advertisement

Rega P7 - opinions?

Yes. I would love to buy a Kuzma but I need the SME 10 to go first.
It says so in my signature.

I ve been running a P7 for about 8 years and love it. It's the one thing I ve never had the urge to change other than I added an Audio Note cartridge a couple of years ago. For non faff, plug in and start listening its very good. Don't care what anybody else thinks about the ceramic I think its cool!

I have always wondered how a P7 with the Neo PSU would stack up against my P9, both with an Ania.

Both P7 and P9 prices seem to have risen lately, the P7 seems to be comfortably above a P6 and the P9 above the P8.

I have always wondered how a P7 with the Neo PSU would stack up against my P9, both with an Ania.

Both P7 and P9 prices seem to have risen lately, the P7 seems to be comfortably above a P6 and the P9 above the P8.
Not too far behind, I’d still expect the P9 to have the edge, it has the RB1000 arm, which although not night and day, is an improvement over the RB700... the P9 has the thicker, heavier ceramic platter too. As for the difference between the Neo PSU and the P9 PSU, I’m not so sure, the gap will have narrowed significantly, the Neo is a fair improvement over the older TT-PSUs and has more in common with the RP10 PSU.

I once read a review by a chap comparing P7 to P9.

He thought putting the rb1000 on the P7 was a nice improvement but took it nowhere near a P9, and not close to P9/rb700.

Tt before arm is the perceived wisdom here.

He also thought the P7 to P9 was the biggest gap in the Rega range of tts at the time.

I once read a review by a chap comparing P7 to P9.

He thought putting the rb1000 on the P7 was a nice improvement but took it nowhere near a P9, and not close to P9/rb700.

Tt before arm is the perceived wisdom here.

He also thought the P7 to P9 was the biggest gap in the Rega range of tts at the time.
The P7 and P9 share the same motor and the same bearing/sub platter. The plinth, platter, power supply and arm are different obviously... I would expect the Neo PSU to narrow the gap noticeably but I still think the P9 would be better. The platter, plinth and arm might look like trivial differences, but they’re not. It would be interesting to see/hear what happens when you swap the platters between them, it would be very easy if you had both of them next to each other... there has to be a good reason for the price difference between the platters, the P9 platter being much more expensive and a good portion of the cost of the deck.

So many seem to make so called "upgrades" to their Rega decks
Some of these may provide gains but surely reduced resale-value.

Never really liked the P7 looks, perhaps its the weird platter.
I'm sure its a nice player though.

In fact I hope Rega will move on from their current rather"Bling gloss" looks to a more classic look in future.
I have owned P1, P3 and latest RP8.
I really like their performance but no way I would buy latest P8/10 with such a lid.
I agree, (although it must have been a pain to manufacture!) and the first of the flywheel effect platters that Rega later developed in glass.

The P9 had a flywheel effect going on too as it had a thickened rim. It was hugely expensive to produce. The P7 was a smart bit of thinking as it took the rod that was removed from the centre where the inner platter mated and chopped it into the bits that were then bonded to the underside of the platter for the flywheel. A clever bit of recycling and enormously cheaper than the P9 platter. I always loved the P9 but couldn't really get my head round the P7 looks. Good sounding deck though.

The P9 had a flywheel effect going on too as it had a thickened rim. It was hugely expensive to produce. The P7 was a smart bit of thinking as it took the rod that was removed from the centre where the inner platter mated and chopped it into the bits that were then bonded to the underside of the platter for the flywheel. A clever bit of recycling and enormously cheaper than the P9 platter. I always loved the P9 but couldn't really get my head round the P7 looks. Good sounding deck though.
Maybe I’m an odd one out but I love the look of the P7, probably the most striking looking deck they’ve made (Naiad excepted)... but I do understand that “striking” can be divisive.

I also love the looks of the Planar 8 and Planar 10... in fact I really want a Planar 10!

Next might be a "Karousel" for all those Rega Oldies
There’s been various third party aftermarket bearing options for Rega decks over the years, more than any other deck I’m aware of. I have the stock bearing well and ball bearing but I’ve changed the sub platter for a GT reference... an easily reversible mod, but not one I’ll be changing unless I sell the deck... which I doubt I will (it’ll probably be passed down to my daughter eventually).

advertisement

Back