advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

@maccar Just look at the design both technically and physically, The WATT for example has 2x700va and 1x50va transformers + 200,000uF caps, and a damping factor of around 1000.
Then go see the prices, you'll soon realise you're paying almost double what they sell for in Japan. When buying from the EU (inc UK, for now) you're not getting shafted by the importer/tax.

But the best advice i could offer you is, get a demo.

Oh I thought you meant it sounded so much better. Understood.

Cracking DAC you have there Mr ryder. A much underrated device, and much closer to the Chord Dave than some would have you believe.
The Chord QBD76 truly transformed everything. I too believe that it if wasn't for the QBD76, the system wouldn't sound as real, lifelike and engaging as it is now. I am surely fortunate to own this piece and appreciate your previous assurances that this DAC is something something special. I do not have the privilege to try everything out there and have no intention to chase rainbows at this point. With this recent purchase of the Luxman which I intend to make it the last, I'm retiring for good. I know I've said this many times but I'm adamant this time it's for real. :D

Like your DBLs, my Harbeth and Marten will also likely follow me to my grave. No more swapping speakers and equipment, perhaps cables being the exception.

I feel you there, I've got my end game system too. its a good place to be :)

Will you be parting will all your naim gear now?
How are the harbeths with the Luxman?

My exception is also cables (DIY, so not esoteric) and more recently having my (DIY) speaker cabinets skill-fully remade in solid woods by a very generous PFM'er https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/maple-and-walnut-heaven.242578/page-2

Currently playing with some old FURUKAWA PCOCC speaker cables and waiting on 5m of SAEC SPC-850 Triple-C to land from Japan.

PS Tony has DBLs !

Think I’ve already stated that ;) .... but I’m not into telling people what they should like the sound of.
Oh I wouldn't have taken any notice of you, but you are free to an opinion without worrying about influencing people I think. And I'm guessing YOU thought it sounded better after audition at home?? Surely?

I’ve spent the best part of 30 years being into music and HiFi. I’m 50 soon, and think by now I’ve learnt to recognise what I like and dislike. Regardless of the situations, I demo all the stuff I have the intentions of keeping, which I do with a known reference.

I feel you there, I've got my end game system too. its a good place to be :)

Will you be parting will all your naim gear now?
How are the harbeths with the Luxman?

My exception is also cables (DIY, so not esoteric) and more recently having my (DIY) speaker cabinets skill-fully remade in solid woods by a very generous PFM'er https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/maple-and-walnut-heaven.242578/page-2

Currently playing with some old FURUKAWA PCOCC speaker cables and waiting on 5m of SAEC SPC-850 Triple-C to land from Japan.

PS Tony has DBLs !
No, I'm still keeping the Naim 282/HCDR/250DR for the Harbeth. The Naim amps are currently sitting on the display rack. I haven't tried the Harbeth with the Luxman but the time will come. Currently very much enjoying the Marten with Luxman.

The Luxman L-590AXII has very little faults. It is a much more neutral amp than the Naim as it doesn't highlight or exaggerate the frequency extremes that much. In the "Line Straight" mode, the purest mode which bypasses all tone controls, listening to good quality piano recordings or instrumental music is pure joy. The refinement is very good. The way music is presented is quite different when compared to the Sonneteer and Naim. All the instruments in the background sound clearer and more defined with good tone and detail. There is very little smearing with notes.

The only downside with the Luxman 590AXII is it sounds too smooth and flat playing rock and music with a lot of fast thumping bass, only in the "Line Straight" mode. I've experimented a little and the Luxman sounds a lot better, sounding much more like a Naim (but with added refinement) when the "Loudness" feature is enabled. I understand this Loudness feature is particularly useful for low level listening as the low and high frequencies are significantly boosted when it's enabled. However, I find this Loudness button to be useful when playing rock music at moderate to high levels. In Line Straight / direct mode rock music sounds flat with the Luxman.

It appears that the Naim(282/250DR) may have been tuned to have this Loudness feature enabled as default with its punchy and dynamic presentation(treble and bass boosted at both frequency extremes).

I am now actually a little worried for the Naim. The Luxman is sounding very good. Even with dynamic and rock music, either in Line Straight(direct) or Loudness mode, the clarity and detail are just astounding. Rock music which was previously not listenable with the Naim (sounding too bright) is very much listenable with the Luxman. It actually sounds great and the recording is not poor as what I thought of earlier.

With the Marten, the Naim is surely no match for the Luxman. With Harbeth, it may be a closer affair but frankly I m worried

My advise here would be to pocket some money and sell all the remaining naim stuff.

