advertisement

3 Cartridges that have really given you the wow factor - past or present

I only found this out relatively recently. I long assumed the carts were Grados with a small tweak or two. I guess it made sense to use an existing body that gave you what you wanted but it must have cost sales. Not just because the cart does not look like an entirely different product but because the Grado body looks dated, cheap and ugly!

I don't think I've read a bad review of the carts though and I can live with the looks. Definitely interested.

I just phoned Len, I mentioned the comments re dated cheap & ugly he agreed, he said that he had tried different bodies at considerable expense none were as inert as the poly-carbonate ex Grado body the reason he bought the rights in the first place. If you want to eye candy their not for you, if the sound is of overriding importance go listen...

Me Pig is correct to the best of Len's knowledge none of his cartridges has had a bad review in all the years of production.

Last edited:
Over 40+ years of turntable messing, I've had a few 'wow' moments:

Ortofon VMS20 - In my student days I'd had a few lower Ortofons (and the MC10 too), cheaper Grados, etc. The VMS20 was the first cartridge where I thought, hang on, that really is miles better.

Linn Troika - I got on the LP12 ladder in the early 80's and went through all the Linn cartridges, but the Troika was a cut above all of them - better than the Arkiv II that followed. I really wish I'd kept mine.

Ortofon Cadenza Blue - I heard all three of the Cadenza models, but the Blue really is the 'sweet spot'. I've had it re-tipped for the fourth time, so it bears no resemblance to the original - but it's still a keeper.

Ones I really want to try, but don't necessarily want to splash out on because they're silly money: Zyx Ultimate Dynamic, VdH Grasshopper, Audio Technica Art1000, Ortofon MC95. Just for fun, I wouldn't mind a Decca too.

I haven't owned that many different cartridge models but these do deserve a shout (in no particular order):

• Sure N97xE: it is a cheap cartridge with excellent bass response and lovely vocals.
  • Benz Ace: this was a loaner and my first introduction to MC carts. This is defiantly a good cart for the price.
  • AT OC9/III: this is my current cart. Audio Technica has several more carts that are worth a mention. The OC9 is a great allrounder and well worth its price tag.

Over forty-five years or so, in the order owned:-

Shure V15
Dynavector 10x
Linn Kandid

There were other very good ones in between, but those, at the time I owned them, were noteworthy.

Mick

I've had and heard quite a few cartridges over the years, but three stand out for me for various reasons —
  • Supex, I think it was an SD-900 — This was my first moving coil cartridge and to say it beat the pants off the various MMs I had before is a bit of an understatement. For days afterwards moving magnets throughout the land were running around with bare bottoms, wondering where their pants were. I'll tell ya where they were — the Supex was wearing them!

• Linn Karma — It did everything I liked about the Supex and it did them better.

• Dynavector XX2 Mk II: Electric Boogaloo — Best cartridge I've had to date; many strengths and no shortcomings.
If I can extend the list to four, I'll add the Dynavector XV-1s. I can't afford or justify it, but the XV-1s is clearly the work of a higher intelligence, perhaps a hyper-intelligent race from a nearby planet. O...M...G, is it good.

Joe

I'm on my second Sumoko Pearwood Celebration 11 Also Kotetu Premium BE 11 Blackwood Monaural . These are the two used just now and the best I have heard on my system.

Decca Super Gold, the original with the VDH stylus. Quite startling dynamics.

Denon DL110, bought one back in the 80s when they cost £50 and was shocked that it gave much more expensive carts a good run.

Mission 773, my first MC and exposure to the MC magic. The LP12/774/773 (or a Supex) was 'it' for a short while in the UK for the front end to own. Just before the Ittok/Asak hit the scene.

Honourable mention must go to the AT33ptg (Mk1&2) - Every expect of performance is excellent and I can find no negatives worth mentioning. If i were ranking cartridges out of 10 irrespective of price, this is a 9. Not too shabby for a $500 cart.

Last edited:
Next up was a Proteus,

Amazing cart. Good as my Benz Ebony was, this pushed the boundaries completely. Haven't reinstalled my Urushi since I got the Proteus 4 years ago.

Unless I've missed it, there's been no mention of MIYAJIMA. I know there are fishie users out there, and there are a number of models as well. Okay, they need a weighty arm, but I'm still surprised, after 6 pp.

In no particular order.

Audio a Technica Art9. Brilliant cartridge that suits a wide range of arms and turntables. This cart is a stone cold bargain many carts twice its price aren’t as good.

