advertisement

This is how dumb I am.....

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
Inspired by the all round positive effects of one REL sub in my system I obtained another in order to do a "Robert"
I fitted the second sub on Sunday morning and followed REL's helpful videos on integrating stereo subs.
Could I get both subs integrated? Could I thump. The right hand unit was consistently quieter than the left hand one. Much head scratching and swearing ensued.
This morning I noticed that the stereo image was consistently pulled to the left too. In fact..... The right hand speaker was just not as loud as the left one. My pre amp lacks a balance control. Great! That's my Maggies buggered.
Well brassed off, I glanced at the Yamaha Pro power amp I use..... And noticed that one of the pots on the front was set differently than the other. I had caught it when wiring in the second sub.
Both pots now turned fully up, both subs integrated, Maggies working properly.
Do please laugh at me..... Love (hate) this hobby

All perfectly normal - even predictable.
How often has there been a hunt because there is no sound due to something been switched off or down and unnoticed? Quite a few.
I did a continuity check the other day on an IC that wasn't connected at the other end.

Just part of life's rich and infuriating tapestry :)

Par for the course, Darren. I frequently listen to 'Silent Night' for a few minutes before realising that I hadn't turned the input pots up on my powers (similar to you on 1 channel). It doesn't improve with age, unlike some things. :). However, can't see the attraction of adding extra speakers, and I have big panels too (ESLs though).

Euh.......I non intentionally went from the output of a DAC directly into a Quad 405 amp rather than going through a preamp. I jumped out of my chair when I touch the play button on the remote, this little Quad can play loud !
Speakers survived but almost had a heart attack so welcome in the club !

Very pleased that you resolved the issue with only minor self recriminations.

I hope that it all sounds as good as you anticipated.

Good luck stay safe.

..you're not alone..believe me..

When my screen 'refuses' to roll up into the ceiling
and I even thought 'this bluray is nearly down to DVD quality, no idea what folks were raving all about'
...and I notice I watched the whole thing on my white pebbledash wall..

Euh.......I non intentionally went from the output of a DAC directly into a Quad 405 amp rather than going through a preamp. I jumped out of my chair when I touch the play button on the remote, this little Quad can play loud !
Speakers survived but almost had a heart attack so welcome in the club !

I've done exactly the same thing a couple of times. Once from a DAC when I connected the fixed out instead of the variable out by mistake, and once when testing a used amp I'd just repaired, having forgotten to disable the home theatre bypass option in the menu of the input I was using.

I will see you issues and raise you this

Dennon CDp was working great , Then one day I popped in a CD and the draw struggled to close , When it did close it would not play , Huuum strange , Trouble ejecting the CD tray and did eventually get it open
Remove the CDs , Err opps it already had a CD in the tray , DOH!

Inspired by the all round positive effects of one REL sub in my system I obtained another in order to do a "Robert"
I fitted the second sub on Sunday morning and followed REL's helpful videos on integrating stereo subs.
Could I get both subs integrated? Could I thump. The right hand unit was consistently quieter than the left hand one. Much head scratching and swearing ensued.
This morning I noticed that the stereo image was consistently pulled to the left too. In fact..... The right hand speaker was just not as loud as the left one. My pre amp lacks a balance control. Great! That's my Maggies buggered.
Well brassed off, I glanced at the Yamaha Pro power amp I use..... And noticed that one of the pots on the front was set differently than the other. I had caught it when wiring in the second sub.
Both pots now turned fully up, both subs integrated, Maggies working properly.
Do please laugh at me..... Love (hate) this hobby

Easy mistake to make! Just out of interest, did you find that with two REL subs you had to change the settings from when you only had one? How many 'clicks' on gain and crossover did you end up on?

A couple of years I bought a second hand amp,duly wired it all up,put a record on to have a listen and it sounded OK, but no stereo image? Checked all the interconnects etc, but still mono? I eventually realised after a couple of hours that the record was a mono pressing!!!!!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back