that the RME takes some beating - perhaps the Chord does the soundstage thing a little better if that's your thing but the EQ adjustment and versatility of the RME is a winning combination.
Yeah agreed, to my ears there’s very little in it between Qutest and RME, maybe the Qutest just edges it for air/space but gets left in the dust when it comes to features and hence vfm, in my opinion obvs.

Thomann.de has the RME for €899 (or £774 in UK), for 'B stock' (whatever that means, maybe a battered box) which is actually cheaper than any I have seen second hand!

Tempting...

A Rega DAC R would be affordable and a step up from your actual DAC so I would consider this option.
As for your pre/power supply/amplifier, don’t change anything, that’s a wonderful kit that’s not easy to better unless you put A LOT of money on the table and many people regretted selling it over time. On top of that, they are built to last forever which is getting rare nowadays.

Then again, I've just found a used Naim DAC for €400. That sounds appealing too.

€400 sounds a bit too good to be true! The Naim DAC is great but not before you add a power supply, which really adds to the cost.

I've just messaged the seller. Not far from Berlin so viewing/testing/collection is possible.

advertisement

Back