advertisement

Tour de France 2020

I think the one I went to in Manchester was 1986 but I might be wrong. We had to leave to get the train back to Sheffield and missed meeting Kelly. Still annoyed about this.

Very nice, gavreid. I loved the old Campag stuff. However, some of their breaks looked a lot better than they performed. Think they used to call them 'racing' breaks as you never need to stop that quickly when you're racing :>

Very nice, gavreid. I loved the old Campag stuff. However, some of their breaks looked a lot better than they performed. Think they used to call them 'racing' breaks as you never need to stop that quickly when you're racing :>

They did ride them in the peloton for a few seasons, more on TT bikes, so they couldn't have been that bad - setup could be 'quite difficult' though

Thank goodness I could never afford them so I had to slum it with 105 or 600 brakes (which worked very well, even before the days of dual pivot)

The rear derailleur is almost sexual.

The shimano designs of the same era were very similar.

s-l300.jpg

Modern long cage don't look anywhere near as nice, but they allow for a much larger spread of gears - which is good for aging legs.

The shimano designs of the same era were very similar.
Modern long cage don't look anywhere near as nice, but they allow for a much larger spread of gears - which is good for aging legs.

Just so. Suntour's patent on the double parallelogram had just expired.

Vintage bike brakes are almost universally bloody awful in use. The old calipers were OK to be fair, with new pads, but cantis were useless. V brakes were a revelation on MTBs. At least they are adequate in most conditions. Touring or cyclo cantis will just about stop the thing rolling away in a stiff breeze, with a firm hand on the lever.

I have a touring bike with cantilever brakes - I have mulled changing them to Vs. I think I could reuse the levers as there's plenty of travel. I should probably get to it this winter.

advertisement

Back