advertisement

What are you listening to right now #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
c3749aaebe625000c3331bacf94601a5a13cd498.jpeg

Can’t Buy A Thrill. Another beautiful night to be sitting outside - only tomorrow left before summer really ends, so I’m making the most of it with a Dan-in-pop-songs-mode night on the Squeezebox Boom accompanied by a bottle of Tavel. Pretzel Logic and Katy Lied to follow. How fantastic is Reelin’ In the Years? Nearly fifty years on and I still remember exactly where I was when I first heard it (in my teenage bed, as FZ would have put it.)

51516456023_1e4e0b1acf.jpg

Yardbird Suite - Herbie Mann. A lot of jazz fans don't like Mann, who apparently 'sold out'. Whereas Miles going funk-hop and dressing like a Mondriaan painting was okay.

I like this album. When Mann just played a straightforward mix of west-coast/bop. He was never the best soloist, but he sometimes pulls something out of the hat and on other albums like 'Flute Fraternity' he's doing flute, tenor and bass clarinet! Not to be sniffed at.

The personnel here are good:
Herbie Mann - flute, tenor saxophone
Phil Woods - alto saxophone
Eddie Costa - piano, vibraphone
Joe Puma - guitar
Wendell Marshall - bass
Bobby Donaldson - drums

Mine is a vinyl reissue from the 70s.But I'm playing a cassette copy.

R-2783537-1300908428.jpeg.jpg

Yep, they have completely passed me by

I love Double Negative but it represents a significant evolution in their sound (arguably started on the previous album Ones and Sixes). So as suggested, do give one of their older releases a try too. They have about 30 years worth of albums so it's a bit daunting. Things We Lost In The Fire, Songs For A Dead Pilot, or C'mon are good starting points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back