advertisement

Totem - What? How?!

Danza

pfm Member
I don't get it. I picked up a pair of Totem Sttaf at the weekend, they were faulty, and cheap because of it. They came with claws, all the ball-bearings and grills. A new pair in this spec would have set you back ~£2.2k.

ignDDSu.jpg

A bit of faffing about swapping drivers between cabs pointed to the crossovers being at fault (at this point I was expecting something to be very expensively wrong). As it turned out, a resistor had all but vaporised on the tweeter circuit on one, and was on the way out on the other. A pair of Mills wire-wounds later and all is good.

dXSYRcb.jpg

MX5agq5.jpg

MX5agq5.jpg

Taking these speakers apart, I can see that there are compromises, compromises that on the face of them seem like they should be too far for the price tag. The binding posts are like any other on any speakers that are well under 500 quid, the cabinets are nice, not exceptional. They are simple and light, very light (yeah, I know Totem's mantra is along the lines of less mass, less energy stored or somesuch - it all seems, on the face of it, to be a ruse to allow small, light speakers to be sold for a lot of dollar). The Tonsil pressed-steel-basketed woofers and seemingly basic tweeters which I went to the effort of contacting a supplier in Poland and wasting their time in getting a new pair of each priced up would have set me back an almighty £90 for all 4, total cost shipped to the UK, and £30 of that is postage. A single Dynaudio tweeter for my long gone 72 SEs was over £220, and at least Dynaudio drivers look like serious components with all the nice casting details on the woofer baskets, vented poles and aluminium voice coils etc. The Sttaf crossovers, whilst seemingly happy to shed resistors, look pretty damn serious at least in terms of their simplicity and the size of components strapped to them. No PCB, all point-to-point.

rHSLr1a.jpg

I3Qw5z5.jpg

g4ESZok.jpg

Taking the Sttaf drivers out, you have socket set button-head machine screws that have been wound into the MDF roughly perpendicular to the surface, no metallic inserts anywhere (I know, these can work loose over time, but at least they don't wear out, although to be fair they're not meant to be un/re-fastened on a regular basis).

This is not my first experience with Totem speakers; I once had a pair of Rokks that were well looked after and worked well, until one day I heard a distortion-like bass driver death-rattle from one of the cabs. It wasn't the woofer, but actually the back panel of the cab. It had literally been blown away from the carcass of the cabinet. It took a gentle push for it to fall out completely (I Titebonded it back in, no problems after). These speakers were similarly 'cheaply' built.

Is the borosilicate internal damping that Totem employs that expensive?

I can only conclude that the speakers are far, far better than the sum of their parts, and that in part at least is the justification for their price tag.

At this point, I'm genuinely in fear for my Kef 104/2s when I plug them back in. The Totems are, so far, ridiculously good for what they are.

Anyone else feel similar, or am I in a minority?

Not surprising really. But a good find and I’m jealous that I don’t have the skills that you have to recover these things.

I used to have Totem Forests & thought they were superb. Maybe a bit too much bass, but that was probably a result of the room as much as anything else.
I also heard the Winds in a fairly expensive set up & loved them as well.
I think they went through an expensive phase where the Canadian dollar rate meant they were competing with speakers a bit above their usual price point.
I had the Beaks on the Forests, more as a talking point rather than believing they altered the sound much.

i thought the Sttaf were supposed to be among their 'budget' offerings? I've always wanted to hear their isobarik (forgot the name for the moment) to hear how close it came to the Sara9 ...

i thought the Sttaf were supposed to be among their 'budget' offerings? I've always wanted to hear their isobarik (forgot the name for the moment) to hear how close it came to the Sara9 ...
The Totem you’re talking about are the Mani 2. I’m not 100% sure but typically, the Sara’s need to be against the back wall to sound right while the Mani 2 have to be away from the back wall so the soundstage is probably better than the Sara’s.

I don´t get it either. I bought some Totem Arros brand new from a shop in Ottawa, maybe 15 years ago after hearing them on the Sugden stand at a Heathrow show coupled with Sugden A21a In fact Suggies were the then UK distributors for Totem. The drivers looked nothing like those Toncils, in fact I think they were Dynaudio. The then cheapest Totem offering cost me 1000 Canadian dollars, if I remember rightly. No way could you call them lightweight despite their diminutive width and depth.

