advertisement

Recent advice/threads on DIY PSU for LP12

vinyl_paul

pfm Member
Hi Guys,
I am looking to start on my first LP12 and need a PSU having sold an old Valhalla board a few weeks ago (doh!!)

Not after spending a fortune on this so wondered on recent projects/DIY help for a PSU? I have been reading up on DIY Geddon but most threads are very old, so wondered what the latest is in this area.

Is there a modern DIY version of the Basik PSU? Upgrades can come later!
I can use a soldering iron but am not a circuit designer :)

I like the idea of a geddon clone as well. The old threads on this forum seem to have gone? Or they refer to an FAQ which I can't find. Anyone saved/archived the instructions etc for a DIY geddon?

Aaargh, if you were in the USA I have a 'Geddon clone that isn't being used, but its too darned heavy to consider shipping. I have the threads archived, if you PM me your email I can forward them

A geddon clone is likely the cheapest way in.

Finally got around to reading about the DIY geddon - it certainly doesn't look too hard.
Hardest will be getting a nice case for it, oh and the transformer? :)

Anyone got any nice pictures to share of their geddon?
Up to date source (p/n) for favourite transformer for this?
Finally, case options - I realise there might be a few

I stopped using my Geddon clone. So have a transformer available if you are interested send a PM

Cheers
Ian

@vinyl_paul
Thanks for the invite
I am looking to build a ps also. I have it in mind for a Systemdek ( teardrop armboard) and will also try it on my currently valhallaed LP12
First timer here, and I reckon I know enough to proceed slowly and carefully.
I am reading as much material as I can get hold of.
atb
John

Personally I wouldn't use a geddon but if wanting to DIY there is a project called "Nigel's Speed Controller" that should do the trick.

Thanks for the links @ralphj

Can anyone explain the advantage on why a 500VA is better than a 400VA? Most people are using 500VA but doesn't the original use 400VA?
On a related note, Talema vs RS-PRO for example - its a transformer, does varies to choose one over the other?

I am interested in what you would go for then? What would be your preference?

Erm... I just recommended Nigel's speed controller... I think....

As to what I would go for personally well I would build one of my own designs.... call it "not invented here syndrome" if you like... if having a TT PSU was not way down my list of priorities!

Geddon is far too silly...

Not sure that a Nigel controller can be built these days. the Sig Gen chip has been out of production for a long time, and wasn't terribly well regarded when it was around.

More recently DIYAudio has had a group buy for a turntable speed controller that works well (I have one - still to box it up and finish it). This group buy has options that enable it to fit right into an LP12. Not sure if the group buy is still going - I know there was/is a second phase.

Not sure that a Nigel controller can be built these days. the Sig Gen chip has been out of production for a long time, and wasn't terribly well regarded when it was around.

Oh, no, that doesn't sound good for me. I bought a board a while back with a view to building one for a Garrard 401. I was hoping to get someone to help me put it together, one day and all that....

More recently DIYAudio has had a group buy for a turntable speed controller that works well (I have one - still to box it up and finish it). This group buy has options that enable it to fit right into an LP12. Not sure if the group buy is still going - I know there was/is a second phase.

It can still be obtained, if not without a little difficulty, and performs adequately well. Not that I would use it in a design of my own.... there are better ways to do it.

The Naim Armageddon performs somewhere between a Lingo 2 and a Lingo 3. So well worth a punt as a diy project. Lots to play about with, for example sample voltage , the exact value of the phase shift capacitor, and different voltages between the phases.

I have borrowed a large variac to try. The Valhalla runs at 83volts and 0.22uf so that will be my starting point.

Thanks for the links @ralphj

Can anyone explain the advantage on why a 500VA is better than a 400VA? Most people are using 500VA but doesn't the original use 400VA?
On a related note, Talema vs RS-PRO for example - its a transformer, does varies to choose one over the other?

I built two geddons for my LP12s. They are exactly the same in every part with the exception of the toroidal transformer. Both these are Talema but one is 300 VA (https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/toroidal-transformers/2575247/) the other 500 VA (https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/toroidal-transformers/2238960/).
The two geddons sound very (much more than expected) different. The bigger toroidal gives a more solid tone with a deeper a fuller bass. However I like both them because are a good matching with two differently configurated LP12s.

advertisement

Back