advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

It really is an ugly bit of kit.
You know what they say -
DQfWj6i.jpg

I think it looks good,.......BUT it's sixteen thousand, British pounds, at a minimum it should look good.

It's more expensive than what most people have spent on their entire system/s.

I'm sure Rega would have this many forum pages if they made an audio streamer for £10k with outboard power supplies or meridian coming out with a 800 series record player for £20k

The one that Naim customers want. Many Naim owners have been clamouring for a Naim record deck since the ARO first came out.
I think they'll run out of the 'limited' run of 500 by the end of summer.
I wonder how good this combo will sound relative to its price tag which is well ..... middling innit? However until its out and can be demoed all bets are off if you like that old fashioned junk looking kit.

Cheers,

DV

Have a look at the system pics thread here. It really isn’t!

It is not expensive for a top-end product in today’s high-end vinyl market when you consider it is four distinct items (turntable, arm, cartridge, phono stage). As stated upthread it is actually a heck of a lot more affordable than I suspected when I first saw the picture. I’d have guessed at £15k for the deck, £5k for the arm and £4k each for the cart and phono stage, and given the LOL/oligarch/drug-lord price of the Statement amps I’d not have been surprised if it wasn’t three times that. One could make a case that this one wasn’t ‘Veblen goods’! It certainly does not look expensive when viewed against Kuzma, SME etc, let alone SAT and all the Michael Fremer regulars.

PS Just in case anyone hasn’t heard of the SAT here’s some pics and pricing on Stereophile!

Thats a silly comment as you haven't heard one in a suitable system.

For me as I've already said above its ugly and I wouldn't get it past the dragon at the drawbridge so no point in even considering it. However my own record player looks svelte in comparison and sounds I would guess a lot better than that Naim offering.

So it's a silly comment because he hasn't heard one yet your comment is sensible because you are guessing how it sounds as you haven't heard one! Genius! Pure genius! :rolleyes:

So it's a silly comment because he hasn't heard one yet your comment is sensible because you are guessing how it sounds as you haven't heard one! Genius! Pure genius! :rolleyes:
No! I didn't say anything about how it sounds. My only comment was that I'd guess that my record player would once we have heard the Naim kit sound a lot better.

My guess is based on what Naim marketing has announced and what I know and have heard over the years. However a guess is just that! Not a prediction!

Have fun,

DV

“Silly comment because you haven't heard one…” - “…my own record player looks svelte in comparison and sounds I would guess a lot better than that Naim offering…”
Again a guess based on experience of hearing well designed record playing kit. Not a prediction!

Don't take life too seriously,

DV

To the kind of person who thinks an Aro sounds better than an Ekos in an lp12 this is likely to represent the most colossal bargain ever.

No! I didn't say anything about how it sounds. My only comment was that I'd guess that my record player would once we have heard the Naim kit sound a lot better.

My guess is based on what Naim marketing has announced and what I know and have heard over the years. However a guess is just that! Not a prediction!

Have fun,

DV

Furious backpedalling alert!

P.S. You have no idea how it sounds from Naim's marketing and what you have heard over the years can't give you any reference here as Naim have never made a turntable. Your comments are a bit odd frankly, and I suspect motivated by being part of the anti-Naim brigade which is a shame as your contributions are usually very interesting, knowledge based and worthwhile.

Many Naim owners have been clamouring for a Naim record deck since the ARO first came out.

I'm sure but, why?

Naim had no mechanical engineering background or production capability. The tonearm they made, while effective, was just about the simplest form of tonearm you could make. They didn't even put slots in the head-shell. In short, there was nothing to suggest that Naim had any advantage over other established turntable manufacturers, in fact the opposite was true.

So there was no logic in wanting them to build a turntable. It was just sheep-like blind allegiance.

I would suggest they did not build one because they knew this. They didn't build a turntable because they knew it would be an also-ran product at best and they wanted to concentrate one things they knew they were good at.

I would suggest they did not build one because they knew this. They didn't build a turntable because they knew it would be an also-ran product at best and they wanted to concentrate one things they knew they were good at.

You have to factor the time-line too. Linn & Naim were a partnership throughout the pre-CD era. Things only becoming fractured in the late-80s and early-90s really, at which point Naim backed CD big time. Now CD is suffering and vinyl is back as the choice audiophile medium, so it makes no sense to leave that market untapped.

The lone designer/visionary thing died with Julian. Since then, like every other company that exists beyond its creator’s lifespan, designers are hired in. If they want to compete in a marketplace they hire the skillset to do so. It is just basic business. I’m prepared to bet my house that Ivor T doesn’t personally code his streamer’s firmware!

PS Given Naim have a surprisingly good record label (they have released quite a bit of excellent fresh new UK jazz over the past few years) it makes sense to sell something to play them on!

It is nothing unusual. Both Mcintosh and Mark Levinson have brought out turntables to match their gear and I think one is made by Clearaudio.

I would prefer the Naim as it looks better to me.

I think it looks good,.......BUT it's sixteen thousand, British pounds, at a minimum it should look good.

I'm sure Rega would have this many forum pages if they made an audio streamer for £10k with outboard power supplies or meridian coming out with a 800 series record player for £20k

I run an SME 20/2. It looks like an oil rig. It sounds lovely. I couldn’t care less about how the thing looks when I’m paying for how it sounds. £16k is a big price but for deck,arm, cartridge, phono stage and p/s it is decent value at this point in the market. I’m an ex-Naim user but I can’t and won’t knock this without listening to it. I’m sure it will be very, very successful.

advertisement

Back