Once you have such an amp at the heart of a system you don’t need to change much other than cables and front end luxuries.

The thing I love most about my Yamaha is that it's both detailed, dynamic and weighty but also at the same time relaxed and effortless sounding; the music isn't forced upon you in an aggressive manner. Most of the Japanese hifi I've owned over the years has shared this characteristic. Admittedly I haven't heard much Naim and Linn gear, what I did hear was at a demo at Linn HQ where I had the opportunity to A/B the Linn Selekt DSM w/Katalyst against the Naim Unity Nova and also the Linn Akurate DSM. I appreciate I'm comparing apples to oranges but none of the aforementioned components portrayed the relaxed, effortless ebb and flow and natural timbre I get from my Japanese gear.

I've owned my A-S3000 for almost 4 and 1/2 years now and still love it. It's the best sounding amp I've owned, and the most expensive (I usually buy vintage gear, the A-S3000 is the first amp I've bought new). Please note I am a Yamaha fanboy and have had various Yamaha amplification at the heart of my systems for the last 15 years (CR-1000, CR-2020, CR-2040, CA-1000, A-S1000, A-S2000). I haven't heard the Luxman or Accuphase so cannot comment on their performance, but purely based on aesthetics alone I'd take the Yamaha over both of them!...:D

I'm a bit of a Yamaha fanboy too, but I think in this instance the A-3000/3200 is outclassed by the Luxman and Accuphase.

Both of the latter brands offer proper class-A variants too, but with reduced output naturally, if ultimate quality is what you are after.

I'm sure the Yamaha A-S3000 is excellent. In comparison to Luxman L-590AXII, thought of posting this. Steve Huff's remark at the bottom page of the A-S3000 review.

"I did a review of the MKII Luxman which is said to sound different than the MK1 (never heard the 1) but can say the Yamaha is not in the same league as the MKII Luxman. It’s nice but the MKII 590 is a “game over” kind of integrated IMO. The Yamaha is great if you can get a nice price and has some punch and power but it’s a tad dry in the sound compared to the Lux, and as beautiful as it is if side by side the Lux wins. With that said I did use this with some Guarneri Evo’s and it had plenty of power for them and sounded great. I loved it back when I wrote this but since have heard a few that bested it. Luxman 590 AXII, the Pass Labs INT-60 are two. It’s not bad by any means but again, depending on cost. if you can get one for $3-$3500 its a great buy."

Link to the Yamaha A-S3000 review : https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/the-yamaha-a-s-3000-integrated-amp-review/

My advise here would be to pocket some money and sell all the remaining naim stuff.

Once you have such an amp at the heart of a system you don’t need to change much other than cables and front end luxuries.
The Naim is actually reserved for the Harbeth although the Luxman may sound better than the Naim, even with the Harbeth. In my long-term plan the Marten/Luxman and Harbeth/Naim will be in separate systems. Having said that I appreciate your advice but I'd hate to do that when the time comes since I have spent a small fortune for the Naim and Chord cables specifically to optimise the Naim (I bought the Naim new and paid new prices).

The Luxman L-590AXII has very little faults. It is a much more neutral amp than the Naim as it doesn't highlight or exaggerate the frequency extremes that much. In the "Line Straight" mode, the purest mode which bypasses all tone controls, listening to good quality piano recordings or instrumental music is pure joy. The refinement is very good. <snip>

The only downside with the Luxman 590AXII is it sounds too smooth and flat playing rock and music with a lot of fast thumping bass, only in the "Line Straight" mode.
That downside was what persuaded me towards Accuphase rather than Luxman. Both sounded beautiful, full of colour and timbral detail, but the Accuphase could also do the excitement, drama and boogie factor of a good old flat earth system, whereas the Luxman couldn’t.

The Naim is actually reserved for the Harbeth although the Luxman may sound better than the Naim, even with the Harbeth. In my long-term plan the Marten/Luxman and Harbeth/Naim will be in separate systems. Having said that I appreciate your advice but I'd hate to do that when the time comes since I have spent a small fortune for the Naim and Chord cables specifically to optimise the Naim (I bought the Naim new and paid new prices).

I suppose time will tell!.... the chord cables should also sell very well over in Asia! ;-)

Yeah I actually believe it this time!! :D, especially since everything's DIY’ed bar the amp/psu! Saying that though, even the DNA has recently had its power supply capacitors changed and upgraded by me to Mundorf MLytics-AGs from Audionet 8x 18,000/63v/85c To 8x 22,000/63v/125c. Which made a noticeable improvement.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back