advertisement

Quad 99 CDP-2

TonyScarlett

pfm Member
Hi, thinking about looking for one of these, would be interested in owners experiences, particularly around reliability, spares availability etc.
If I did get one it would probably be used 50% as a CDP & 50% as a DAC being fed by my Allo Digione Sig.
Thanks
TS

Hi, thinking about looking for one of these, would be interested in owners experiences, particularly around reliability, spares availability etc.
If I did get one it would probably be used 50% as a CDP & 50% as a DAC being fed by my Allo Digione Sig.
Thanks
TS
I own one...brilliant! Its my second best cd player ( cyrus xt se is the first ) and putting the quad through the cyrus dac x+ it's much closer to the cyrus transport...quad repair all their stuff, and its cheap too..and as a digital pre amp ? Just stonking! Cdp2 straight into my quad 909 is excellent ( using cdp2s volume on remote control ) using my mf v link 2 as the spdif/ usb converter. ( streaming qobuz hi res ).then the cdp2 gets even better! It does so many things so well..what's not to like?

Used to have one, used with a 99 (for vinyl) and also straight into a 909 as a digital pre. Very flexible CD player, I just found the quad stuff a bit dull sounding to be honest.

Thanks for the replys. TBH I'm less interested on peoples opinion on SQ which is, after all, entirely subjective & system dependent. I would however welcome opinions from people who have compared the Quad to the Rega Apollo & Rega DAC.
TS

I have had a 99 CDP-2 bought secondhand a few years ago, used with my 99 pre / power. It has been excellent in all respects other than not operating reliably on the quadbus, which may be a fault on the preamp.

I previously had the 99 CDP for many years and really required a new mech but the CDP-2 came up.

I use the CD player quite heavily and reliability has not been an issue. I can`t really comment on the Rega units, sorry.

I used the CDP-2 into a valve pre and Quad 306 for a number of years. I thought it did a great job.

I no longer play CDs so have a Rega DAC. The rest of the system has changed but I’d say i have better sound now. I’m using the SPDIF input of the REGA with a Ciunas USB-SPDIF converter.

I had a cdp-2 and I really liked its flexibility, I used as a cdp, dac, and pre into a 909.
The one I bought had a slightly dodgy drawer; it needed a nudge to get it to shut which is a common issue I believe. I sent it off to Quad to get it sorted (£150 iirc).

You may have seen my CDP2 in the classifieds, I can't really add anything on long term reliablity or spares as I've only had it a month or so. I had planned to use it with an external Pi based streamer but I have not got round to it and decided to keep my Yamaha CD that has built in Spotify etc.
The Quad does sound a bit better with CDs I think but not enough for me to have another CD player, I already have an old Sony S9000ES which is my favourite for CD replay. I have had a Rega Apollo 2000, Apollo-R and Saturn in the past and always gone back to the Sony S9000ES, although that was a few years back so I can't really ad any meaningful comparisons I'm afraid.

I have a CDP2 which was bought new sometime between 2003 & 2007. It has been repaired by Quad for a fault some years ago. I also had a Rega CD/DAC in another system & thought the sound quality was a bit better than the Quad but not much difference really. I have sold the Rega & keep the Quad as a spare but these days use Oppo 105/205s for their flexibility. Previously owned Cyrus kit but preferred the Quad for reliability. Also own some Arcam kit & always reliable.

My CDP-2 has been the one constant in my system for over a decade, maybe 15 years, can't remember. In terms of reliability, the draw malfunctioned once and needed repair which cost about £80 I think. Other than that, the fact it's sat there unchanged for all that time whilst the rest of the chain has changed a great deal says it all.

Yep, quad sounds too soft and lifeless to my ears. As the OP says, SQ is subjective.
What your hearing is something sounding right..long listening is non tiring..try long listening to naim kit? A lot of kit is voiced to sound exciting..silly people buy this stuff on first listen in a hifi shop and soon tire of the sound at home..when the silly people eventually get some sense? They buy quad..why? Because its reliable and sounds perfect..one gets to a point in hifi where you don't want to keep kit swapping etc..and when you get to that point? You buy quad...ponty, your journey is still ongoing mate, want some advice? Good pair of shoes! :p

Hi, thinking about looking for one of these, would be interested in owners experiences, particularly around reliability, spares availability etc. ...
I have had the original CD-P (not the updated CDP-2) since 2004 if it adds a useful data point.

AIUI the updated version has a different CD drive so I cannot comment on the new mechanism. However as for the rest, mine still works perfectly today. I have had no cause to test the quality of the servicing experience.

It did daily service as a digital-only CD-preamp with volume control until early 2018 when I started using an ATC CDA2 Mk2 instead (for its USB input and its two analogue inputs). It still gets occasional use as a CD player mainly to keep its mechanical parts in regular operation as a back-up if I ever have a problem with the ATC.

What your hearing is something sounding right..long listening is non tiring..try long listening to naim kit? A lot of kit is voiced to sound exciting..silly people buy this stuff on first listen in a hifi shop and soon tire of the sound at home..when the silly people eventually get some sense? They buy quad..why? Because its reliable and sounds perfect..one gets to a point in hifi where you don't want to keep kit swapping etc..and when you get to that point? You buy quad...ponty, your journey is still ongoing mate, want some advice? Good pair of shoes! :p

Quad is excellent kit, I’d never say anything else. I’ve had a complete 99 system and 33/303. Just not to my taste. Had Naim for years, now have Yamaha which is spot on to my ears. It’s great that we have such a choice, there’s something for everyone.

Quad is excellent kit, I’d never say anything else. I’ve had a complete 99 system and 33/303. Just not to my taste. Had Naim for years, now have Yamaha which is spot on to my ears. It’s great that we have such a choice, there’s something for everyone.
+1 for Yamaha

I had a cdp-2 and I really liked its flexibility, I used as a cdp, dac, and pre into a 909.
The one I bought had a slightly dodgy drawer; it needed a nudge to get it to shut which is a common issue I believe. I sent it off to Quad to get it sorted (£150 iirc).
Mine does that too..lol

a.k.a. "accurate"
agreed, no dullness that I can hear..gets a bit boring hearing ' pipe and slippers ' quad sound! My mate has a naim power amp and a quad 909 and the quad is so much nicer to listen to..it doesn't ram the music down your throat..in my 909 the dynaudios have plenty of pep..but my AE1 mk3s have a authority which is amazing....dull? My arse! Lol ( sorry for bad word ' naim lol ' )

advertisement

Back