advertisement

First Album on with new kit.

Ten New Songs, L Cohen, obviously.....

This is one of the others, alongside 10,000 Maniacs - Blind Man's Zoo. The last 4 tracks as well as being bloody marvellous are about the best test I've come up with from what I have on vinyl. There's a solo vocal with minimal backing, a poppy piano-led number, an onslaught of church organ and drumming and ending with strings going up in flames.

In fact, it's going on next.

I usually play Rush’s Permanent Waves. It’s a first press, been looked after but 40 years of use has generated some ageing.

I normally only need to listen to Jacobs Ladder. If the new component can articulate Lifeson’s rhythm playing (he is so underrated in this department) and not distort at the thunderous end of the song then I know that I’ve not bought a turkey. Funnily enough the best tt for this song has been a PL71 with a Denon 103. Must be something about the conical stylus....

Always Kate Bush - The Dreaming.

I have a few copies, but always the japanese pressing. Then more Kate Bush.

'Chip Meditation' by Software

Or 'ECM Spectrum' sampler, specifically the track 'Clint' by John Abercrombie. If you can hear one of the trio cough at the end of the track, the system's a good 'un.

The OP choice of Lexicon of Love is an interesting one. I wouldn't play the whole LP but a fave choice of mine is Look of Love 12".
I tend to play tracks rather than albums when trying new stuff - Aretha Franklin, Respect; Jacko, Man in the Mirror; Bruce Hornsby, The Way It Is;

If I was to play an album it would be by Natalie Merchant

When I changed my speakers recently to ESL 63s the first CD i played was Neil Young Live at Massey Hall and when I finally finished upgrading and rebuilding my LP12 a few days ago it was Miles Davis, Kind of Blue followed by Joni Mitchell, Shadows and Light. Only played vinyl since.

Scritti Politti ‘Cupid & Psyche’ - a better sounding slice of 80s pop you’ll struggle to find. Loads going on, teeth-rattling bass and if the first 30” of Perfect Way don’t have you gazing lovingly at your kit, something’s amiss.

Scritti Politti ‘Cupid & Psyche’ - a better sounding slice of 80s pop you’ll struggle to find. Loads going on, teeth-rattling bass and if the first 30” of Perfect Way don’t have you gazing lovingly at your kit, something’s amiss.

That’s a stonkingly good album and a brilliant test for any kit. Great choice indeed.

advertisement

Back