advertisement

Tiger Woods car crash

I know about getting out of the car ASAP if you’ve broken down and been able to get to the hard shoulder - this is about smart motorways. You’re potentially having to get out into live traffic on your right side just getting out of the car. Unless you can crawl across the passenger seat.

Plus Tigers injuries are consistent with standing on the brake pedal, which means he was bracing himself for a front impact, you roll a car you don't tend to break a leg the way he has.

A wee tip for you, if you ARE about to have a head on, pull your feet back, saves your legs. One RTC I attended where a young driver had hit a tree, he luckily had the presence of mind to pull his legs back as far as he could, which was lucky as the engine ended up between his legs, virtually no leg injury, although he did have a cracked pelvis due to having his legs forced so far apart, but other than a sore knee, his legs were fine. If he'd kept braking they would have been pulp.
I remember reading somewhere that that's the difference between a Nascar beginner and a seasoned pro. The pro knows, usually from bitter experience, how to remove his feet from the pedals just before hitting the barrier.

While studying Automotive Design (~15 years ago), in one lecture by an existing designer, we were told always keep the foot skid plate on the floor free and remove the optional carpets as this would potentially harm your feet/legs moving freely away in a crash. And that's why when you but a new car the carpets are in the boot for you to fit.

Having never bought a new car, I don't know if this is true, or how accurate it is.

I guess a similar reason why driving in Flip-Flops is a bad idea, if they slip off under the brake pedal or get caught in the pedals in a crash.

I know about getting out of the car ASAP if you’ve broken down and been able to get to the hard shoulder - this is about smart motorways. You’re potentially having to get out into live traffic on your right side just getting out of the car. Unless you can crawl across the passenger seat.

I think you would assume if you have broken down, you would naturally move as far to the left as you could anyway (if there is a hard shoulder or not) and as advised, exit the car, over the barrier or away from the car at least. I thought that was general knowledge?

Having broken down on a 3-lane A-Road before with a puncture, the first thing I did was get out of the car ASAP and up the embankment (forward of the car) before thinking about ringing anybody.

Edit - getting left and right mixed up...

You've pretty much answered the question yourself!

I'm sceptical that you can pull your feet back off the pedals pre-impact, because it generally unfolds so fast, BUT, what you can do, is to set up your seat-to-pedal distance so that your knee always has a bend in it when the clutch pedal is fully depressed.

That should help to avoid the situation where your knee joint is locked solid during impact, even when you are hard on the brakes/clutch.

^^^^
I beg to differ: In the depths of time when I was hooning around the countryside in my racing Viva, I ended up stuffing it into a stone faced dyke. The A pillar was squeezed to within a few inches of the transmission tunnel. Even more amazingly the windscreen ended up in one piece in the boot. despite having obviously gone over everybodies heads, no-one had even a scratch.

Absurdly named "smart" motorway. They should call it what it is, the "no money for maintaining proper highways" motorway.

The problem is when they did the original Smart Motorway trial on the M42 they installed refuges every 500m and had a high density of gantries as well as automatic obstruction detection. Since then the requirements have been watered down to refuges every 2.5km, far less gantries and unforgivably no automatic obstruction detection. They're not fit for purpose frankly and deaths are rising alarmingly. Of course the **** that is Grant Shapps denies this yet it is fact!

There was a chief constable, I think, on radio 4 last week who was calling for them to be returned to a traditional layout with hard shoulder. It appears that there are plans to add more refuges, but they’ll remain dangerous and underfunded.

Imagine it. This summer holiday, loads of people going on U.K. holidays, not used to driving much for 18 months, cars not used much for 18 months... might be interesting.

Mr Woods was obviously driving at some speed, much talk of it being a dangerous road which is the usual level of ridiculous.

Mr Woods was obviously driving at some speed, much talk of it being a dangerous road which is the usual level of ridiculous.

I think they're being kind to him now he's achieved national treasure status; maybe more so now it's possible his career is over.

advertisement

Back