advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas day I watched Spider-Man: Into Spider-verse on Netflix. It's been up a while, but my first time watching it. It's great fun, doesn't require you to know three decades of canon to enjoy it, and has an amazing visual style plus a great soundtrack. Justified winner of the Oscar for Best Animated Feature, and by far the best Spider-Man film.

Watching 'Swedish Dicks' on Netflix and it's got some good laugh out loud moments.

It's got Peter Stormare in it, he of putting Steve Buscemi through a woodchopper (one of the best cinema scenes ever)

Midnight Sky : too many unresolved moments for my liking.

Did anyone question Mr Clooney about some of the included scenes, which seemed to serve no purpose at all ?

On a separate note, it's hard to review something without plot spoilers, isnt it !

We enjoyed midnight sky. Agreed there was no purpose to the plane scene at all.
I'm guessing that we were supposed to witness the central character (Clooney) going on a personal journey, of discovering himself, through the middle scenes.

It just didn't quite knit together. Which is a shame, because I struggle to fault the production values. There was some serious quality/money evidently spent. This wasn't a skimpy budget.

I think I expected too much from the film.

Midnight Sky : too many unresolved moments for my liking.

Did anyone question Mr Clooney about some of the included scenes, which seemed to serve no purpose at all ?

On a separate note, it's hard to review something without plot spoilers, isnt it !
I kind of agree but Mr C has a resume full of this. The interesting bits are interesting though and he always creates an atmosphere. The acting is also a highlight. Not totally successful but always classy, well filmed and thought provoking. He also likes to take his time to tell a story, something that is missing in many shorthand thrillers nowadays. Reminds me of the seventies.

Clooney was very disappointed by the reaction to Solaris. He was very proud of the film. I think he lauds that particular style of filmmaking and it permeates his own efforts. Personally I like films to take their time to unfold and I like little scenes that sometimes seem irrelevant but which actually add layers to the characters in the film. You can feel him exploring the medium. People are used to rapid, cartoon style storytelling of many of today’s films, films that eschew character development in favour of just hitting the main landmarks of the story. I appreciate a director who tries to add substance, even if it turns out to be a worthy failure.

I did not enjoy gravity at all, ho hum.

Gravity was garbage. Nicely shot, but absolute garbage.

if you want the absolute worst sci-fi movie ever made, watch Ad Astra - utterly incoherent and moronic drivel, like a 9 year old’s vision of what a sci-fi movie should be.

Gravity wasn’t garbage. It was technically brilliant and that was its main thrust. It didn’t pretend to be anything more. My very favourite Sci fi was Silent Running, a dated, perhaps, but deeply human story. Movingly shot and played. Sci fi can often be cold and dispassionate. This wasn’t and stands out because of it.

Gravity wasn’t garbage. It was technically brilliant and that was its main thrust. It didn’t pretend to be anything more. My very favourite Sci fi was Silent Running, a dated, perhaps, but deeply human story. Movingly shot and played. Sci fi can often be cold and dispassionate. This wasn’t and stands out because of it.

No. No :)

Respectfully, disagree.

My fave SciFi was "Moon". Beautifully shot; haunting soundtrack; great acting; and explored the notion of self, of loss, of isolation (bit like PFM reallly ;) )

(Oh and Moon was done on 5 million bucks, which is nothing in terms of budget)

I kind of agree but Mr C has a resume full of this. The interesting bits are interesting though and he always creates an atmosphere. The acting is also a highlight. Not totally successful but always classy, well filmed and thought provoking. He also likes to take his time to tell a story, something that is missing in many shorthand thrillers nowadays. Reminds me of the seventies.

I'm still looing for the story, tbh. It must have fallen down the back of the settee, as I reached for another Xmas bonbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back