Last edited:
I have a pair if Sttaf too. Driven by a Quad 34/306 they are astonishing. I could easily live with them forever. In one sense they are my ‘retirement home’ system.

Well done on reviving these.

I guess "Tonsil" must mean something different in Polish than it does in English?

Nice thread Danza and a great economic repair! I heard a pair at a dealer many years ago and thought they were excellent. The quality of the crossovers looks diametrically opposed to that of the rest and of course there’s the ‘legendary’secret sauce used by Totem- the borosilicate paint on the insides.

I don´t get it either. I bought some Totem Arros brand new from a shop in Ottawa, maybe 15 years ago after hearing them on the Sugden stand at a Heathrow show coupled with Sugden A21a In fact Suggies were the then UK distributors for Totem. The drivers looked nothing like those Toncils, in fact I think they were Dynaudio. The then cheapest Totem offering cost me 1000 Canadian dollars, if I remember rightly. No way could you call them lightweight despite their diminutive width and depth.

The Arro woofer is branded Scanspeak, but is actually an old Peerless design, good driver but inexpensive stamped frame. Commonly fail due to being overdriven, as they're only a nominal 4 inch driver. Can't recall what the tweeter is.

I really like Arros driven by a Nait 1 or 2. The sound is punchy and tuneful even with a humble Apollo-R or an SL-1200. The Arros seem to get the important things right.

Never heads a pair of totems I would like to own in my Hifi system. And I've heard many.

I love Vince and his marketing and to a certain degree the design concepts, but not for me.

I've never heard a Totem I didn't like. Most of the Totem models appear to be the result of a clean-sheet design process, as opposed to the more common procedure of scaling up using similar or identical drivers. Hence you find a Peerless driver in the Arro, a Tonsil in the Staff, a genuine Scanspeak slit-cone in the Hawk, and a HiVi unit in the Forest.

The first two stand mounts, the Model One and Mani 2, used a similar recipe of Dynaudio mid-bass and Seas ali dome tweeter, but the next one, the Tabu, went way off script with a Vifa M18 and a Dynaudio Esotar 260.

There's no doubt in my mind that Vince is a very clever designer, up there with such North American luminaries as Jim Thiel, Michael Kelly (Aerial), John Devore, Richard Vandersteen and Peter Snell.

I was surprised when I changed the driver on my totem mite at how basic they were. I also can’t believe how good a small speaker can be, so much so, although I’m not using them, I can’t sell them. In my Kitchen with my Nait1 or Nait2 they were brilliant.

I've owned and used a pair of Mani-2 for nearly a quarter century and still like what they do. I added a few Model-One 's' later on... These are OK (and are used for home-theater duty), but the Mani-2 are better although more demanding in terms of positioning. Reliability has been excellent, despite the 'artistic' wiring and use of blue tack to keep the components in place and vibration free.

I've owned and used a pair of Mani-2 for nearly a quarter century and still like what they do. I added a few Model-One 's' later on... These are OK (and are used for home-theater duty), but the Mani-2 are better although more demanding in terms of positioning. Reliability has been excellent, despite the 'artistic' wiring and use of blue tack to keep the components in place and vibration free.
In a hi-fi show, I talked to one of the owners of Totem and he agreed with me that the Mani 2 was probably their best speaker ever but as the sales were rather low and the speakers required powerful amps to sing properly, they decided to stop making them.
He also told me they had to adapt the design of their newer products for people who live in condominium apartments with slim lines and easier to place near walls.

I love the sound of Totem speakers. So much so, that I’m in the process of custom building a home and looking at having the house wired with in ceiling Totem speakers throughout and adding a second set of towers- either the Tribe or a second set of Forest Signatures.
They pair beautifully with my all Rega system compared to when I had my Kef or Monitor Audio towers hooked up to the same system.

C2-BBB20-B-CC03-4-D90-BD5-F-EFB8-CD34-E9-BD.jpg

88017-A45-FD63-4-FE6-9831-7898-F7737879.jpg

advertisement

Back