advertisement

best speakers ever heard

For next generations reading this, have to add to my list of small BBC's and ESL, also large Maggies. Also to qualify that I haven't heard at length ML's or huge Tannoys or something like a SP100.
There.

That probably just shows you are not a classical music fan! I’d argue it was the hardest thing to get right as a) there is an absolute reference (real instruments in a real concert hall) and b) it is hugely more dynamic and wide-band material.

You can say the same thing about rock music. In fact I suspect that more people know what a drum kit or electric guitar sounds like in real life than a cello or violin. Even if you don't own them, most people have heard these things up close in some context or another. I would say I have a pretty good idea of what a Stratocaster or a Precision Bass sounds like. And of course a voice is a voice.

On the question of how it is recorded, I think you have it the wrong way round. The fact that rock music is not as well recorded makes it harder to get right, not easier. If you want to show off your system, what do you play? Something sell recorded, clean sounding, sparse, good dynamic range, right? I have tracks that sound good on anything. It's why they love acoustic guitar and a singer in Hi-Fi shops.

The macro dynamics of say orchestral might be quite wide but micro? Not even close. Percussion for instance. You're listening at a distance of what, maybe forty or fifty feet? It's a defuse sound and nothing like as immediate as a rock drum kit up close.

Which leads on to timing. Classical ebbs and flows rather than sharp stops and starts of rock timing because an orchestra cannot time that precisely. It's impossible. So many musicians cannot be that tight and with the sounds coming from so far apart and so far away with so much reverberation you are never going to get music with timing which is as tight and fast. It's a different animal altogether.

So to make a good stab at rock music a system has to dig fast dynamics and scale out of a probably poor recording and still get tonal and ambient information right. Harder to do. That's what I've heard anyway.

Indeed. I have also found that classical music sounds good on most systems..

I think the most dramatic example I heard was a pair of Impulse horn speakers I had in the house to try. They sounded fine on classical but fell apart on anything else. They just collapsed into a tiny mess on rock music, totally lost it. Give then an acoustic guitar and they were happy as Larry.

Great story.

Wasn't there someone who built a pair of Westminsters here some years ago?

I don't know for sure, but I did collaborate for a while with Mike Harvey of Octave Audio.. (Not the German amp maker) who was engaged in making reproductions of Tannoy cabinets such as the big corner horns and, I think others.. to which purchasers could fit their own drive units.

I think Lockwood had a similar operation?

I would say I have a pretty good idea of what a Stratocaster or a Precision Bass sounds like.

Ok, lets take a Stratocaster as I have one sitting across the room from me as I type (1982, USA, hard-tail). What sound exactly? It sounds very different played clean through my £2k 6 Watt Rift valve amp than cranked through a row of Marshalls and then mic’d through a PA at a gig, or a 50 Watt Peavey transistor amp in a pub. That’s before we even start to contemplate the raft of FX pedals, mic positions etc. Basically unless it was *your* Strat, amp and pedal board on the record you haven’t the slightest clue as to what is on the record. You just weren’t there. This is also before we get to the whole array of studio FX etc.

Far easier to use a concert grand piano as a reference as everyone knows what one of those sounds like.

And of course a voice is a voice.

Again, do a little research on studio techniques. Chances are that voice is multi-tracked, limited, compressed, de-essed and has all manner of digital FX present. It is a manufactured commodity. An unreality. It always makes me giggle when folk set systems up with Norah Jones or whatever, I’ve nothing against her at all, but her voice is hugely processed and if you know what you are listening for a good system will highlight this. If it sounds like she’s singing in the room in front of you your system is masking a lot of information. Chances are there are at least three of her at any given time and you should easily hear that layering along with the limiting, spacial FX etc.

If your system makes a studio recording sound like a band in a venue, pub or whatever it really is hopelessly bad IMHO. That simply isn’t what is on the record or CD.

At Home - KEF 201/2s, least compromise of all the speakers I have had in various systems at home

At Show - I would say between two:
Real World Room - ATC SCM50 (possibly SL) at one of the Scalford shows, just did everything right in a pretty normal sized room.
If you had the space - Numerous massive Tannoys, again from various Scalford shows, some of the DIY horn setups sounded great but for the simiplicity and overall sound, it was a pair of 15" Golds IIRC. Never really heard any real esoteric kit, there was a pair of big Wilsons one year that did amazing bass but not much else...

