advertisement

what's better than chord cobra for CD3.5 to preamp?

naimnut

Deep in the Mines of Soul
Greetings Friends,

Comparing my Naim cd3.5 to the sound I'm getting out of my cheap dvd player & MHDT Orchid DAC it occurred to me that perhaps the Chord Cobra interconnect could be holding the CD3.5 player back. I never used to think of the CD3.5 as "veiled" but by comparison with the MHDT Orchid, connected via a fairly generic RCA/RCA cable...

Thanks, in advance, for any experience or advice.

Chord Chrysalis has long been out of production but I guess you can buy second hand and try it.

The Chord C-Line interconnect is very transparent for a budget cable, or try the Chord Clearway for more of what the C-Line can offer.

Greetings Friends,

Comparing my Naim cd3.5 to the sound I'm getting out of my cheap dvd player & MHDT Orchid DAC it occurred to me that perhaps the Chord Cobra interconnect could be holding the CD3.5 player back. I never used to think of the CD3.5 as "veiled" but by comparison with the MHDT Orchid, connected via a fairly generic RCA/RCA cable...

Thanks, in advance, for any experience or advice.
I think you are experiencing what I did many years ago: the CD3.5 actually is no better than a cheap disc spinner and DAC.

The Chord Chrysalis is good and is what Naim used to recommend for non-Naim sources connecting into Naim amplifiers.

Also, if you are not already using one, a dedicated upgraded power supply for the Naim CD3.5 will improve it.

Yes, I was quite surprised by the improvement a hicap made to my cd3.5.

You should also consider that your Orchid DAC is a well regarded performer on it's own.

It may be that you just like the Orchid DAC presentation more than the Naim CD3.5s

A dedicated CD Transport or Streamer into the Orchid DAC might improve things even further.

Flashback is a good VFM cable option, as is a Flatcap addition.
Apart from CD5i, a CD3.5 is lowest Naim CD performance.
That said, go listen to latest Rega Apollo if possible, overall better choice IMO.
The Couple II interconnect a perfect partner there.

Agree. It's nothing special and easily bettered for the same money or less.

I've not heard a Naim CD3 or CD3.5 for many a year. I remember demo'ing a few things in a dealer years ago when I was starting out in separates, Rega CD and Rega Integrated (might have been a Planet and Brio) and it wasn't quite what I was looking for. Dealer brings out a Naim CD3 and s/h Nait 1 and that was a big improvement. It showed me how important the source was, along with component matching to my ears.

Sounds like I'll be shopping for a Chord Chrysalis.

Don't waste your money. The new cable might sway the sound one way or another but it's not going to transform the sound of the CD player. I get it, it's Naim so must be wonderful, things move on. It was an OK player in its day but even a good budget DAC will beat it today.

I've not heard a Naim CD3 or CD3.5 for many a year. I remember demo'ing a few things in a dealer years ago when I was starting out in separates, Rega CD and Rega Integrated (might have been a Planet and Brio) and it wasn't quite what I was looking for. Dealer brings out a Naim CD3 and s/h Nait 1 and that was a big improvement. It showed me how important the source was, along with component matching to my ears.

IME CD3 entirely different and better than 3.5, but no spares.
New Rega players are way better than older ones, again IME

Don't waste your money. The new cable might sway the sound one way or another but it's not going to transform the sound of the CD player. I get it, it's Naim so must be wonderful, things move on. It was an OK player in its day but even a good budget DAC will beat it today.

Thats pushing it a bit

Cav,
I agree that a Beresford can sound quite good into Naim (own a Gatorized Caiman myself); however, IMHO it has more grunt and verve than many other DACs I have listened to.
Best,
Oliver

Not really. I found a Sony dvd player and Beresford DAC was equal to a cd3.5 and flatcap.

I think the 7520 is better than the CD 3.5. A Rega DAC is a lot better, makes the 3.5 sound budget. Considering you'll pick up a Rega DAC for similar money to what you'll get for a 3.5 and it has much more functionality I don't really know why anyone would stick with a 3.5 these days. Unless you just love that badge.

advertisement

Back