advertisement

Loadsa Rega!!

James Morris

pfm Member
Ok. So first post on here. Seemed the right sort of forum, as you get a few people with experience of Rega.
Then of course we have Rega's own on here, who may know one or two things!!

Anyway, I shall start at the beginning, then work my way to my questions!

Initially I just had a P1. That went alongside a Rotel amp and Dali speakers.
But earlier this year I bit the bullet, and went mad.
Saturn R
Elicit R
RX3.
I never even demoed any of them. I just liked the way Rega went about things, so that was enough for me! On top of the fact, it had to be better than what I had!
Didn't get off to the best of starts, as the Saturn R turned up broken! Skip skipping it's way through tracks. Quickly sorted though, as Rega soon sent another unit out. Then to show there was no hard feelings, I came to a deal with the dealer. I would buy a P6 if the dealer and Rega put some goodwill towards it!
All sorted, and I had what was on the whole, a very good setup. I found myself wanting to listen more and more to music.
Only trouble, was I found a few tracks that could make the drivers on the RX3 reverberate annoyingly. Something I will eventually check out with the dealer if it doesn't improve. A bit annoying, but hey, nothing is perfect! Makes it perhaps a little difficult to recommend them though.

Anyway. I then for some reason got into a silly bug, and started searching eBay.
Next thing I know, I've got a P10, an Aria and a Rega DAC (there is method to my madness). Plus, less than 2 months after purchasing it, the P6 is sold!
But hey, the P10 is a thing of absolute beauty.
Now I may only have limited vinyl, but boy does it sound good.

Now moving on. I thought this would be it, but I'm already thinking what could be next in the future. Well it's obvious. The Isis, Osiris/ Aethos and RS10!
Obviously I prefer this to be a little way into the future though.
So whilst I may have an upgrade bug, at least I have it easy. I only have limited options, because it will have to be Rega (although I'm willing to look at ATC or Spendor for the speakers).
So I can't go much further!
Needless to say though, with that amount of money on the line, I will be listening to them first to make sure it really is an upgrade.

Now the questions.
We see the reviews saying the Aethos is fantastic, and the Osiris is good but there is better (and one review that claims both the Osiris and Isis have downsides which are cancelled out by partnering them up).

But because of the price difference we rarely get anyone comparing the Osiris and Aethos. Saying which they think is better and why. Has anyone heard them both?
You would think the price would give you the answer, but with a few years between them, that may not be a given.
Go on Mr Darwin, I won't believe you if you say you haven't heard both!!

Next onto Speakers. As I say, I'd prefer to wait a little while. Enjoy what I have for now. But-
I see the RX series are slowly disappearing from dealer websites, and the fact Rega says certain colours are discontinued, makes me think they are on their way out.
Can Paul comment?
Now the RS10 also seems to be getting harder to find as well. Are these on their way out? Obviously if they are, I may not be able to wait. Certainly not if I want to demo them first, which I certainly do at that price. Although as I say, Spendor or ATC could end up being a better bet, so not the end of the world.

Right, that's the end of that essay! Hands up if I bored you to tears!

Hi James, thanks and erm, wow,

Right, firstly thanks again, yes I have obviously heard the Aethos and Osiris in comparison and I choose to use use an Isis and Osiris at home with Kudos 808's, and have now for several years and not just because I work for Rega, the Aethos is a more than capable amplifier and I would encourage you to get a demonstration against similar products from other manufacturers to ensure you make the correct decision, as and when appropriate.

You are right we have discontinued our loudspeaker range (other than the newly introduced Kytes) as the price of real wood cabinets has become unrealistic and we decided that we could not continue to offer the performance we wanted at the price we would have to charge so the simple decision was to cease manufacture.

Oh, and no bored in any way :D:D

You got it bad!

Haha. No, it's more a case of making your life easy.
The amount of people that stress over what to buy, and whether this or that will work.
Then after buying something decide that it doesn't work and stress over what to get next.

I decided I would narrow everything down to a very small number of manufacturers.
Rega make life easy by the way they do things. You can see an obvious path.
Plus no unnecessary rubbish. A simple box which does it's job.
On top of that, I was more than happy with the Saturn and Elicit.
So bingo, that's electronics sorted.

If that makes sense.

Speakers are a bit more open.

Haha. No, it's more a case of making your life easy.
The amount of people that stress over what to buy, and whether this or that will work.
Then after buying something decide that it doesn't work and stress over what to get next.

