advertisement

This is how dumb I am.....

Euh.......I non intentionally went from the output of a DAC directly into a Quad 405 amp rather than going through a preamp. I jumped out of my chair when I touch the play button on the remote, this little Quad can play loud !
Speakers survived but almost had a heart attack so welcome in the club !
I wouldn't call a 405 "little", it's 100 wpc! Not quite PA levels but a DAC flat out into 100W would be a little bit exciting!

Par for the course, Darren. I frequently listen to 'Silent Night' for a few minutes before realising that I hadn't turned the input pots up on my powers (similar to you on 1 channel). It doesn't improve with age, unlike some things. :). However, can't see the attraction of adding extra speakers, and I have big panels too (ESLs though).
The magneplanar..6 I have sound just a tad bass light Mike. The REL subwoofer also make the system full range which I like. It's only a cheap system..... But I get lots of fun from it.

Easy mistake to make! Just out of interest, did you find that with two REL subs you had to change the settings from when you only had one? How many 'clicks' on gain and crossover did you end up on?
I followed the set up procedure suggested by REL in their YouTube videos. I integrated one. Then switched this one off and did the same with the other. Then, with both running, I cut the volume until they ceased drawing attention to themselves. It's a work in progress and not quite finished. I found it much harder to integrate a pair of subs than one. Especially due to my silly error mentioned in the first post. Both volume controls are at about 8pm (if they were clock faces.) does that make any sense?

Inspired by the all round positive effects of one REL sub in my system I obtained another in order to do a "Robert"
I fitted the second sub on Sunday morning and followed REL's helpful videos on integrating stereo subs.
Could I get both subs integrated? Could I thump. The right hand unit was consistently quieter than the left hand one. Much head scratching and swearing ensued.
This morning I noticed that the stereo image was consistently pulled to the left too. In fact..... The right hand speaker was just not as loud as the left one. My pre amp lacks a balance control. Great! That's my Maggies buggered.
Well brassed off, I glanced at the Yamaha Pro power amp I use..... And noticed that one of the pots on the front was set differently than the other. I had caught it when wiring in the second sub.
Both pots now turned fully up, both subs integrated, Maggies working properly.
Do please laugh at me..... Love (hate) this hobby
I had similarly daft “issue” with my PA system on my last event (outdoor Christmas concert), I had very wonky bass and spent almost an hour checking and changing cables out, changing amps to no avail... I (or someone) had accidentally pressed the phase invert button for the bass on the left channel of my crossover. Amazing how it all snapped together when I found and rectified that.

I followed the set up procedure suggested by REL in their YouTube videos. I integrated one. Then switched this one off and did the same with the other. Then, with both running, I cut the volume until they ceased drawing attention to themselves. It's a work in progress and not quite finished. I found it much harder to integrate a pair of subs than one. Especially due to my silly error mentioned in the first post. Both volume controls are at about 8pm (if they were clock faces.) does that make any sense?

Yes, it does thanks. I'm in pretty much the same place, but have ended up with both dials on about 6 clicks. The guide says thy should be somewhere are 10-12 for one sub, but I guess two subs would require less so that sounds about right.

Several times I must have pressed the "pure direct" button on the remote for my pioneer Blu-ray/cd/SACD/dvda player... Then spent an hour trying to work out why no picture or sound for the Blu-ray I was trying to watch... Unplugging hdmi cables etc. Ffs.

For those who don't know this switches off everything except stereo analogue out, no display, no picture, no lights, no buttons respond.

..you're not alone..believe me..

When my screen 'refuses' to roll up into the ceiling
and I even thought 'this bluray is nearly down to DVD quality, no idea what folks were raving all about'
...and I notice I watched the whole thing on my white pebbledash wall..

Literally chortling to myself about this one!

I watched a Blu-ray once and was really disappointed with the picture and sound (allegedly a remaster of an old film). Then found the Blu-ray still in the case, it was a dual format edition and I'd just watched the dvd.

Literally chortling to myself about this one!

I watched a Blu-ray once and was really disappointed with the picture and sound (allegedly a remaster of an old film). Then found the Blu-ray still in the case, it was a dual format edition and I'd just watched the dvd.

..yeah, for a brief moment I considered painting the word IDIOT to the backwall in 16 :9 format,
so as long as I see that, the screen isn't down..
The moment went..but here you go..

The options for miss-wiring my Naim/Linn tri-amp system are quite numerous. Makes fault finding interesting. One amp started shutting down at random intervals after start up. Much cable swapping to eliminate the interconnects, or NAXO proved where the fault lay and the amp repair could be organised. At least the old 32 had a stereo/mono switch and could listen to a very good mono system while it was at Witch Hat.

Shaving before I go to bed I'm looking in the mirror thinking 'What are you doing you moron? You're supposed to be brushing your teeth!'

Shouldn't think anyone's razor sharp at that time in the evening but at least you didn't fluoridate your stubble !:)

Several times I've thought there was a problem with our Virgin TV service (getting 'this service is unavailable' message when trying to access the iPlayer, for example), only to find that I've disconnected a cable when moving stuff around. It's still not the first thing I check, though, proving that it's possible to live and not learn.

I have just spent 40 minutes trying to hear the difference between a 170 EUR USB-cable and a 700 EUR one. If there was any difference it was probably between my ears... And I couldn't do a blind test because, well, how dumber even would I look if I asked someone to swap USB-cables for me every four minutes???

Not so long ago I put my system on and the sound was way off. I couldn't understand it, I thought I'd blown the tweeters or something. When I found out that the wife had swapped my posh mains cable with an appliance that needed a longer one I was both relieved and furious.

Switched them back and all was well.

Not so long ago I put my system on and the sound was way off. I couldn't understand it, I thought I'd blown the tweeters or something. When I found out that the wife had swapped my posh mains cable with an appliance that needed a longer one I was both relieved and furious.

Boring. Very, very boring. I absolutely cannot be arsed to read you making the same point about mains cables again and again. We've heard you.

Ha ha ha! That really brightened up a dull Wednesday afternoon. I needed a good laugh.

advertisement

Back