advertisement

Innuos - best CD ripping solution

Like some of the others said the customer support is excellent and they helped me get up and running even though I got it all second hand
Like you my unit is 2nd hand and I had a problem a few days ago with the latest update - 1.4.6.
Long story short - I contacted Innuos and within 24 hours arranged a slot for the Support Manager (Joao) to take remote control of the unit and problem was sorted within about 20 mins.
It's that sort of service that will persuade me to stick with Innuos - that and the undoubted quality of their products.:)

Last edited:
You need that kind of back up. That’s why I stuck with Vortexbox for a long time. Martin was very on hand to sort out issues. A good man and a credit to his company.

I understand that the Zen mini has an onboard DAC and the full size case models require an external DAC but is it essential to connect to the internet via a ethernet cable and to own and use a computer to operate the various Innuos models, I would be using it as a hard drive server basically to rip and stream my own CDs. I'm asking as I would like to remove the physical CD collection from my music room and use the Innuos as a storage and playback device. And lastly how much storage is required, I have around 1000 CDs but have access to a further 5000 (my brothers collection) though there's quite a bit of my brothers CDs I would have no interest in.

I use a 4TB Zen Mark III which was kindly supplied by Lee at @Strictly Stereo. It replaced an ancient 2TB Vortexbox. I stream via a Lumin D1 that feeds zeros and ones to an Aestethix Pandora DAC

So it can serve a Lumin. That's good to know.
If the software is based on Squeezebox server, can you use the plugins for radio (BBC Sounds etc.)

I understand that the Zen mini has an onboard DAC and the full size case models require an external DAC but is it essential to connect to the internet via a ethernet cable and to own and use a computer to operate the various Innuos models, I would be using it as a hard drive server basically to rip and stream my own CDs. I'm asking as I would like to remove the physical CD collection from my music room and use the Innuos as a storage and playback device. And lastly how much storage is required, I have around 1000 CDs but have access to a further 5000 (my brothers collection) though there's quite a bit of my brothers CDs I would have no interest in.

Certain features, including CD ripping, rely on having a working Internet connection. All models now offer 1TB, 2TB, 4TB or 8TB of built-in HDD or SSD storage. 1TB is enough to store approximately 1,500 CDs in WAV format or 2,500 in FLAC format. The 4TB version could store your 6,000 CDs with room to spare. It is possible to upgrade later, but it is cheaper and easier to choose the right storage capacity at the outset.

So it can serve a Lumin. That's good to know.
If the software is based on Squeezebox server, can you use the plugins for radio (BBC Sounds etc.)

I use Roon so get all my internet radio via that. The Lumin is a Roon endpoint. I have Roon Rock on a NUC so the Innuos is really a network share currently. I could run the Innuos as a LMS server and then use the Lumin App and the Lumin to source internet radio. However, Roon is ideal in this case. We have multiple endpoints around the house and everything just works. It sounds complicated, but it is really very simple to set up and maintain, speaking as a fully unqualified numpty when it comes to IT matters.

I have had an Innuos Zen Mk2 for going on 3 years. It just works, simple. I don’t want to mess with computers and all the other stuff. I just use my iPad and iPeng, which yes, is a bit kludgy at first, but it works, no issues. Love the thing.

There are so many different options, we all make choices based on user friendly, ease of setup, sound, cheap(er), whatever. These days, most digital stuff is very good. Nice to have so many choices!

I have had an Innuos Zen Mk2 for going on 3 years. It just works, simple. I don’t want to mess with computers and all the other stuff. I just use my iPad and iPeng, which yes, is a bit kludgy at first, but it works, no issues. Love the thing.

There are so many different options, we all make choices based on user friendly, ease of setup, sound, cheap(er), whatever. These days, most digital stuff is very good. Nice to have so many choices!

You mention that you like iPeng and that it is kludgy at first. Are you using it to play your ripped CDs or for streaming? I mainly use my Zenith to stream Tidal and find iPengs functionality way lower than Tidal itself. How do you get past the kludgy stage?

Why do you need bespoke hardware to rip a CD? dBPoweramp software on a PC with a CD-ROM drive attached will create a perfect FLAC rip, saved onto an external hard drive which you can plug into whatever streaming system you have.

Why do you need bespoke hardware to rip a CD?
You don't - but having ripped my modest CD collection on to a Innuos I found it simplicity itself & like someone else mentioned I also had a couple of CD's that I 'd failed to rip in the past and the Innuos succeeded first time without blinking.
It's fair to say that once you've ripped your collection and assuming you don't buy CD's anymore that the ripper function is somewhat redundant but that won't stop me upgrading to a Zenith in the future as primarily the Innuos is an excellent server & streamer - the ripping facility for me was the icing on the cake.

Reading of people with 1000s of CDs to rip has me thinking - I've only got maybe just over 100 or so. Does it make sense to spend £2000 or more on a box to rip or play them when that would pay for X years of a streaming service and an endless library of music. eg I have trialled Tidal in the past and used via my PC connected via a cheapish DAC to the hifi and it sounded pretty good I have to say. On top of this I have noticed that the few Innuos players on ebay have been sitting unsold for at least the last 2 weeks or so. I find this somewhat concerning.
So for pure streaming without the need for ripping and to take my PC out of the equation is there another winning product eg I hear Melco mentioned a lot.

My CD collection was already ripped. I bought my Innuos because of the sound improvements. The ripping bit is nice to have but the server function is worth the money for me.

I've only got maybe just over 100 or so. Does it make sense to spend £2000 or more on a box to rip or play them
Nope! Roon and either Qobuz or Tidal would make a fantastic system. You could run Roon Core on a computer you already own, and buy a cheap as chips Raspberry Pi to use as a Roon endpoint into your hifi. There are plenty other possible configurations.

Reading of people with 1000s of CDs to rip has me thinking - I've only got maybe just over 100 or so. Does it make sense to spend £2000 or more on a box to rip or play them when that would pay for X years of a streaming service and an endless library of music. eg I have trialled Tidal in the past and used via my PC connected via a cheapish DAC to the hifi and it sounded pretty good I have to say. On top of this I have noticed that the few Innuos players on ebay have been sitting unsold for at least the last 2 weeks or so. I find this somewhat concerning.
So for pure streaming without the need for ripping and to take my PC out of the equation is there another winning product eg I hear Melco mentioned a lot.
I'm now confused at to what you're really after as your opening post mentions a Zen Mini Mk3 which is nowhere near 2k?
With regard to your point about ebay I think that for most people spending over 2k on a 2nd hand item is quite a step - certainly not one I'd take. In addition I think there's an element of sellers having unrealistic expectations as to the 2nd hand value of these items.
I've noticed that reasonably priced Mk2 & 3 minis don't hang around very long at all but for now there seem to be a number of Mk1 units at high prices hence the reason they're not selling.

This is always my concern. I have thought about ripping but I’m not convinced that the time spent or tedium involved will be worthwhile. I do intend to put my cds and covert art into slipcases though. I still value cd replay. All renderers have their qualities, whether vinyl, streaming, fm or cd.

advertisement

Back