I decided I would narrow everything down to a very small number of manufacturers.
Rega make life easy by the way they do things. You can see an obvious path.
Plus no unnecessary rubbish. A simple box which does it's job.
On top of that, I was more than happy with the Saturn and Elicit.
So bingo, that's electronics sorted.

If that makes sense.

Speakers are a bit more open.

well good luck with that!

best wishes

Right, firstly thanks again, yes I have obviously heard the Aethos and Osiris in comparison and I choose to use use an Isis and Osiris at home with Kudos 808's, and have now for several years and not just because I work for Rega, the Aethos is a more than capable amplifier and I would encourage you to get a demonstration against similar products from other manufacturers to ensure you make the correct decision, as and when appropriate.

You are right we have discontinued our loudspeaker range (other than the newly introduced Kytes) as the price of real wood cabinets has become unrealistic and we decided that we could not continue to offer the performance we wanted at the price we would have to charge so the simple decision was to cease manufacture.

I'm glad you aren't bored.
I realised after hitting send that my post was slightly long winded, and probably sounded more like a love sick puppy

Unfortunate that you have stopped making your wooden speakers.
That's a brand new RS10 out the window!
Do you know which dealers still have demo units lying around which they would no doubt have to sell? Assuming you don't have any laying around the factory!!
When did you down tools on the speakers?

As for electronics. It would eventually be a toss up between Elicit, Aethos and Osiris.
If I start bringing other brands into the mix, it will be a never ending saga. Now I've found electronics I like, stick with that. Pretend nothing else exists. Keeps it simple!!
The best of the 3 wins!

I think you’d be well served with the Aethos - several folks here have it and love it; the only complaint I’ve seen is that the volume steps on the remote are too large.

I think it's pretty stupid to worship one company to the point of blindly buying anything they make. Rega are my favorite Hi-Fi company too but no one manufacturer has a monopoly on quality across the board. Typically, they will might be great at some types of product but off the mark on others.

For example I'll happily use a Naim amplifier, we can talk about their CD players but you can keep the speakers. A lot of Rega products are fantastic but there are others I wouldn't give house room to.

Just buying kit blind because you like other products the company has made is lazy and I don't respect it. The term more money than sense seems apt and frankly I don't know why you've even bothering asking for advice. I assume all you want is to have the decisions you've already made confirmed for you so that you at least feel that you have applied reason to the process?

I too love Rega gear, since I spotted some RS3 speakers in a dealers, and fell in love with their diminutive (for floor standers) style. They sounded nice too. I then went through the Rega electronics range, and am presently a happy Aethos owner. It's a great amp, sounding comfortably better than the Elicit-r I had before. I no longer have Rega speakers, though I found them engaging, but not quite gelling with my room acoustics. Probably better that Rega have stopped making speakers, and stick to their tt's, cd players, and amps, which generally receive high praise. Not auditioned their turntables (apart from briefly hearing a P3) but a dealer told me he thought that the P6 was the sweet spot in the range.

Sorry to hear that paul, you (Rega) have made some lovely speakers over the years, still have very fond memories of my MK1 ELAs and EXLs, rather liked the little EL8s and ARAs too (owned them all). For many years I’ve ran Linn speakers in active mode but certainly Rega would’ve been on my radar if I hadn’t been seduced by active Linn speakers. When I first heard the Isis, Osiris and RS10s a few years ago, I was extremely impressed, I heard Tony Bennett, The Very Though Of You through them first, just a gorgeous sound, gave me tingles down the spine, always a good sign.

Genuine shame about Rega discontinuing their speakers. There was always a place for them, even more so now with so few other manufacturers doing what they did.

As for buying everything they currently make? Well, each to their own. I've liked most Rega products I've used, but it's usually a few years old before I get to it. Spent 3 months at the end of last year listening to a Rega Luna in a system I lashed up in the workshop where I work as we were spending so much time in there. It was great & I'd had the amp for some time and never used it. It didn't stay though and after the job was finished I dismantled the system and moved it on.

At new prices , investing that much, I'd have to have listened to it, or as least have been recommended it by someone who knows my systems and / or what I like.

Had my Ela mk 1's for about thirty years now (also have a pair of Kytes in the kitchen/diner), no idea what the current Rega speakers are like, but it's tragic that it makes no performance/economic sense for Rega to continue making speakers.

I think it's pretty stupid to worship one company to the point of blindly buying anything they make. Rega are my favorite Hi-Fi company too but no one manufacturer has a monopoly on quality across the board. Typically, they will might be great at some types of product but off the mark on others.

