advertisement

C´mon, someone own up. What´s the secret of good sound at lower volumes ?

You only need to look at Fletcher-Munson (or modern equivalent) curves to see what the issue is. Our ears have dramatically different tonal response to different frequencies at different sound pressure levels. We all know that a hifi music system 'comes alive' at a certain point on the volume control. Many systems also have an upper limit too where the music becomes 'wearing' after a short time. As the sound pressure level is decreased, the ability of the ear/brain to hear lower bass and higher treble frequencies drops - and drops a lot. So we get a completely different picture of the music - its all there but the balance has changed.

Hence the old 70s receiver trick of a 'loudness' control to boost those frequencies at lower volumes. Buy an amp with good tone controls. Quad were not so daft with their older designs...

This response problem is the very root (in my view) of the many differences that we hear between systems and components that hifi nerds agonise over. And shop demonstrators know that a small db change in volume when comparing components can make an apparent difference to the sound quality.

So - it should be possible to set up a system that works well at lower listening levels. 'tis true that larger diameter bass drivers seem to do better at the low volume thing, as has been said by others. Big panels too - Quad 57's sound great at lower volumes.

My hunch (you will not like this) is that, even if you do 'fix' a system to sound OK at lower volumes, is that the distaff side could still find fault - some people just do not like the full-range sound of a system regardless of the actual volume! Headphones are a route forward, but come with other anti-social aspects!

Maximal Sd * BI / mms.

That certainly helps, but a 16ohm driver has a much higher Bl than an 8ohm, but is it any better at low volume?

I have a pair of 8ohm Eminence delta 10a here, and would like to compare to the 16ohm delta 10b, but the frequency response looks worse according to the datasheet.

I'm also sure CMS plays a large part. Tannoys often have quite a high CMS and Bl.

Since i went active with speakers that are not highly regarded i have been totally happy never want to change speakers again. Appart from choosing your own "tone" settings i put it down to the amps driving the cones directly no xover to sap at low levels. So maybe high efficiency is what my amps actually face in active mode.

System setup is obviously a big thing too, I certainly set mine up for the levels I listen at. The main system sounds a bit over-blown cranked-up, which is fine as it never is. I’ve basically built-in a bit of a loudness contour so it sounds huge and effortless at low levels.

It's always felt like it about still moving air at low volumes, so (as above) big sensitive speakers or whacking the bottom end up at low levels.

I remember vexing a hifi dealer with probably the quietest speaker demo session he'd ever had to endure. Had to tell him to stop turning the blummin thing it up as I needed to make sure it worked at the real-world volumes I use. That's half the problem.

A well-integrated subwoofer should help in that "alive" feeling at lower volumes. I recall my early Sansui amps had a loudness knob - that was meant to assist at low volumes by boosting lower frequencies.

Ear-wax removal?

I'll say mains noise.

Also, Blue Alps volume pots are rubbish at low volume levels and they are in tons of stuff.

My biggest speakers sound the best at low volume on vinyl. Really didn't expect that.

I also find low volume doesn't sound as good after your ears have had a couple of hours of louder listening or a noisy day at work.

Thanks everyone for all your views. It would seem we are playing with many possible reasons which are doubtless all correct depending on one´s ears, rooms, etc. etc. As there is no one single solution, is there ever ? When I have time, maybe I will dig out my old Sugden A48II, which had all sorts of tone controls and loud, steep and quiet filters and see if I can diagnose where I´m coming from. Meanwhile I shall muddle forward as best I can.

I have high sensitivIty Zu speakers but they don’t really feel large to me because of their insistence on their speakers occupying no more than a square foot. They take up no more room than my previous Epos ES11s so I certainly wouldn’t assume that high sensitivity equals large or that your choice is somehow restricted.

I have tinnitus but listen at a wide variety of volumes. It’s lovely to drop the volume late at night and know that that any loss of quality is simply not noticeable.

Panel loudspeakers are the way to go, as their wave cancellations help.

Either that or headphones.

Andrew

I don’t know the answer, but my BC1s sound balanced and clear at low listening levels.
A function of these particular speakers ?
I really couldn’t say...

My old Tandberg TR200 bought in the 70s had a loudness button that lifted Bass and Treble and worked well for low level listening.

I never really understood why tone controls on an amp went out of fashion. On a properly designed circuit they had no adverse effect on sound and could be very useful. Higher quality amps had separate tone controls for each channel which could be very useful in accomodating speakers to real world room conditions.

Live music, amplified or not, tends not to be experienced as quiet.

As mentioned EQ compensation can help at lower volumes but this is not a hi-fi topic IMO. But it is a music enjoyment topic and of course completely valid from that PoV.

A good dynamic range and a bit of bass boost. I have found that as my system became more dynamic the music actually sounds effectively louder but at lower measured spl. The instruments also have natural timbre and you get the impression that you are at a live performance.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back