advertisement

Outsiders look at the US healthcare "system"

There's no doubt that the US has the best healthcare facilities in the world - the problem is that they're available only to a few. It seems to tie in with Ronald Reagan's statement that the worst words in the world to hear are "I'm from the Government and I'm here to help". So US healthcare is necessarily run as a private, profit-generating business, which is usually tied to employment. Such an arrangement seems calculated automatically to produce higher costs (and fewer patients who can afford it).

Do you mean The one that causes blood clots.

What causes blood clots? If you mean vaccines - they aren't a treatment, which is what I referred to, and all the vaccines that have been studied so far, produce blood clots at an infinitesimally low level such that the risk is far lower than the risk associated with catching C19.
No treatment for anything is 101% risk/side-effect-free.

Larry Norman , the chap in my avatar had heart attack and should have retired , because he had to pay for internal defib and sergery he had to go back to performing to pay for it . in later years it was a bit painful at times . we are so fortunate to have the NHS .

People there have ‘mortgages’ for an appendicitis.
Mortgage comes from the French Gage sur la mort.
In the US, indeed.

What causes blood clots? If you mean vaccines - they aren't a treatment, which is what I referred to, and all the vaccines that have been studied so far, produce blood clots at an infinitesimally low level such that the risk is far lower than the risk associated with catching C19.
No treatment for anything is 101% risk/side-effect-free.

indeed , there is a very very low chance of guilliam barre syndrome [ paralysis ] with flu jabs .... NOTHING is risk free , if you take water tablets you will get constipation etc etc

In a few isolated cases he is right, but at a societal level the US spends twice a much as most peer countries and has one of the lowest life expectancies of any developed nation.

Also, in the past 25 years healthcare costs in the US have increased dramatically compared to peer nations. The main reason IMO is that Wall St discovered that people will pay almost anything when their health is in jeopardy. Thus small Dr practices have been bought up by large for profit corporations and private equity companies and the charges for even routine care have rocketed. And because there is no cap on what can be charged, and no need to disclose prices to prospective patients it's nearly impossible to shop around.

The charge for a 10 minute Dr office visit used to be around $100 when I moved to the US. Now it's around $300. I once had a physical with a nurse practitioner (not a doctor) and a flu shot and the charges to my insurance were around $500.

Great about your daughter though.

How common is decent health insurance amongst average workers, say for instance delivery drivers and nursery school teachers perhaps with a couple of kids? Not professionals just regular working folk, can they afford it?

Larry Norman , the chap in my avatar had heart attack and should have retired , because he had to pay for internal defib and sergery he had to go back to performing to pay for it . in later years it was a bit painful at times . we are so fortunate to have the NHS .
o_O I always thought that was a girl...:oops:

The US health system never seems that straightforward to me.
People's occupations play a part in the quality of health provision.
Different employers provide various insurance options.
One example is the attractions of a military career which can give you a good quality lifetime health cover even after leaving the service.

The US health system never seems that straightforward to me.
People's occupations play a part in the quality of health provision.
Different employers provide various insurance options.
One example is the attractions of a military career which can give you a good quality lifetime health cover even after leaving the service.

If they don't fabricate a war to get you killed in.

This should be about fixing the US health care system instead of comparing it to that of other countries. There needs to be regulation of costs. Make insurance simple and affordable.

As a side note, it is only when you leave the UK that you start to understand that the NHS is not that great.

As a side note, it is only when you leave the UK that you start to understand that the NHS is not that great.
During the course of my work in healthcare, I've been involved with the systems in many different countries, including the USA. Personally, should I be unlucky enough to suffer an acute medical episode, I'd sooner be in the UK than anywhere else thank you very much.

This should be about fixing the US health care system instead of comparing it to that of other countries. There needs to be regulation of costs. Make insurance simple and affordable.

Not sure about that.
My most recent experience was the A&E at St Thomas’s in London, for an infected appendicitis, that required urgent surgery.
Great staff (incredibly nice nurses), top surgeon, zero cost.
But that was before Brexit.
What now for European visitors?

advertisement

Back