For example I'll happily use a Naim amplifier, we can talk about their CD players but you can keep the speakers. A lot of Rega products are fantastic but there are others I wouldn't give house room to.

Just buying kit blind because you like other products the company has made is lazy and I don't respect it. The term more money than sense seems apt and frankly I don't know why you've even bothering asking for advice. I assume all you want is to have the decisions you've already made confirmed for you so that you at least feel that you have applied reason to the process?

The only daft thing so far, is not thinking before buying the P6. I should have gone straight to the P10 and Phono.

As for the rest. Perhaps I come across not very well, but I have said I'm happy with the Elicit. So if I want an upgrade in the future, it has to sound appreciably better than this. That will be tested by myself before buying. All I have done is limit my options to make life easy. But everything will be demoed at that amount of money. I have not decided to purchase anything else. My questions were part of a long winded process.

With speakers, I have I believe mentioned other options.

More money than sense? Tell that to those that don't limit themselves, so are never happy, and keep changing without actually upgrading.
If I purchased an Isis, Osiris and RS10 now, that would be me finished. Complete.
Total outlay less than most people on these forums!

So, perhaps not as daft as my first post sounded.

The only daft thing so far, is not thinking before buying the P6. I should have gone straight to the P10 and Phono.

As for the rest. Perhaps I come across not very well, but I have said I'm happy with the Elicit. So if I want an upgrade in the future, it has to sound appreciably better than this. That will be tested by myself before buying. All I have done is limit my options to make life easy. But everything will be demoed at that amount of money. I have not decided to purchase anything else. My questions were part of a long winded process.

With speakers, I have I believe mentioned other options.

More money than sense? Tell that to those that don't limit themselves, so are never happy, and keep changing without actually upgrading.
If I purchased an Isis, Osiris and RS10 now, that would be me finished. Complete.
Total outlay less than most people on these forums!

So, perhaps not as daft as my first post sounded.

I owned an Isis for a couple of years and have home demoed the Osiris, their build quality and the enjoyment of ownership was off-scale with the wooden crate packaging, white gloves and metal remote. They weigh a ton too. Sound wise the Isis is a lively performer and the Osiris has a dark, relaxed sound which I liked but quite different in character from the Aethos IMHO of course.

Last edited:
Hi James, checked with hq and we do have a few cabinets left for RS10's.

Part of me wishes that was it! Then there would be nothing to tempt me!!
Many thanks though. Not going to be back home in Blighty for couple months. But when I am, I will see if I can't arrange something between yourself and the dealer I use (despite the fact they now only advertise the Kyte). Assuming any cabinets are left.

Top man:cool:

So considering my initial post raised a few eyebrows, and an interesting reply from Mr Pig.
Lets explain a bit more. Perhaps I won't look such an idiot in Mr Pig's eyes!! Then again, perhaps it will make me worse.

When I decided to replace my Marantz/ Rotel/ Dali setup, I decided I could be fussy. Fussy in the manufacturer, the looks, and the sound.
That meant, I had to like the way the manufacturer did things. ie no sending designs off to some unknown factory miles away, who's only link to the designer was, well, not much!
I could be fussy in the looks as well. Basically, I didn't want to compromise.
Now initially I was thinking of reducing the number of boxes, and going with a Naim Uniti Star. But a change of heart and a rearrange of the living room, and I didn't need to reduce the box count. Next I needed to take into account I had a turntable (P1) already.
So after plenty of reading etc, I left myself with Rega, Naim, and possibly the ATC electronics. Linn were an outside possibility, but I always got the impression they were extremely expensive for what they were, and from what I recall, they left CD players behind long ago. Leema were also possibilities, but if I recall, it was difficult to find exactly what I wanted.
Rega won in the looks dept, especially their CD players. The usual CD players weren't a patch on the top loading design (although I admit it took me time to get used to the looks, but once I did, nothing else compared).
Then whilst sitting in my hotel room in Cotonou for 2 weeks, having supposedly tested positive for this virus we all hear about, I found myself binging on youtube, including the interesting series of Rega factory tours with the American journalist. Now that was the sort of company I was looking for. So far, Rega were easily the leading contenders.
As far as what else I needed. I wanted a USB connection, a phono stage, and ability to connect to my TV. The Saturn/ Elicit offered everything I needed.
Now I may not have demoed anything, but all reports I read suggested I couldn't really go wrong with this setup. Everything I could see suggested Rega's aftersales was very good as well.