Far easier to use a concert grand piano as a reference as everyone knows what one of those sounds like.

They do? Which brand? And how big a room is it in? Makes A big difference. I've heard them many times in different locations but it's really no different from any other type of instrument. None of us know exactly what it sounded like live. We're just looking for a facsimile that makes us feel that we do.

Well, I have a a few musical instruments at home, including a nice German piano, a drum set, and I know I will never ever get their real sound via my hi-fi.
Just a poor copy of them, but in high-fidelity!
I crave more 3D sound and realistic voices, plus natural sounds on acoustic music.

They do? Which brand? And how big a room is it in? Makes A big difference. I've heard them many times in different locations but it's really no different from any other type of instrument. None of us know exactly what it sounded like live. We're just looking for a facsimile that makes us feel that we do.
Exactly right! And the reason I gave the Vox Olympians the title is because they make you think “this sounds just as though the musicians are in the room” . . . .

I gave the Vox Olympians the title is because they make you think “this sounds just as though the musicians are in the room” . . . .

That's all any of us can do. This idea that we know what the original sounded like is garbage. Heck, people sitting in different places in a concert hall don't even hear the same thing!

I'll just throw this in...

Maybe 30 years ago I was in a large pub/restaurant in the early stages of a typical ' Office Christmas Do'.. As I recall we'd just been seated before being thrown our mass produced meals. Few of us ( and certainly not me..) were yet pissed to the state of insensibility... that came later...

Suddenly I heard music.. Real music...

I sought out the source thereof and discovered that it was a Salvation Army Brass Band playing two rooms away.

The speaker which can reproduce that...

Suddenly I heard music.. Real music...

I sought out the source thereof and discovered that it was a Salvation Army Brass Band playing two rooms away.

The speaker which can reproduce that...

That shock of recognition when you hear real instruments and know it instantly shows just how far sound reproduction has to go.

I wonder how much of the damage can be blamed on the recording process, and how much on playback?

For midrange still the LS3/5A. Nearly a 50-year-old design but still the best. Beats me why they have to cost so much though in 2020. We now have better resources, ways of making things and easier yet the price these things sell for boggles the mind, and there's nothing to them.

That shock of recognition when you hear real instruments and know it instantly shows just how far sound reproduction has to go.

I wonder how much of the damage can be blamed on the recording process, and how much on playback?

I personally think it's more about creating a "sound" you're happy listening to rather than trying to replicate something you've never even heard.
I'd liken it to taking a photo then editing it slightly with filters, saturation etc, it's possibly not quite the scene you were viewing but the end product is something you'd rather look at.

Just my humble opinion of course

For midrange still the LS3/5A. Nearly a 50-year-old design but still the best. Beats me why they have to cost so much though in 2020. We now have better resources, ways of making things and easier yet the price these things sell for boggles the mind, and there's nothing to them.

They are effectively a kit speaker.

The Living Voice Auditorium OBX's with external cross overs sounded impressive at the Bristol Show 2020 (powered by SJS electronics (I think) with a Kuzma front end). At the other end of the scale so did Rega's forthcoming Kytes as part of their System One (with Io and Planar 1).

I have a feeling you’d be quite shocked if you actually saw a rock or pop album being made. Everything assembled part by part, instrument by instrument, huge levels of compression and digital FX applied, and then the final mix engineered to sound good on a pair of Yamaha NS10s and cross-referenced on earbuds to make sure it sounds fine on a smartphone on the tube or wherever. Even in the ‘golden age’ of ‘70s rock the final mix was cross-referenced on Auratone Cubes, which were a simple low-bandwidth single-driver speaker to ensure the mix would sound good in the car, on the transistor radio in the cafe, on a Dansette etc.

And yet, I get huge pleasure from these "shocking" recordings.

e.g. however it's pieced together, Radar Love is a great recording. The way the bass and drums interact and drive the song along is captivating. I'm not sure how they got that so right on a low bandwidth monitor - luck according to you. I don't think so.

To my ears a good system can get close with well recorded jazz and classical. As I suggest upthread rock and pop is a manufactured commodity. Most of the audiophile favourites, DSOTM, Aja, Joni Mitchell etc etc never existed in a live context, the albums were painstakingly assembled part by part over a period of months and have absolutely nothing to do with live music at all. This is by design. They are meant to sound as they do, which as far as the creators are concerned is way, way better than any gig.

advertisement

Back