Decca Supergold. Very fussy about arm and quality of the vinyl. However on the right arm, set up properly, with the right record there is very little that can beat it.

Audio note io gold. Needs a quality SUT and phono stage but with the right match it is superb. In fact all the io range are excellent they just need great Step ups to get the best from them.

best value to sound ratio. Audio Technica AT33 PTGii will beat most carts twice it’s price.

Favourite three I've owned:
-Denon DL-110. Cheap, with musical mojo.
-Benz ACE SL. Mmm, very satisfying.
-Audio Note IQ3. Current one - nails engaging, fatigue-free detail.

Ultimo 10X - not mine but a neighbours, when I was a kid 1979, I’d go round and listen to his Technics/Ultimo/Sugden/E90 as often as possible, so much better than our SP25/Shure/Dynatron, kicked off this lifetime hobby/obsession. Plus I have a lifelong love of the 10X series, currently I have the 10X5, was going to get the new Mk2 but went for a big leap and the XX2 Mk2.

XX2 Mk2 - recent upgrade and one of those why didn’t I buy this years ago, sounds fantastic on my Gyro/PU7. Bottom end is excellent as is the soundstage, simply better all round compared to the 10x5.

AT33 PTG - bought out of curiosity seeing it mentioned heaps over a few years, installed on my Technics the sound quality is more than the sum of the parts. Makes we wonder how good an ART9 is, hope to have my PT back in action this weekend so I might succumb to temptation and swap out the 10x5 which is pretty long in the tooth now, prob had it 15 years plus.

For me, in my more modest set up.

Goldring 1042- had it a long time. Lovely balanced cartridge that is a pleasure to listen to. Good solid bass, detailed midrange and good treble all for an attractive price. Using it again now.

Clearaudio MM Concept Metal. Tight and detailed with sparkling treble which could be aggressive if not carefully tamed but great for the price.

AT95E-My first cartridge with my first TT, a Rega Planar 2 with the venerable 250 arm.I was staggered how good it was for the price.A fond memory.

Lyra Helikon and Dynavector DVXX 2 were great. However, my current Audio Note Io Gold is a source of much pleasure. Best cartridge I've owned by some distance.

Early years - Linn K9 - Not the last word in refinement but punchy, dynamic and FUN!
Mid years - Denon DL-304 - Fabulous cartridge, had 3 of these over a 10yr period, such a shame they stopped making them
Recently - Audio Technica AT-VM750SH - To my ears better than my Hana SL and more fun (but less sophisticated) than my Cadenza Bronze!! In fact the Bronze has now been sold and the VM750SH is still on my turntable.

Mid years - Denon DL-304 - Fabulous cartridge, had 3 of these over a 10yr period, such a shame they stopped making them

I also used one for about 10 years until they stopped making them.

Me too, but I always found it favoured classical over rock. The low tracking weight also meant it wasn't good at pushing any dirt out of the way.

Current incumbent AT33ptgii sorts both issues out.

I suspect Denon's new owners don't see much future in the cartridges. I'm still flying the flag with a DL-102 mono however.

IIRC -First, in early 70's, first hi-fi deck (still use it) replaced the Yamaha supplied cartridge with a Stanton 681eee.
Next my first new turntable in the late 90's, later fitted with a Goldring 1042.
Now, Clearaudio deck with a Nagaoka MP-500, Heaven at last.

In no particular order.

Audio a Technica Art9. Brilliant cartridge that suits a wide range of arms and turntables. This cart is a stone cold bargain many carts twice its price aren’t as good.

best value to sound ratio. Audio Technica AT33 PTGii will beat most carts twice it’s price.

I have an AT33PTGii in my second system that I bought new for £400 and I’d agree it’s the best sound-per-pound I’ve ever heard. It does, of course, pique my interest in the ART-9... has anybody heard the new xi version yet?

Cheers

Iain.

I would have thought that if ESco could not re-tip that Lyra definitely could or at least offer a trade in a new Lyra...
Yes, trade-in discount is what I thought Lyra offered on the Clavis DC. I think others will rebuild it, but not in the same exact way that Lyra produced it. I think the cantilever terminated in such a way in the original that it could not be re-done. Others change this arrangement in order to rebuilt a Clavis DC, but then it’s not quite the same as originally supplied.

Surprised on one has mentioned the Monster Alpha Genesis 1000. Those were excellent in their day! Had one re-tipped by Soundsmith and it’s still quite good.

advertisement

Back