advertisement

Plastic in kettles...

The thing is it doesn’t matter if a Dualit toaster dies as unlike 99% of modern stuff it is fully serviceable and supported. Here’s the spares page for mine. Anyone capable of using a screwdriver and following basic wiring can replace anything that can break or wear out. This is exactly what I’m banging on about on the Right To Repair thread elsewhere. With these toasters Dualit score 100% IMO. I will happily pay more to own product of this quality/design integrity. I have no intention of ever buying another toaster. If Dualit ever vanish as a business I’d stockpile some spare elements and a timer at that point.

Yes, bought one (of the original, classic series) second-hand from Germany about 10 years ago and still working perfectly. The only thing is it tends to toast more on the side of the bread facing the central double element than on the outer faces. Heating it up beforehand help a bit, but not completely. Also, I rang the spares department once and they said they do not post spares outside the UK! But it is a beautifully made piece of equipment.

I realize you’re kidding but lime scale makes kettles louder, IME. Descaling with sodium bicarbonate fixes it.
I am really not kidding. As Steve mentioned up the thread, lime scale is seen as useful in that it builds up in lead pipes and helps to keep us humans safe from the injurious effects of lead. There is a school of thought that has suggested that exposure to lead was a factor in the decline of the Roman Empire. Will plastic been seen as a leading factor in the destruction and decline of industrialised mankind, I hope not. Anyway, who cares about a few extra db's if it’s keeping you away from the possible impact of ingesting more plastic from your kettle. I will check mine with my db meter later.

As above was my solution. Went to a stainless steel kettle suitable for use on gas, electric and induction stoves. 15€ from my local Auchan
Update - can the induction hob idea. Mine blew up this morning when switched off, so gas it is for me.

Was my oring reference too obscure? Nevermind.

By it's nature, science can't prove anything to be safe, it can only fail to prove something unsafe.

Sometimes the research is funded by the patent holder and they fail to identify a critical hypothesis.

Sometimes the patent holder withholds information from the public. Check out the film Dark Waters for an example of how Dupont did this.

Was my oring reference too obscure? Nevermind.

By it's nature, science can't prove anything to be safe, it can only fail to prove something unsafe.

Sometimes the research is funded by the patent holder and they fail to identify a critical hypothesis.

Sometimes the patent holder withholds information from the public. Check out the film Dark Waters for an example of how Dupont did this.
I thought it was obvious. Clearly a challenge to some. A reference to one of the most infamous technological failures with tragic consequences.

I’ve had my Dualit toaster for nearly 20 years. Replaced the elements about 3 years ago. The new ones are better. The secret using a Dualit is to make sure you preheat it for 2/3 minutes first. This ensures perfect toast. It’s like a Naim amp. Must be warmed before use :)
I’me on my third Dualit kettle like yours Tony. Two separate problems. However, Dualit could not have been better in sorting me out. Even replacing one free and asking if I could return it FOC to investigate the fault for future kettles.

Just the same as laws don't stop people committing crime. However nobody suggests that a legal framework is a waste of time. It's administered by human beings, therefore it's always going to be imperfect.

Just the same as laws don't stop people committing crime. However nobody suggests that a legal framework is a waste of time. It's administered by human beings, therefore it's always going to be imperfect.
Some people think that materials, chemicals, processes etc. are safe if they confirm to regulations.

Long term effects aren't identified without longitudinal studies, which obviously require substantial funding and potentially take decades.

Teflon pans are said to be safe if used as directed, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who's overheated one and inhaled the resulting fumes. I'd rather not do that again.

Some people think that materials, chemicals, processes etc. are safe if they confirm to regulations.

Long term effects aren't identified without longitudinal studies, which obviously require substantial funding and potentially take decades.

Teflon pans are said to be safe if used as directed, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who's overheated one and inhaled the resulting fumes. I'd rather not do that again.
Safety is influenced by human behaviour. A knife is safe, used properly. It doesn't stop people cutting themselves. It doesn't mean that knives are a bad idea.
Safety depends on reasonable usage. It is impossible to manufacture a product that cannot be abused, just like your pan, a car or an O ring

You're right, but the design and materials affect the consequences of abuse. A cast iron pan can be reseasoned. You're more likely to survive a crash if you're driving a car with a 5 star crash rating than a series 2 land rover. You make your choices.

If you have a plastic kettle you're going to be ingesting bits of it even using it as designed. Given the choice, I'd rather not.

You're right, but the design and materials affect the consequences of abuse. A cast iron pan can be reseasoned. You're more likely to survive a crash if you're driving a car with a 5 star crash rating than a series 2 land rover. You make your choices.

If you have a plastic kettle you're going to be ingesting bits of it even using it as designed. Given the choice, I'd rather not.
Interesting on the cars, it's the use of extensive testing to determine the best (probable) performance in any number of wholly unpredictable operator misuse situations and over the years it has greatly improved safety. I too would choose a 5 star rating, who wouldn't? That's testing used to improve our odds when it all goes wrong. I then choose to get on a bike on the same streets and expose myself to orders of magnitude more risk. I know about those risks at first hand.
As for the pans, I have a cast iron pan too. Every time I use it I generate a nice mixture of nitrosamines and acrylamide from carbonising fat and protein and leave them stuck to the pan for later. A mixture of unknown proportions and concentrations of known toxins and carcinogens, produced under totally uncontrolled conditions. I'm trading this against my teflon omelette pan. Better? I doubt it very much.
Plastic kettles very definitely come under MACF regs and one of the simulants is hot water, so it's very well studied and extensively tested. I'm relaxed about that, I regard a modern kettle as the electrical equivalent of an NCAP 5* device. Compared to other stuff I eat it's a low risk factor.

Just checked my cheapo Aldi stainless steel kettle.
No plastic parts come into contact with water anywhere.
And as for toast, my Aldi toaster makes perfect toast, no preheat needed.

advertisement

Back