advertisement

How many Exposure users out there?

Exposure are great amps to own and often available stupidly cheap. Better built internally than even Naim IMHO and arguably superior sonically in many cases. I well remember trying a Naim 72/hi Cap/250 against an Exposure III/IX/Dual IV with a Xerxes, A Naim CDI and a pair of SBLs. Good though the Naims were the Exposure was significantly better in musical and sonic terms. It made the Naim sound rough and slightly distorted in comparison. I owned both sets so had no axe to grind. I was still very suprised just how good the Exposures were. I paid £200 on Ebay (yes Ebay) for the Dual IV and a pair of IIIs (no idea why they had two) and I bought the IX power supply for another £200 from a dealer advert in a hifi mag. What's more, I also remember failing to pull the trigger on an exposure active system with 3 (yes three!) Dual IV regulateds and Isobariks for £999! My silliest mistake ever. These kind of bargains are unlikely to be repeated but Exposure gear is still worth far more than it sells for. I always rated the pre/powers much more highly than the integrateds TBH, but all Farlowe era amps are lovely. Never heard the later stuff.

. I always rated the pre/powers much more highly than the integrateds TBH said:
Funny. I find the super 15 to be perhaps the best of all and I have owned or heard them all! Something to be said about 1 box

Exposure3010S2 integrated, 3010S2 CD player, 2010S2 DAC. :)

Hi Jazzy,
could you please describe the sound? I guess you prefer jazz. Can your system play rock, heavy metal? How loud?
A friend of mine gave me an offer. He is selling his Tannoy Kingdom 12. What do you think about this combination? Of course I will try 3010S2 with the Kongdoms but I would like to hear some opinions.

Thanx!

I know most use Tannoy Prestige with tube amplifcation and they do sound wonderful paired this way. However, in my opinion, they REALLY sing with higher current solid state like the Exposure. Despite my Moniker I listen to A LOT of hard rock, classic rock and this combo presents it brilliantly... and loudly. You will not be disappointed. They are a very "quick" speaker for their driver size.

Funny. I find the super 15 to be perhaps the best of all and I have owned or heard them all! Something to be said about 1 box

I remember having a Super XV alongside a 42/snaps/160 and it came off a clear 2nd best through the same source and speakers (CDI and SBLs) that the Dual IV beat the 250. The 160 was replaced by that 250, which was a big step forward. I'd even rate the VII and VIII well ahead of the XV, personally. The biggest improvement for me was going from single IV to Dual IV.

It seems that there may be differences in what we value in sound, because many people seem to think the Naits beat the bigger Naims, yet I don't think they are anywhere close. Both Naim and Exposure have always seemed to follow the rule "bigger = better" to my ears. I wish I'd had the chance to try that active Isobariks system :)

Great if you do prefer a single box though. Big systems can be awkward to house and wires are always a pain.

I know most use Tannoy Prestige with tube amplifcation and they do sound wonderful paired this way. However, in my opinion, they REALLY sing with higher current solid state like the Exposure. Despite my Moniker I listen to A LOT of hard rock, classic rock and this combo presents it brilliantly... and loudly. You will not be disappointed. They are a very "quick" speaker for their driver size.

Thanx Jazzy :)

Definitely a thread up my street, but where to start, i suppos ethe beginning:

So, in time I have owned:

VII dual/single
VI PSU
XI Pre
XII PSU
Super VIII
X Intergrated
Mono VIII
Dual IV Reg & Un-reg
XIII / XXVI
Stereo VIII
Standard IV
XIV Pre
IX PSU both styles
XVI Monos

I have pretty much had every John Farlowe era product come through my hands on behalf of others which include:

V X-Over
X/XV/XX Integrated amps
XVII / XIX / XXI, mono XVIIIs, Super XVIII.
III pre amp
all styles of the IV, be it biscuit tin casewpork or the modern flat fronted. I would liek to add that the DUAL IV un-reg is stunning and at price compared to a IVDR2, is worth worth a listen.

As most will know a lot of this gear has been sent over to Italy to friends and family - there most definitely is a utterly hge Exposure Fan base in northern Italy.

Maybe not quite what you're asking but I'm still using 5m x2 Exposure speaker cable - must be 25yrs old by now. The only issue is its x section is too large for many connectors. Good for longish runs though.

I ran VI, VII and VIII from 1989 to 2009 in an LP12, Monitor Audio R852MD system which was fast and furious with excellent detail. Most enjoyable but in the end they needed a service, which I was too lazy to do. The bass became a little loose. I certainly got my moneys worth.:)

I've sold all my Exposure gear now unfortunately but loved the newer generation models I had. Have owned the Malaysian built 1010 twice, superb for the money. Got a bargain in the 2010S2D (the later version of the 2010S that impressed Art Dudley so much), absolutely loved that amp but always wanted to try the 3010S2D. That was a bit better than the 2010, just had a little bit more of everything that made the 2010S2D so brilliant.

If I ever go back to separates, no question the amp would be Exposure.

Very happy with a 21 and 18 Super. Also have an 8 with 6 PS that through the 18 Supoer sounds as somebody said 'fleshier' but also very enjoyable.

I've owned a 3010S2 pre and monos and the XM3 phono stage, very pleased, excellent vfm and better than Na........

Nearly

I had a VI. VII and super VIII. The super VIII can't power a preamp hence the VI.

All superb. The VIII is still here and drives my surround Kans.

The VI and VII are on a similar level to my Naim 82 but have no RC or proper tape loop. They now live across the road with a mate of mine.

The super VIII is right up there as a top quality amp. Limited power and heatsinking but in the right system the equal or better of anything Naim make.

Relatively new one here with a 3010S2 which I am very impressed with. Currently waiting for a Phono board to be delivered to complete it.

I still have my four XVI Monos and Exposure MCX pre. I've had the power amps for the best part of 20 years now, the pre for 13. I suspect they'll see me out.

advertisement

Back