advertisement

Tour de France 2020

40x 38t for me on Winnats these days, it is a gravel bike though the position is crap for climbing.

Re seated or standing, go watch the uk Hill climb comps, there's no one sat down on the short stuff.

Gearing is totally different these days but in my yoof, even winter clubruns were done on a 13-17 block so getting out of the saddle on climbs was pretty much mandatory. I still have memories of Winnats one Sunday and a 17 only got me so far. I think it's the only time I've walked but having said that i don't reckon you'd get me anywhere near it now,smaller gears or not.....
We did the alps with a 53/39 on the front & a 28 on the back. It was fine, most of my bikes have a 52/36 now.

Winnats on a 17 is pretty unthinkable but there is nothing in the alps quite like it. A horrible climb made worse by busy traffic & normally a headwind.

You can see if it's wearing yourself. The teeth go hook shaped if very worn, before that the drive faces of the teeth start to mushroom out a bit. It takes a very long time though, especially if you oil the thing now and again.
Will have a close look
New chain and back block fitted in February.

Haven't done the Alpe, but tight hairpins can reach 30%, albeit only for a few yards, and I have got to get out of the saddle for those!
Alpe d'Huez is unusual in that the hairpins are flat, there is no steep bit on the inside. The only ramps are the bits between the hairpins. It's a very do-able climb, the first 2 or 3k are hardest then it's steady away to the top.
I second the rec for Sa Calobra above, it's great fun down and up though traffic can be a problem. I think it was Wiggins who called it "Scalextric for cyclists". The road to the Formentor lighthouse is a must too.

The Alpe is indeed manageable. It's worth taking it easy on the way down especially when passing through the small villages. I've done it a few times, the hardest was at the end of the 2015 Marmotte, the heat was unbearable and only a third of the field finished. I lost count of the broken men collapsed by their bikes at the side of the climb.
I rode to the Formentor Lighthouse the morning after the Mallorca 312. Luckily we made an early start, the traffic really started to build up mid morning. I'd even consider taking lights as the tunnel near the top isn't lit. It's certainly worth dropping your sunglasses down your nose before descending through the tunnel.

40x 38t for me on Winnats these days, it is a gravel bike though the position is crap for climbing.

Re seated or standing, go watch the uk Hill climb comps, there's no one sat down on the short stuff.

Agreed. Never actually raced Winnats but have done Riber (when it was a long climb too), Monsal etc

I’ve raced Monsal once, may do it next year as I turn 50. It is a horrible climb through the middle section where there is no one to cheer you on.

Riber is probably the hardest hill I’ve climbed & did it on 39/25, a bit of a grind. They do it as a double header with Bank Road now. Not for the faint of heart.

I’ve raced Monsal once, may do it next year as I turn 50. It is a horrible climb through the middle section where there is no one to cheer you on.

Look on the bright side there's nobody to watch you suffer. You going for Elliott's record?

Look on the bright side there's nobody to watch you suffer. You going for Elliott's record?
Ha, ha, no. Many better riders than I have tried, a rider from our club came the closest recently, unfortunately he is also a complete tosser so I was quite glad that he fell short;) Elliot would probably still go under 1.30 if he tried even now; he rides a lot in the Peaks & is still very fit.

And city centre criteriums? They were popular in the 80s. Closest I ever got to my hero Sean Kelly was at one in Manchester. I was desperate for his autograph.

Anyone remember the milk cup ? ........ sorry that was football. Great Orme, nice and hilly for cycling.

And city centre criteriums? They were popular in the 80s. Closest I ever got to my hero Sean Kelly was at one in Manchester. I was desperate for his autograph.

Saw the Fagor team in Manchester (89?), Millar, Elliott, McLoughlin, Yates - I think Roche was injured

advertisement

Back