advertisement

Maris Piper or King Edward Roasties

We had a potato variety we had never tried recently, they were called kestrel and they were great, made fine roasties (and mash).

Pour off as the bird roasts, into a saucepan. Next day, heat some cleaned jam jars and JUST melt the fat, pour into the jars, allow to cool and then refrigerate. It will last, perfectly OK, for literally years. I found a jar at the very back of the fridge a few weeks back, dated 2018, and it was fine when used.

The real secret is to buy the very smallest goose you can as it will be relatively lean - extra weight is usually much more fat and not much more lean.

Also - goose is the only thing that I cook on a trivet/roasting rack......

We always have Duck at Christmas, roasting rack for that otherwise it's like picking the bird out of an an oil spill, also easy to get the fat out of the tray for the roasties and just to really OD on the calories they will be cut Hasselback style.

Swan fat? Surely not

No, of course. The swan reference is purely intended as a humorous nod towards the inevitable huge variety of recommendations and methods that will appear. There’s lots of experience on here so there will lots of views, very likely containing more and more exotic ingredients!

Maris pipers, olive oil, no parboiling before
Peel, chop, coat in oil , bit of salt
oven at 180, 45 mins, perfect

Have you compared them to ones that have been part boiled? Curious to know how they'd differ.

We always have Duck at Christmas, roasting rack for that otherwise it's like picking the bird out of an an oil spill, also easy to get the fat out of the tray for the roasties and just to really OD on the calories they will be cut Hasselback style.

Try the Duck in Port with figs, russel, from the Alice B Toklas cookbook one day - ignore the hash fudge and related stuff for elderly visitors if they're a bit frail ;) My elderly parents still rave about the duck after 20 years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1897959192/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Have you compared them to ones that have been part boiled? Curious to know how they'd differ.

My wife parboils them, I prefer my version, her's do seem crispier though

Happy with either to be fair, mine's a more convenient method (less pots)

Pentland Crown or Javelin work best for me, parboil for 15 mins then shake in the pan before 45 mins in hot oil / goose fat - unbeatable

Both very good

Always have the roasting tray red hot before you add the fat (ideally dripping, or duck/goose fat, but olive oil works superbly too)

Keep the oven hot; par boil the spuds for 10mins and then drain. Let them steam dry for a good 5mins and then chuff them up; then into the hot fat and leave them for 45mins at least, then flatten a bit (more surface area), chuck over some red wine/balsamic vinegar (adds a nice touch) and lots of fresh rosemary (if you like your herbs); bay leaves work superbly too... They impart their flavour, but don't burn/brown in the next 15/20mins of roasting

All done

Serve and scoff to your hearts delight ;) :D

King Eds are first choice. Albert Bartlett Roosters work really well too. We have an old tube with a mix of Goose and various other fats that gets recycled a lot. For Xmas we start with brand new tub of Goose Fat.

Maris pipers. Parboil for 10 mins. Drain into a colinder and then back into the pan. Repeat a few times to get the “fluffy edges”. Sprinkle with flour (use whatever you have) then into a pan of hot oil (we like a olive/vegetable mix).

In the oven at 200 for 15 mins then turn, another 15 mins then turn followed by 20 mins then serve.

The flour adds a bit of crispness. Hadn’t thought about semolina so thank you to Del monaco for the steer.

Wilja are my favourite. Bags of flavour & great for roasting.

Grew those this year and they were superb until the wet/damp and a bit too warm weather stayed with us too long and the damn things ended up riddled with slugs!

They'll be grown in pots solely next year; they grow really well in staggered pots :)

I prefer King Edwards too, but if they’re not available then Maris Pipers are good too, as are the red skinned Roosters. A lot of it is in the parboiling and roasting times and methods used. I don’t eat meat so use olive oil for roasting, but I’m sure there will be lots of duck, goose and swan fat recommendations any time now!

You missed out Ostrich and Moa Fat.. which all true Fatophiles use as a matter of course..:)

Personally. I have never tasted better Roasties than the ones my old Mum made when roasting Beef every Sunday.. when Beef was cheap and Chicken was the food of the Gods.

Parboiling isn't essential... but it is a reliable way of getting a bit of salt into the spuds. I find 5-7 minutes max is all you need.. though obviously size of spuds has an influence.

Then ideally let them dry off for a bit and chuck in the fat/oil of your choice. either separately..or in the same tray as the meat/duck/swan/haunch of venison/sucking pig..etc.
Obviously... if you are roasting a whole Ox.. a Horse..Rhino or similar. you will need to put the spuds in the drip tray underneath.. and adjust timings.

advertisement

Back