advertisement

Motorhomes

I tried one during the winter of 2016/17. The Camping and Caravanning Club had a deal with a rental company and the headline price was £750 for 4 weeks during the winter providing a C&CC club winter sun holiday was booked. We had 6 weeks and travelled to Spain via France and enjoyed the break but it cured us of motor home envy. I think the deal is ongoing but not sure of current costs.

We are in Portugal now with car and caravan and surrounded by motor homes, one owner tells me he has been here for 4 months and has a hire car parked beside it! Needless to say, the majority of user / owners are retired but not necessarily in their dotage:)

Fine if you are going to travel extensively but otherwise a white elephant in my view.

Jim
You got a motorhome for £750 for a month?

Having been lucky enough to do both with my wife, I would suggest the modern tent route with foam beds, gas cooking area and comfortable recliners.

The main abvantage is having a normal car to explore an area during the daytime - enabling one to reach more remote destinations or to walk more interesting paths.

Roof rack for the bike. Job done.

I have hired one a couple of times and they can be fun. I wouldn't worry about the loos, you get used to them very quickly and modern motorhomes have decent bathrooms, kitchens, central heating etc, so it is hardly roughing it.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy one unless you are planning on using it for at least 6-8 weeks each year, otherwise the cost is difficult to justify, just use hotels instead.

I would definitely hire one before buying, to see if the lifestyle works for you.

Motor bikes are for w@nkers......

I would never have guessed you had a garage full of motorbikes...
images

Very nice, but £64k ?

Not cheap, but the decent ones aren’t. It’s a bit of a mind bender and I went round the houses with it saying ‘HOW MUCH!!??’ more times than I can remember, but if you buy a California, the total cost of ownership is incredibly low. I swapped for a new one last year with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty (important with all the kit on them) only because my previous one dropped less than 3% in 2 years from new.

Porsches are for cvnts

IIRC you had one?

I have had two bikes, last time I rode was in 1988, I was knocked off my CB750, by a northern ar5e which wrecked my right leg. Whilst I was in traction recovering in hospital, my 400/4 chop was lifted.

I still maintain the bikes are for w@nkers. I have seen more stupidity from bike riders over the few years than any other road users. Some of the fools on the roads in the far north or Scotland have a death wish....

Motorhomes great if you're touring around. SWMBO's idea of camping's a three-star hotel but even she enjoyed our jaunt around Australia in a Merc. camper. France is good for campers too, lots of places to stay on the outskirts of towns & villages. Bit of a pain if you want to travel out from a base & have to keep putting everything away. A caravan's a better bet for this type of use, but you need a big tug to haul around the latest models, they're heavy b*ggers but have all mod. cons.

After our Aus adventure we bought a caravan off my ex & her hubby, which was good fun for a bit & we met some lovely folks as we toured around. The weather was always cr*p though, even when we went to the south of France. No fun with two muddy dogs.

I always feel sorry for people who have to put up with neighbours who have bloody caravans or motorhomes on the drive.

As someone who got dragged around on regular touring caravan holidays as a youth, and in a decent van at that, I'd say don't inflict such savagery on your kids Rich.

A dear friend bought one just like that and lives in it. He is allowed to park it on the drive whilst he rents out his house. The income from the house, allied to his state pension, allows him to have a little home studio in there and enough income for life's essentials (much of which he seems to smoke).

I hired one a couple of years ago, they are OK if you like to take a dump in a cupboard and sleep in a drawer!...

Actually, it was reasonably comfortable, but there are a number of disadvantages:
1. They are pretty slow and difficult to park, it won't fit under height restrictors for things like supermarkets.
2. Once you do get up to speed on a motorway there is a load of noise from the flimsy bodywork shaking and vibrating.
3. When you arrive at your destination you will need another form of transport for local runs.
4. The one we hired dumped all of the stored water when the temperature outside went below 4degC. This happened every night we had it (in May) so we couldn't use the shower.

I wouldn't bother with one again.

advertisement

Back