advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

Another outrageously expensive deck. Totally uninspiring and not even direct drive?
A niche product for oil tycoons.

You clearly haven't been reading it for long.

I don't think this t/t project will make a huge profit given the enormous amount of R&D and the cost to Naim of using Clearaudio as a co-manufacturer. It also introduces a much-needed new style to their electronics.

You think Naim sell at or near cost? :)

Their trembling in Salisbury at that news.

I couldn't care less!

I've had no interest in Naim for at least, oh, twenty years.
Naim for me finished soon after the death of Julian Vereker, and this 'assemblage of blingy parts in a void of innovation' turntable is the perfect monument to modern Naim.

I couldn't care less!

I've had no interest in Naim for at least, oh, twenty years.
Naim for me finished soon after the death of Julian Vereker, and this 'assemblage of blingy parts in a void of innovation' turntable is the perfect monument to modern Naim.
So why on earth post on this thread.
Naim hater posts to confirm he hates Naim.
Jeez!

As mentioned upthread, it looks like a saucepan on a hob. To my eyes, it's a design calamity. Goes to show that £16k may buy you a lot, but not necessarily good taste.

I am a Naim user.

Overall I'm a bit surprised at the negativity on PFM towards this product launch.

For every outspoken critic, there are 100 people disappointed that they won’t have an opportunity to hear one.

And we need a juicy adjective to describe someone who gives a negative opinion of something they haven’t seen, touched or heard in the flesh.

I think it would have looked better with a (much) shorter platter, but I'd be willing to bet that Naim will say it's that tall for sonic reasons.

I still think the best looking TTs I've seen were the earlier Oracle Delphis and Premieres.

There’s an awful lot of throwing stones from the cheap seats going on here. Usual when it comes to Linn and Naim threads. I’ve never understood the butthurt really. Maybe its just sheer green Jealousy!

Whether you can afford a Naim Solstice or not, or if the look of the Solstice is an affront to your own existence, enjoy your turntables folks, whatever they are :)

There’s an awful lot of throwing stones from the cheap seats going on here. Usual when it comes to Linn and Naim threads. I’ve never understood the butthurt really. Maybe its just sheer green Jealousy!

Not at all. I genuinely think it's fuggly, genuinely think it's probably mediocre and genuinely feel a bit sad when companies like Naim, who used to be driven by enthusiasts, sell out and build their profits on over-hyped shite!

Personally, I've never seen a Clearaudio turntable I wanted to own and that includes this one. The Naim badge doesn't help as Naim are no longer a brand that represents my values or tastes.

Surely you have something better to do Mr. Pig. For the last few days, you’ve been telling anyone who’ll listen that you don’t like the look of it and despite never having heard it, you already know you don’t like it and that Naim are a bunch of shiysters, presumably because Julian wouldn’t give an autograph to your first born in 1978 or something.

But despite Naim no longer being a brand that represents you values or tastes, here you are. Still!

Don’t worry, someone new will bump into this thread in a minute and you’ll be able to repeat yourself to them too.

I don't understand the significance of this Naim turntable. It is not as though they have a long proven track record of making them and that every one was waiting for the pinnacle of achievement.
So either it's a first attempt, or as I understand it, technically they haven't made it at all; spec'd it to some extend perhaps, but then the expertise has largely come from somewhere else.
If the pfm massive casts its collective mind back to 1984ish, Naim introduced the NAT01 as their first source component. Nearly 40 years later it’s still regarded by many as the best way to listen to fm radio.

I’m totally agnostic on this tt at the moment. It might be poor, it might be incredible, it might be somewhere in between. I would not be surprised if the 500 are already sold so most of us will never get to hear one unless Naim decide to put it i to production. My gut feeling is that the 500 is “testing the water” and we will see a “regular” solstice plus separate, cartridge, arm and phono at some point in the future if it makes economic sense to Naim. Why should they turn down an opportunity to make a profit ?

A hideous Clearaudio monstrosity.

I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

One thing I find interesting is just how fundamentally un-Clearaudio it actually is! Have a look at the Clearaudio site and you’ll not see a single metal platter, felt mat or unipivot arm anywhere. I think folk are being unfair to view this as a Naim badge stuck on a Clearaudio product, it looks remarkably different conceptually to me. Sure, it follows a lot of modern high-mass belt-drive thinking, but it is in no way an off-the-shelf Clearaudio with a slight twist the way say (IIRC) the Musical Fidelity or Marantz turntables were. There is no acrylic anywhere in sight for a start! There are also details to the ply & metal plinth design and construction which are very far away from Clearaudio thinking. To be honest if I hadn’t been told Clearaudio were manufacturing this there is no way I’d have guessed by looking at it. It is its own thing to my eyes.

PS If you’d have told me it was made elsewhere and asked me by whom I’d have said Avid or Kuzma!

advertisement

Back