Next speakers. I wanted something that would not try to embellish a recording. I didn't want fake bass. So when certain reviews said the RX3 wasn't exciting, I read that as meaning they were faithful to a recording. On top of these, my shortlist was pretty much Harbeth, ATC and Spendor. Because I didn't want stands, and my rearranging would mean no space to sit speakers on a shelf, I could probably rule out Harbeth.
Out of the 3 left, The RX3 seemed like they were reasonable value for money.
So that is how I chose my initial purchase. Was I mad not to demo? Perhaps, but apart from a couple of tracks which the RX3 seems to disagree with, I am happy that I made the right choice. I was now listening to music all the time. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it works.

Now yes, upon setting it up, the Saturn was clearly not working. I could have thrown my toys out of the pram like some do, claiming Rega were rubbish etc etc. But no. I worked with my dealer, and a replacement unit was soon being arranged by the good folks in Southend. On top of that, with my parents having a large LP collection which hadn't been touched for years, I worked out another plan. I buy a P6 with goodwill thrown in for the dodgy Saturn, and I give my P1 to my parents. Was I mad just to choose a P6 just like that? I don't think so. I knew Rega turntables sounded good, and with an obvious path to the Naiad, it was easy to see where to go. It was a win win all round. I get a better turntable, and for a reduced price. Rega and my dealer make another sale. What was not to like? Well in hindsight, perhaps I should have thought about the P6 a little bit more, and climbed straight to the penultimate rung, but there you go. At the time I was not wanting to go that high, plus I never had an MC phono stage.

Now the foray into eBay. This admittedly was unplanned.
For some reason I started looking at P10s, and the next thing I know, I am buying one, 2nd hand, but lightly used. The P10 itself wasn't a silly purchase, it was the fact I went via the P6. It's the dogs B's in looks, and I knew it had to sound amazing. I mean, it was a stretch to imagine the P10 was at the same level as a P6, and of course, it isn't. If there is one item I wouldn't need to demo, it is a Rega TT. I know they are top draw.
But then of course I needed an MC phono stage. Well by now I knew Rega electronics were very good, and the guy selling his P10 was also selling his phono. I didn't need convincing that it would all work together with my Elicit.
As for the DAC. It was a spur of the moment decision as I had now started thinking of the future, and the Isis does not offer the ability to plug the TV into it. If it doesnt work out, I just sell it on again. For now, it sits waiting until it is needed.

I know now that all the reviews are correct. Rega have CD players and Amps off to a fine art. On top of that, they make just what I want, and I like the looks. I don't need unnecessary stuff. I just need a CD player and an amp, with the ability to play live recordings from USB and the ability to plug my TV into the setup. Rega allow this with the minimum of fuss.
So, considering they made good electronics and they seemed to do things how I liked, it was an easy decision. Just pretend no other electronics exist. You have a very obvious and simple climb up to the peak of Mount Music, with easy ledges to stop off at enroute. If you start bringing other options into the equation, then you are likely to end up spending stupid amounts of money as you try and climb Mount Music, only to find yourself slipping down lower than where you started. How many people do you hear of that are constantly changing because some new purchase hasn't worked? How many people are stressing over what will sound right and what won't? I certainly don't need to. I've made my path to the top very easy. Nothing is perfect, and you will always find a higher mountain to climb. I accept that, but i would rather concentrate on the music, and make the rest nice and easy, and, far from having more money than sense, probably end up spending less money in the process.
Some call it lazy, I call it sensible.
Some see it as hero worshiping Rega, but I see it as buying stuff that works for me.
Some think I am stupid. Well that is upto them.
Have no fear though. Any climbing I do to reach the top will be checked thoroughly beforehand to make sure the climb is sufficient to warrant the price. This is all part of that process.

Now look at me. I have written another essay!

Genuine shame about Rega discontinuing their speakers. .

Yep, derived from the original Royd, their first Ela was identical to Apex if memory serve.
With that in mind its a real pity.

The first Ela, RS7 and later RX3 were my favorites..
I expect they come up with a larger new Kyte, maybe called Ela2, created into double or higher paint bucket.

oh.. and the Aethos walk over Elicit as it should, price considered

Interesting post and situation. I too love Rega but wouldn't have everything Rega ! My P10 and Aura really do shine, but (at present) i use non-Rega ampl/spkrs and they all co-exist rather well. The way Rega and it's people go about their business is a breath of fresh air though and kudos to PD being approachable on here.

advertisement

Back