advertisement

How good a cd player do I need?

That's quite a philosophical question. If a person perceives something that, to them, is real, then it is real. For them.
Indeed, this is the very idea which audio subjectivists succumb to. Those wanting to explore the real world do not settle for this.

I’m using a Rega Apollo (latest version) as a transport and I have no desire to change it as it sounds good as a stand-alone Cdp, maybe a little rounded but when used as a transport everything comes more into focus imo.
I was considering buying the Saturn r but the DAC portion of it would be surplus to requirements so I will stick with the Apollo and separate DAC.
It’s well supported by Rega and there’s plenty of mechs available for it going forward. It also looks very good imo.

Im sure a Rotel 965 could do a similar job tbh as did a external cd drive into a pi using nanosound. If there are differences between transports it is on a case by case basis imo and not a general rule. I didn’t actually like the £20 external drive, I thought it sounded awful.
Then I walked in the room later, put the cd on and sat quite happily listening to it totally unaware that it was emanating from that cheap bit of tat. Very enlightening experience.

That's quite a philosophical question. If a person perceives something that, to them, is real, then it is real. For them.

Absolutely, I agree but questioning someone’s ability to hear as well as yourself with what you say in mind is questionable at best and bloody rude at worst and a fabulous way to start a row.

How’s the weather?

I I agree but questioning someone’s ability to hear as well as yourself with what you say in mind is questionable at best and bloody rude at worst..

Is it? But we don't all have the same abilities. That is a fact. For example my eyesight is not brilliant. I mean it's ok but I've met people with much better sight and I need reading glasses for small print.

My eldest son had his hearing tested in his late teens as he complained about annoying sounds from electronic devices no one else could hear. Quack said his hearing was as good as it was possible for human hearing to be. At fifty four I know my hearing ain't what it used to be but I still regularly hear things my wife can't.

And even then, we process things differently. Hearing a sound and registering it as significant are two different things. My wife once picked me up from work and as soon as we drove off I asked what the noise was. She'd been driving on flat tyre long enough to destroy it without noticing. If I'd asked her if there were any strange noises coming from the car she would've said no, the car sounds the same as it always does.

So if someone says that they can't hear something others clearly do, like my wife not hearing her mobile ringing in another room, I reckon it might be reasonable to suggest that maybe it's their hearing and not an absence of actual sonic information.

Cav, uncle pig is correct. Different transports sound different. They ‘flavor’ the result. It’s what you don’t know that will bite u n the arse...
If your rig was capable of it, you’d hear it, it’s there. So, stop insulting ‘the pig’, he’s just correcting your erroneous bullshit. My advise, try the Rotel Tribute CD11. Great as a player or as a transport. I know it’s cheap but you can thank me later. It’s better than any Naim player I’ve owned and I’ve had several plus their crazy ass power supplies. Better than the current crop of Yamahas. Better than any of the bit stream players I’ve owned. I run mine into a Benchmark Dac3 as a line stage or dac, balanced out into solid state Yamaha A-S2000, or rca out into Mystere PA11. Pick your speakers, this thing boogies, times well, digs deep, unravels complexity, and does rich, silky vocals. Very undigital for not much coin. More ‘refinement’ is gonna cost ya a bunch and may not be as fun of a listen. So b4 you spend more, consider Ken Ishiwata’s lasting Tribute. You may be surprised...
You sound as arrogant as the Pig. I hear fine.

Is it? But we don't all have the same abilities. That is a fact. For example my eyesight is not brilliant. I mean it's ok but I've met people with much better sight and I need reading glasses for small print.

My eldest son had his hearing tested in his late teens as he complained about annoying sounds from electronic devices no one else could hear. Quack said his hearing was as good as it was possible for human hearing to be. At fifty four I know my hearing ain't what it used to be but I still regularly hear things my wife can't.

And even then, we process things differently. Hearing a sound and registering it as significant are two different things. My wife once picked me up from work and as soon as we drove off I asked what the noise was. She'd been driving on flat tyre long enough to destroy it without noticing. If I'd asked her if there were any strange noises coming from the car she would've said no, the car sounds the same as it always does.

So if someone says that they can't hear something others clearly do, like my wife not hearing her mobile ringing in another room, I reckon it might be reasonable to suggest that maybe it's their hearing and not an absence of actual sonic information.
You really need to get over yourself.

This is a hasty conclusion. For the time being we have no reason to assume that those who think they hear differences between digital transports actually hear them.

You may hear ‘fine’ (-ucking insecure neurotic), but you sure as hell don’t know how to listen...

Ignorance of discernible phenomena is just that, ignorance. Quit wearing yours with such prideful lust.

If you can’t discern a difference in say ‘the Prat’ generated between two different transports,
which is a fairly easy thing to hear, how is that anybody’s ‘arrogance’ problem?

I’ve six,10 gauge dedicated lines on a separate sub panel for audio, 3 different power conditioners and a half dozen different power cords to supply the juice. After spending time, money, & energy pursuing ‘digital nirvana’ for decades & running music servers since Logitech began as open source and building my own Roon servers. I was trying to give some here a heads up, save them a few bucks, simplify the learning curve, & share what I’ve learned. You don’t spend years accumulating a full stack of Naim gear without learning a bit about the importance of power supplies and transport build quality.

You need to start exercising the muscle between your ears; but go ahead, stick your head in the sand, I’m done pushing string uphill. Jackass...

You sound as arrogant as the Pig. I hear fine.

My advise, try the Rotel Tribute CD11. Great as a player or as a transport. I know it’s cheap but you can thank me later. It’s better than any Naim player I’ve owned and I’ve had several plus their crazy ass power supplies. Better than the current crop of Yamahas. Better than any of the bit stream players I’ve owned. I run mine into a Benchmark Dac3 as a line stage or dac, balanced out into solid state Yamaha A-S2000, or rca out into Mystere PA11. Pick your speakers, this thing boogies, times well, digs deep, unravels complexity, and does rich, silky vocals. Very undigital for not much coin. More ‘refinement’ is gonna cost ya a bunch and may not be as fun of a listen. So b4 you spend more, consider Ken Ishiwata’s lasting Tribute. You may be surprised...
Interesting to hear about the Rotel being used as a transport. I didnt know KI had been involved with Rotel.

This thread is worse than the MQA thread! I honestly didn't think that was possible.

I have gone through many digital phases, including transport/DAC for many years. Transports did sound different at that time. I even owned a belt driven transport and an Audio Note filterless DAC!

The best all-in-one used to be OPPO UDP-205, before they sadly left the business. It now fetches far higher prices, but is still highly competitive at anything other than crazy money. Does every kind of video/audio disc and is an awesome DAC as well. MQA capable with firmware updates.

Wow. I hope that the flavour of this thread improves. For what it is worth, my wife prefers the sound of her google nest mini than my system costing 25 grand. A recent visit to the audiologist confirmed that her hearing is close to perfect and I know that my hearing is not.

advertisement

Back