advertisement

K9? Basik? What IS this?

Bob Edwards

pfm Member
All -

As I was poking around looking for the spikes to my Target TT2, I found an old Linn cartridge. I just don't know which model. It's metal bodied with a yellow plastic stylus mount, which is removable.

I can't remember if the Basik had a removable stylus, nor can I remember owning a Basik. The last K9 (and K18II) I had I remember had gray stylus mountings.

I'll try it on one of my tables to see if it still works, but would be curious if anyone recognizes it right off.

The original K9 had a line down the front of the cartridge body and a yellow stylus with Linn logo. The mounting bracket was metal. The Basik had a yellow stylus with the Linn logo, but a ribbed plastic body.Later K9s lost the line and had grey styluses.

The original K9 had a line down the front of the cartridge body and a yellow stylus with Linn logo. The mounting bracket was metal. The Basik had a yellow stylus with the Linn logo, but a ribbed plastic body.Later K9s lost the line and had grey styluses.

Thanks - that makes it a K9! Albeit one that must be pushing 30 years old!

The earlier K9s definitely had a yellow stylus. I had one back when they were current. Still got a body somewhere, but no stylus.
I have your old dog's carcass, remember, Tony?

(of course, you could have had a litter of them)

I don't think the Basik had a detachable stylus (IIRC Linn glued the stylus to the body); that's what makes me think it's a K9.
I don't know that Linn actually glued Basik styli in, however, I do imagine a lot of Practical Hi-Fi/Hi-Fi Answers reading dealers (and owners) to have done so. The trick is to glue the inside side walls onto the side walls of the metal shield, not attempt to glue plastic to plastic round the top rim of the knob (as there exists an intentional gap here).

I do recall fitting ATN-93 styli as replacements (and gluing some in), and ATN-95E as upgrades, to these though. In fact, I've a last version AT-95E here, that started out as 'yellow' Basik in the early '80s (there were 'black' Basik, aka AT-750, before), progressed to AT-93 (same thing but for the logo), then on to AT-95E pre-2016 twice (i.e. 0.4 x 0.7mil tip) and finally to its current AT-95E (2016) with 0.3 x 0.7mil tip. It's not the oldest cartridge here, however, it is the only one that sounds a lot better now than it did when it was new. :D

I have your old dog's carcass, remember, Tony?

I’ve still got one (and a K5)! I went through a phase in the late 90s-early-00s of buying LP12s and ended up with a fair few. Neither have styli though. Annoyingly my cartridge graveyard doesn’t include any of the models I recall really liking, e.g. Grado F1+, Fidelity Research FR-101, Ortofon M25FL, Stilton modified Nag MP11 Boron etc.

I don't think the Basik had a detachable stylus (IIRC Linn glued the stylus to the body); that's what makes me think it's a K9.
Some of the early ones supposedly didn't have them glued. People rather quickly put Audio-Techica Styli on them so Linn glued them.

Perhaps Linn should have long ago stuck all of their A-T MM styli on with cyanoacrylate,
else we have inhumane things like this happening to unsuspecting K9s of today.
Yes, that is an ATN-70, likely as not with a locating tab hanging out from poor Fido's arse...

226053200.jpg

advertisement

Back