advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

During the time elapsed I’ve welcomed a granddaughter into the world whom I am currently teaching reasonably complex maths to. I’ve retired from work (I had no thought of retirement at the point all this started), I’ve lost two of my closest friends to cancer and my football club has been promoted and relegated 4 times. We’ve endured a global pandemic, one which I’m reasonably confident will be a thing of the past well before the project in question bears fruit. Who’d have thought??
Be fair now. In the same period Westlake has fixed the camera on Renata's phone.

And how many DACs people had during this time? Keeping money aside, would it help to have Lakewest dac? I notice, average DAC life in system for pinkfish people is quite short. Never happy?

And how many DACs people had during this time? Keeping money aside, would it help to have Lakewest dac? I notice, average DAC life in system for pinkfish people is quite short. Never happy?

Just the one (to replace my MDAC). Ironically designed by Mr Westlake for ProJect.

3 plus making a 5 rail LPSU for the MDAC.

Poll time ?

China is the answer, nuts SQ for peanuts.
That would be average 2 years per dac. Because of sound or features?

Just the one (to replace my MDAC). Ironically designed by Mr Westlake for ProJect.
Is it better sounding than MDAC?

It not very clear what is John's current design, but seeing that John changed designs and visions for a good DAC several times, I keep thinking, is it on something or will it be just another DAC for couple years?
I myself somehow avoided going to DAC route. Probably because I am not too much at home and when I am, CD player is fine for me. Actually amplifier has dac input if I really need to play something from computer.

I switched from MDAC2 to VFETS. What seemed like an attractive proposition at the time had me invest an extra £2000+ on top of the "salvaged" MDAC and development payments.

DACs
Metrum Octave mk i (24/192 capable one at the end of Squeezebox Touch)
Ayre QB9 24/192
Line Magnetic 502 CA with valve + opamp upgrade (present one)

If my VFets ever arrive I will have to give them pride of place below the TV in the livingroom to remind my wife that good things come to those people who wait patiently.

Last edited:
During the time elapsed I’ve welcomed a granddaughter into the world whom I am currently teaching reasonably complex maths to. I’ve retired from work (I had no thought of retirement at the point all this started), I’ve lost two of my closest friends to cancer and my football club has been promoted and relegated 4 times. We’ve endured a global pandemic, one which I’m reasonably confident will be a thing of the past well before the project in question bears fruit. Who’d have thought??

Childless and single when this all started.
Now married and have a 7 year old.

If my VFets ever arrive I will have to give them pride of place below the TV in the livingroom to remind my wife that good things come to those people who wait patiently.

I feel for you, rest assured you're not alone waiting patiently. For its the FDAC I'm waiting for, although I recall when you signed up for the VFets, I was sorely tempted too. But I was running Active Linn Isobariks and would have needed 12 channels, so I would have had to remortgage the house for 12 VFets, so luckily opted out of that project.

My daughter and I met John at the Bristol show about 6 years ago and it was exciting times talking to John and seeing a folder of design mockups and I believe there was a Detox chassis there too.

I reckon/guess John is waiting for the full MDAC2 pcb with the advanced clock to be in his hands with some listening results before he next surfaces. I guess he knows some backers are extremely annoyed and only the sight of a finished working MDAC2 pcb together with pics and some technical specs will suffice from his next post here or on FB.

From previous posts by John, I get the feeling he gets distracted by the miriad questions and spends too much time and effort thinking how to keep everyone onside while still overcoming technical and partnering issues.

I feel for you, rest assured you're not alone waiting patiently. For its the FDAC I'm waiting for, although I recall when you signed up for the VFets, I was sorely tempted too. But I was running Active Linn Isobariks and would have needed 12 channels, so I would have had to remortgage the house for 12 VFets, so luckily opted out of that project.

My daughter and I met John at the Bristol show about 6 years ago and it was exciting times talking to John and seeing a folder of design mockups and I believe there was a Detox chassis there too.

I reckon/guess John is waiting for the full MDAC2 pcb with the advanced clock to be in his hands with some listening results before he next surfaces. I guess he knows some backers are extremely annoyed and only the sight of a finished working MDAC2 pcb together with pics and some technical specs will suffice from his next post here or on FB.

From previous posts by John, I get the feeling he gets distracted by the miriad questions and spends too much time and effort thinking how to keep everyone onside while still overcoming technical and partnering issues.
I’m sure you are probably right. I’ve simply given up.

Wishful thinking I'm afraid. He's just thinking up his next excuse for failing to deliver. He has plenty of time to do this as his last excuse, the AKM fire, was intended to buy at least another year.

I find it harder and harder to resist the itch for waiting DAC #4. The one that I would want to try is the Tambaqui, but the pandemic prevent me from going to listen to one. Think the closest dealer is either in Stockholm or Amsterdam so travel is involved. Think it would also be an interesting DAC to benchmark Johns DAC against.

advertisement

Back